Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blooker_gw

Newbie visiting Jungle Jacks this weekend

blooker
10 years ago

I just moved back to San Diego after living in Denver for almost 10 years. I fell in love with plumerias during my first visit to Hawaii. I never thought that I could actually grow my own plumeria plant until I moved back and rented a house with this large plumeria tree out front and after driving around the neighborhood and seeing large trees in everyone's yard.

I started doing some research on plumerias and found this forum and discovered that I am not too far from Jungle Jack's so I'm planning a visit over the weekend. What are some JJ favorites? I think I'm looking mainly for more compact plants but won't rule out any larger ones. I'm planning on keeping them in containers until we buy a house out here.

I picked up two no name plants at home depot that appeared to be relatively small and each plant had over 7 tips that branched out pretty close together. I did see some JJs at Lowes but they didn't look too good and had only generic "premium rainbow" and "premium white" labels on them so I passed.

I also want to start experimenting with rooting cuttings and planting some seeds just to see what the process is actually like. I ordered some seeds earlier this week. Maybe I can go around the neighborhood and ask to purchase some cuttings. It's too bad that I don't care for the flower shape on the tree in front of the house or else I would ask the owners for permission to cut off a few branches that is blocking the front steps. From looking at the tree, it looks like several cuttings have been taken from the tree over the years.

I don't have too much experience with gardening. When I lived in Denver, I only lived in homes with strict HOAs where all the landscaping was done by the HOA and every flower planted in the ground had to approved so this left me to mainly planting basil and hatch chiles in containers on the balcony. I guess I'm itching to start gardening because this house has such beautiful beds all around the house.

Oh and I found that there will be a plumeria festival in Balboa Park over Labor Day weekend.

I appreciate any advice from the experts here. Sorry for the long post.

Comments (11)

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Blooker,

Welcome back to Southern California.

California Sunset and Desert Sunrise are amazing plumeria at Jungle Jack's, but there are a lot of other beautiful ones there. Check out Tiger if he has one blooming, TBred Tracy is a big bloomer. Have a great time checking out the blooms and let us know what you end up liking best.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

Maybe you could call John and have him give you a tour with some suggestions on what to buy.

You are sooo very lucky! Please report back with your experiences and don't forget to take a camera, please. :)

• pcput
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry for you, blooker. You just might go into plumeria overload by going to JJ's. Please let us know if you make it back home in one piece!
    Peg

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

lol @ Peg!

• blooker
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SimiDude: I'll add those to the list to look at. I have a feeling there will be too many varieties that I will lose focus. I spent the day reading this forum and it appears that some of the crowd favorites are divine and CA sunset so I'll def have to check them out.

I think the two plant I bought from home depot are dwarf singapores. (At least from what I read on some of the older threads on this forum.) They are from a nursery in Fallbrook and labeled plumeria rubra but looking at the plant and leaf shape, I think they look like singapores. The plants had either white or pink tags inserted into the pots. I bought one white and one that was missing a tag so it can either be white or pink. I believe I only paid $6 each because when I got home and looked at my receipt, the clerk charged me for 3 gardenias when I only bought 1 gardenia.

Hopefully I don't get plumeria overload so quickly.

• nauticalcoasts
    10 years ago

You are so lucky to live that close to the nursery! I live states away and will unfortunately have to have mine shipped to me.
    Anyway, here is a list of my favorites from them:
    - Divine (miniature)
    - Tangerine Dreams
    - Scentsational (STRONG fragrance)
    - Star White
    - Fire Storm
    - Aztec Gold (Peach scent)
    - Tiger
    - Gina
    - Macarena
    - Delightful (I've heard nothing but GREATNESS about the fragrance)
    I don't own any of these, but I do love the pictures of them. You can also search around for better images of them on the internet as well.

Seedlings are so fun to watch grow and they grow fast. Well, it seems that way to me. However, you will have to wait an average of 3-8 years to have one bloom. Although I have seen some posts on this forum of people's seedlings blooming in one year. It will take three bloom cycles to know the final color and shape of the flower though. The coolest thing though is that a seedling is not a variety - it is a new one that you get to name!
    Here's an example of changing blooms: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/plumeria/msg0812401421956.html

Glad you're loving plumerias! It's a fun obsession, haha. Don't forget to visit their website if you haven't done so already. I'll leave a link just in case. Have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jungle Jack's

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Nauticalcoasts, thanks for reminding me - Firestorm is awesome. Great color, scent - and the flowers even look cool after they've faded!

I didn't see Aztec Gold on JJs list - did you mean maybe Inca Gold? Blooker - if you can find Aztec, it's a great one. A number of plumeria smell like peach - this one smells like PEACHES AND BUTTER!! You may find yourself licking this one's petals, lol.

Tiger is striking - pink flower with what look like tiger stripes coming down from the sides. I regret I didn't get this one! Really unusual and beautiful.

Rhonda has a great scent, Scentsational can knock you out with its great scent, and Gina is a really beautiful flower that lasts for days when picked. Divine is a big big bloomer (of small flowers) - best I think in warmer weather when the pink shows, but beautiful either way.

Best of luck, but mostly I hope that a lot of flowers are blooming when you go, so that you can actually see and smell them!

• blooker
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just got back. I ended up getting a Divine and CA Sunset. I almost grabbed a J105 but I wasn't sure if I liked the blooms. There were no J105s in bloom so I couldn't tell based on just internet photos. I think I was saved from plumeria overload because many of the plants were not blooming. There were a lot of plants.

I also visited another Vista plumeria grower named JD. He had over 4,000 plants.

Here's Divine:

• blooker
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can't remember the name of the woman working but she was pulling several of the 2 and 5 gallon blooming plants for the Plumeria Festival next weekend.

CA Sunset was on my wish list and was blooming during our visit. I grabbed this smaller 4 tipped non-blooming one. I am attracted to small plants. The other Vista grower also had CA Sunset and Penang Peach. I liked the shape of the CA Sunset bushy tree he had in the ground. He told me that CA Sunset and Penang Peach were the same. I believe I read that CA Sunset is a seedling of Penang Peach so although similar, they are not exactly the same. Many of his plants were not marked.

• blooker
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The other Vista Grower I visited also had an impressive collection and a large hot and humid greenhouse. I picked up this large Celadine for $10. He was having a special on his white plumerias.

• blooker
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also got this Nebel's Rainbow cutting. Hopefully I don't kill it.

I don't know how to upload more than one picture at a time.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals