Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joellyn_gw

When to transplant Plumerias in the ground?

joellyn
12 years ago

I have several Plumerias in pots, a few which are blooming, and I want to transplant all of them into the ground. I think they will do much better in the ground if I can get the right soil combination. In my area the soil is clay, but I've been dealing with that for many years, and everything in my garden is thriving. Is it better to wait until late fall when the leaves start to fall off (last year they didn't start losing leaves until after the first of the year!), or is it okay to transplant now?

Comments (19)

• springpaintings
    12 years ago

I'm thinking about planting my cuttings in the ground too. I just want to plant them down once and leave them there without digging them up for the winter. Too lazy. Does anyone know a good way to protect them in the winter? Maybe a large plastic bag over them.

• joellyn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, tdogdad, I read your earlier post on how to amend the soil, and it is similar to how I amend mine for my plantings, but I will be extra diligent when I'm ready to plant the plumerias. So, you really think it's better to wait until next spring to transplant rather than in late fall after the leaves have fallen? I was hoping to get them in sooner, as some of the larger ones are in need of transplanting to either larger pots or into the ground. I mean, they're fine right now, healthy, blooming well, so I can wait until next spring if it's what you recommend. Thanks again for your input.

• joellyn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Springpaintings, I'm not sure you should plant your cuttings straight into the ground....at least I haven't heard of anyone doing that but I could be wrong. I guess it really depends on your soil and where you are located. Sounds from your description like you need to overwinter them, and if you live anywhere where the ground freezes or even if you get hard freezes during the winter they aren't going to survive. I'm in the temperate climate of
    So Calif and a couple of winters ago we had an unusual freeze one night and I lost a couple of branches on one of the plants. It survived but it was damaged. I think you should start your cuttings in the black plastic pots first until they are established. Maybe tdogdad has some better advice for you on this.

• springpaintings
    12 years ago

Joellyn, you're right I should leave them in pots. I'm in S.F. area and the winter temperatures are around the 40* 50*. Maybe I'll try planting 1 down (just 1) and see what happen. I see pictures of plumeria trees on the web and they're so tall...makes me want to turn these cuttings into a trees and the only way may be to plant them in the ground.

• plumerias_lover
    10 years ago

I live in the Central Coast, California (San Luis Obispo County). I would like to transplant my plumerias on a slope in my backyard. The slope is really rock. I dug a few holes today, but hesitated to transplant them. Can someone advise about the soil, and is it a good time (November) for transplanting them? Thank you.

• isobea
    10 years ago

Hi everyone, I am in San Diego North County (3 miles from the beach) and two years ago I planted unrooted cuttings directly into the ground. They all rooted and are doing very well. BUT I did this in May when the soil was warmer. So I would listen to tdogdad's advice. He's been growing plumerias for a long time and has an awesome collection.
    Good luck, Iso

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

I agree with the others. Re-potting or planting in the ground this time of year, especially in clay soil is a recipe for failure. Wait until spring. They will fine root bound in pots while they are dormant. As far as cuttings directly into the ground, I always did them that way, BUT in the Florida Keys, when the soil is warm and the soil there is sandy and drains really well, and in the spring before the rains came. I have also done it in the summer rainy season and had some rot. It just depends. A week of rainy, cloudy weather, the rot rate increases dramatically so once we got into July August I then root cuttings in water bottles so I can control how much water they get.

• plumerias_lover
    10 years ago

Thanks for all advice. If so, I will wait until April.

• sjnesbit1
    8 years ago

Ok...I transplanted cuttings into my raised garden beds...now I want to transplant them into the ground. What time of year? Fall? Spring? I live in Riverside in Southern California

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    8 years ago

In South Texas I would transplant in the spring. I don't think there would be any reason why Riverside would be much different based on my recollection of the climate out there.

• tdogdad
    8 years ago

The reason I plant in March is because during late fall and winter there is very little root growth. The plant in dormancy is prone to any problems with too much water or cold. In march, the roots begin again and this provides 9-10 months to get established. This has worked for me. However, in California and Florida you can successfully plant up to late October. Springpaintings' rooting in the ground is possible as long as you are not watering the cutting. Rooting in the ground opens up a whole can of worms and I prefer a small bottle or a bag where the environment can be better controlled.

• grandmalinda51lg3
    8 years ago

I just bought 3 Plumereria trees, about 7 foot tall, the guy I got them from dug them out, I need to put them in the ground now or would it be better to pot now until Spring. I'm in So Cal

• bossyvossy
    8 years ago

need to know where you live. In my zone 9a Houston, I would keep them potted and enjoy outdoors thru early Nov, then bring in garage, then take out in April or May. My plumies will not survive even our mild winters planted inground so all mine are potted.

• bossyvossy
    8 years ago

here are my container grown plumies. Summers in the patio, winters in the garage. Tried growing inground but one tree with a trunk that was 3" in diameter died during a colder than average winter. I was bummed. So no more inground.

• bossyvossy
    8 years ago

Max size container is 15 gal, which is the most I can handle with a dolly. They are a PITA to overwinter but my strategy is to keep it at a dozen different cultivars. Six on one side and six on another. Also I've been gradually growing compact varieties, which make the chores that much easier. A drip system has been a godsend also. Saves $ on plant sitter too

• lmhoward527
    6 years ago

I'm in So. Florida and some idiot planted two beautiful plumerias up against the house on the side they get shade all day long. I've lived in this house for 4 years and they've only bloomed once. I finally have the motivation to dig them out and save them. I am going to pot them until I can get the bed ready. When would be the best time to put them in the ground? I'm pretty sure I am somewhere in zone 8B or 9A. Thanks! This will be my first shot at Plumerias.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    6 years ago

I recommend you start a new post with your question. We have lots of forum members from your area which may then see your question.

• David Cortez
    5 years ago

I’m in south Texas when would be the best time to transfer plumeria to ground or should I just keep it in the pot?