Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb13_gw

Does anyone know what the name of this is?

barb13_gw
9 years ago

This is one of the ones that my son and grandson found in a trashcan on the way to school last February. When I was watering last night I saw that it was blooming and just wonder if anyone knows what the name of it is. Thanks, Barb

Comments (16)

• njz7
    9 years ago

It looks a bit like this one, I think, Leela, AKA Rainbow Starburst

Here is a link that might be useful: FCN Leela, AKA Rainbow Starburst

This post was edited by NJZ7 on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 14:30

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    9 years ago

Here are my two cents - Although I do not have one, it reminds me of pictures I have seen online of a plumeria called "Candy Stripe". Definitely not curled enough to be a Leela.

• barb13_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think that you are right. I looked up candy stripe and they sure look the same. A very pretty flower for one that was found in the trash. Thanks for all the help, Barb

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

It's beautiful, Barb!!!

Love the colors.. Stunning..

In the trash? Argh!!!

Great save!!!

Laura

• chuy415
    9 years ago

Wow. Beautiful colors. Can't believe someone tossed it ;(.

Chuy

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    9 years ago

Yes, it is a beauty - I've been tempted to pick one up but always hesitated, I guess I needed to be near a dumpster in the right neighborhood ;)

• barb13_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is one of the ones that my grandson and son saw on the way to school. They called right away and my husband went to pick them up. All together there was about 60 cuttings some of the bigger ones were different mostly yellow but the others about 50 are this color. I just have a problem with not trying to start them all. I need to tell them to stop letting me know that someone put a lot in the trash. My son again find some more last week and dropped them off. Not sure where I am going to put them all. Here is a picture of the last brunch of cuttings. Look in the corner and see the really big piece. I can not believe that it is overwheling at this point. Barb

• angel325
    9 years ago

Hello, I have that very same plumeria. Its an older variation since I have had mine for over 20 years. When I look at candy stripe it sometimes seems a bit brighter than mine so I dont know. I have heard it called Lei Rainbow as well. They are probably the same or very close. Here is a picture of mine. It is a very nice compact grower but the flowers dont keep too well, but it has a lot of flowers to make up for that.

Angela

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

Barb, I second the Candy Stripe reference. It even has the six petals so common to Candy stripe.

Angela,
    I am not sure about yours. Any chance you can provide additional info such as growth habits, leaf shape, fragrance, etc.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

Candy Stripe with a mix of 5 and 6 petal flowers.

• Pondplant_kid
    9 years ago

they might have thrown them away because they had trimmed their larger tree. most likely they either did not know you could grow them from cuttings or has a ton rooted already. probably both. nice find.

Josh

• texasplum
    9 years ago

cant beat that!!
    Trash?! not hardly!

• seagal007
    9 years ago

Nice find! My very first plumeria Was a trash find I've been hooked ever since.

• barb13_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My son and grandson found more the other day and I had to say just get a few cuttings not the whole trash. I am really running out of room and it is so overwhelming trying to find a place to put new cutting. I have been very lucky and I am happy. So don't think that I am complaining. Barb

• angel325
    9 years ago

Hi Kms2,
    The picture I posted earlier is the same plant just from June and this one I took today. This image shows the bloom looking more like the flower in question. I have never known what its called. I have heard Rainbow Lei but not sure. Its a compact grower with lots of blooms and very little smell.

Angela

• plumeriarainbow
    9 years ago

Where do you live, Barb? I could take a few off your hands!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services