Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blaze!!

Posted by jandey TX8 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 14:27

Just in time for the heat wave that is August in Austin, Blaze opened up for her second bloom cycle (that I know of). Only took a few years, but you get used to waiting with these plants :)

So difficult to get the colors on any red, but this one is orangy red with those distinctive dark gold sparkles.
2014-08-08 07.35.57

The colors on the next few pics are pretty close to real life.
2014-08-10 16.00.30

Funny, as the flowers get older they start to close up again and fall off almost completely closed.
2014-08-11 07.49.34

The leaves, which are very distinctive, also start to close toward the end of the day. This is inflo #2.
2014-08-17 13.06.12

It will be a few years before this tree is big enough to take cuttings, so I'm sorry I can't share it. And Rox, the scent is herbal/spicy but very faint. Thought you might ask ;)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blaze!!

J,
that is a fantastic bloom. The gold really sets the red off. Interesting about the leaves and blooms closing up.

o

Jandey, I was going to ask...sounds wonderful!!!! Where is it from? roxanne

o

Thank you, K. This is my favorite red, and the only other I've ever seen in person or pics that has the orangy overtone is JL Red-Orange, which I also have but hasn't bloomed yet. One day I'll hopefully compare them.

Rox, this is one of three big seedlings I bought from a gentleman who grew them from seeds. His memory, as he says, is terrible and he only thought that maybe this was grown from a seed from India. No other information he could recall.

o

Wow! Blaze is on fire!

Beautiful, Jen!

o

Gorgeous!!

Love it!! :-)

Laura

o

I think it's getting better each time it blooms Jen! "Beautiful"
Peg

o

wow great color!

o

darn....another for the "wish list"

o

I was thinking the same thing, need to add it to my wish list. It sure is has some beautiful colors. Barb

o

Hot, hot, hot! ;-)

o

Jen,

This is beautiful!

Lonnie

o

Wow! You need to find someone with a good camera that can reproduce the red to your liking. THEN you should be able CLEAN UP selling cuttings of that one on EBay.

Seriously.

o

Jen,

Blaze just gets better and better. The colors on her are amazing. I always enjoy seeing pictures of her. Please put me on your list of people wanting a cutting. I would love to see it bloom in "my" yard :)

Joan

o

Thank you, everyone! I wish I could take credit--all I did was keep her alive, LOL. I was very surprised the man was willing to give her up but he had to thin his collection very dramatically and this was maybe a shy bloomer for him, too.

Peg, the cutting of the grape-scented flowering seedling came from him, too, and I'm still waiting for any sign of an inflo on that one. At least it's very compact.

Dave, at the rate this one grows and branches I'll be able to take cuttings in 2020 or so :) But thank you for your confidence!

Joan, we still have a seedling cutting deal, my friend! How are you? It's been a long time! And I couldn't go to the sales this summer. Hope your patch is doing awesomely!

o

WOW Jen!! What a special bloom you have there! That's very cool, a real gem to have in your collection and I always think what a great name for it too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here