Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gidgetsocal

Musk Rainbow today

gidgetsocal
9 years ago

Here is a picture of Musk Rainbow today. It has a nice scent, and I enjoy its color. It blends orange, brown, and purple, fading to a soft lavender. It is one of my favorites.

Comments (32)

• rox146
    9 years ago

a real STUNNER!

• texasplum
    9 years ago

Have not seen that one before! Beautiful and thanks for sharing

• chuy415
    9 years ago

Yes Rox.... STUNNER!!!!! agree.... very beautiful... love the colors!! :)

Chuy

• SHhhhh
    9 years ago

My Musk Rainbows are definitely my favorite! Looking good.

• rox146
    9 years ago

would this be that color in our coastal area????

• gidgetsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

roxanne- Thanks! I do love this one.This is the color I get with temps. averaging high 70s to low 80s here on the coast. I got this from Matt at Island Plumeria a few years ago. His Open House is coming up! :-)

Thanks, texasplum! The first time I saw this one, it had me at hello! ;-)

Hi Chuy! Thanks so much! I love the colors on this one, too! As it fades, it changes color in a good way.

SHhhhh - One of my favorites as well!! Thank you!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Wendi !!!!

This is such a beauty.. LOVE it!!!

Congratulations!!!

Laura

• SHhhhh
    9 years ago

Mine looks a little different here in central Florida, but yours looks great! It could also be the camera.

• gidgetsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Laura!! I had to wait for this one to open. Of course, it was a stinker and decided to open up when I was in Mammoth. :-) When I left, all the buds were still too closed to open them. Otherwise, you know I would have pried one open with my little fingers ;-).
    I love it, too!! Thank you!!!

SHhhhh- I do see a lot of variation in color with this one. The blooms change color daily. I'll post another pic from yesterday. You can see the older bloom is a faded purple. I can't even imagine what the Florida heat and humidity do for it! Please post a pic if you can!

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    9 years ago

Beautiful!!

Lonnie

• SHhhhh
    9 years ago

These are from a few years ago, but they show the difference in older and new flowers:

This was my first flower from this year. The camera settings were on "vivid" so there is a little saturation.

And here is a shot with the cell phone camera:

This post was edited by SHhhhh on Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 15:47

• rox146
    9 years ago

all sooooo lovely, roxanne

• gidgetsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Lonnie!!

SHhhhh- I love the colors - so vivid and beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

• gidgetsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The new blooms that opened up today are much darker than the ones before - much more maroonish/brown. Odd because the weather has been pretty consistent.

Makes me wonder what the timing is between when you get heat and humidity and how long after blooms show color change. Just curious...

• barb13_gw
    9 years ago

WOW!! Beautiful, I like the different colors at different times. What a winner and one that I will have to put on my wish list. Thanks for sharing. Barb

• texasplum
    9 years ago

wow...what an amazing flower! cant believe how much it changes, On the must have list now! thanks yall for sharing

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Those blooms are all so wonderful. What a treat to view those. Love the colors.
    Rick

• jandey1
    9 years ago

Gidget, those are the best pics of Musk Rainbow/George Brown I've seen! Very beautiful shape and colors!

• gidgetsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Barb- Thanks so much! I love how it changes its look. If I could have only 5, this would be one of them. ;-)

Shane - Thanks again! I am really enjoying Musk Rainbow this year. It is still changing from day to day. Yesterday's blooms were even a little darker with a more golden center.

rcharles - Thank you for your kind words! Much appreciated!

Jandey! Mahalo for the huge compliment! That's really so nice of you to say. I wish I could take credit, but this flower is very photogenic. ;-) Thanks so much!!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

Very pretty. Fantastic color. I have heard about this variety but was not previously impressed by what I had seen. This changes everything.

9 years ago

I'm in love...

;-)

Laura

• gidgetsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kms2- Thank you so much! I can't find one thing that I don't like about it! ;-)

Laura!! Head over heels!! Heehee!! xo!

Good night, and have a great weekend!!

• Mary1956
    9 years ago

Beautiful. I've been trying to find one of these but so far no luck.... So will just have to enjoy all the beautiful pictures in the meantime. :-)

9 years ago

Wendi.. Still Loving this one.. Wow!!! Still on my head tho!! ;-)

Mary.. Did you check Florida colors? MPG? Plumeria Hut?

Just some thoughts...

;-)

Laura

• gidgetsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mary - If you are in Cali, Island Plumeria in Northridge is where I found mine. Another possibility - I saw that Matt from 1-stop aloha on ebay was offering one recently.

Laura! I'm still upside down for this one, too! Heehee! Here she is today after watering this morning. It has been pretty hot here, so she has her dark coat on just in time for fall!

Have a wonderful weekend!!

• SHhhhh
    9 years ago

Gidget, that is awesome!! I love the dark colors when they first open up. Great job!

This post was edited by SHhhhh on Sun, Sep 21, 14 at 21:34

• rox146
    9 years ago

Wonderful shot! roxanne

• No-Clue
    9 years ago

Beautiful!! I love MR too! Very different from all my other flowers.

Unfortunately it's hard to root and Matthew has been sold out all season. Hopefully he will have more next year.

A must have! Thanks for sharing!

• blulagoon
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! Unusual and beautiful colors, and perfect for fall; orange, brown, and maroon/purple. I've been wanting one of these too.
    It keeps coming up in the thread about heat and humidity affecting the color of blossoms. How does it? Does it make the colors fade or intensify?
    How about the scent? How would you describe it? Is it musky? Does it project into the air or is a 'stick your nose into the blossom' kind of scent?

• gidgetsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

SHhhhh - Thanks so much!! I love the dark buds when they first open, too. I didn't get this color last year. MR seems to get better with age! And heat!!

roxanne - Coming from you, that's a huge compliment! I always love your photos!!

No-Clue - Thanks! I'm glad I was able to find a rooted plant. I don't always have the best luck when it comes to rooting. MR is a must have for me, too!

blulagoon- Thanks so much! I've found that heat and humidity make the colors intensify. The scent is nice, like coconuts in my opinion. I love the smell. It doesn't project into the air, but I don't have to stick my nose all the way in there to smell it. :-) Side note, Matt from Island Plumeria also told me that places that get really good heat, have great color, but smaller blooms compared to the same flower in cooler climates. I've found this to be true when comparing the same flower from my tree in Cali to my brother's tree in Arizona. He gets the dark color, but my blooms are larger.

Happy Friday everyone! Have a great weekend!

• rox146
    9 years ago

gidget...have this at the top of my list now....again, great photos! roxanne

• gidgetsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, roxanne! The heat wave has finally passed, but the effects can still be seen on MR. So different from a few months ago- even a few weeks ago!

Take care!
    Wendi

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax