Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave_in_nova

Photos from early this morning

Major apoligies ahead of time for the crappy photos. I hesitated to post them. It was dark out and I was in a hurry to get off to work! Anyway, this is what's blooming now.

Jeannie Moragne, a nice cluster. Flowers don't last long though.

Kimo, one of my favorites because it's a reliable bloomer.

Penang Peach, my all-time favorite variety so far.

Lei Rainbow, never blooms in large clusters for me. Only one or two blooms at a time. Looks better from the side than from the top.

Comments (14)

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Hi Dave,
    how does Kimo grow in VA? My Kimos in Texas have thin branches and grow lanky. Very similar to Charlotte Ebers. The plants are not very attractive. I am going to graft them on the canopy of other plumerias.

My Lei Rainbow grows the same way. Very few blooms at a time.

tc,
    George

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Dave thanks so much for taking the time to post those pics! You have a nice bunch of blooms there, very pretty! I love how the Penang Peach has 3 different looking blooms on there at the same time, very cool.

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Dave,

Always a pleasure to see your blooms. I remember your Kimo from past summers--your photos convinced me that I had to have it. Thanks for posting!

Greg

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    Original Author
    11 years ago

George,

Kimo does have thin branches, but because it's a reliable bloomer for me, like at least 1/2 the tips bloom, and I like the wide petals and fragrance. I'm keeping it.

Penang Peach has nearly every good quality I look for in a plumeria. It blooms in big clusters with maybe 1/2 the tips blooming per season. Good stocky plant.

Lei Rainbow is an underperformer for me too. Only a few blooms at a time.

Jeannie Moragne is rather tall too.

elucas: many plants are forming inflos late this season, which is a pain because of our shorter season.

Greg: Kimo is the best one for me. Hot weather really brings out the colors. Blooms last a long time, they bloom in big clusters and smell is nice.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Dave,

Nice show for the Commonwealth!!!! LOVE THEM!!!

All of your pics look great, I agree with you about Kimo...she is a beauty!!

I also love Jeannie Moragne.. OK, all of them are gorgeous!! It is hard for those blooms to hang around with the rain that we have been having, the trees love it but the blooms seem to drop off to quickly. I like it when it stays dry when they bloom, but we cant have it all. Looking for more rain tomorrow too...

I have many blooms that looks great, but then the rain comes and they get knocked around alot. : (

Looking good for us here in Virginia!!! We have i think about 6 of us here in Virginia that are lovers for Plumeria!!! Well, they do say "Virginia Is For Lovers... I think We Should Change That To Virginia Is For Plumeria Lovers!!!"

Hope You and your family are doing well!!!

My K is ready.. should be only a few more weeks now!! : )

Take care Dave,

Laura

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Dave,

Nice show for the Commonwealth!!!! LOVE THEM!!!

ALl of your pics look great, I agree with you about Kimo...she is a beauty!!

I also love Jeannie Moragne.. OK, all of them are gorgeous!! It is hard for those blooms to hang around with the rain that we have been having, the trees love it but the blooms seem to frop off to quickly. I like it when it stays dry when they bloom, but we cant have it all. Looking for more rain tomorrow too...

I have many blooms that looks great, but then the rain comes and they get knocked around alot. : (

Looking good for us here in Virginia!!! We have i think about 6 of us here in Virginia that are lovers for Plumeria!!! Well, they do say "Virginia Is For Lovers... I think We Should Change That To Virginia Is For Plumeria Lovers!!!"

Hope You and your family are doing well!!!

My K is ready.. should be only a few more weeks now!! : )

Take care Dave,

Laura

Original Author
    11 years ago

Laura,

We've really not had much rain at all here. So very dry...still. Storms all go around us. We're in a desert. We've probably only had an inch of rain since JUNE! I water nearly every day. Grass is crunchy.

Original Author
    11 years ago

A little more light this morning.

Jeannie Moragne:

Kimo:

Penang Peach:

Original Author
    11 years ago

My Santa Rosa brug is very tall -- up to 14 feet now! ...and blooming it's head off. Very large reddish blossoms.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Dave, beautiful inflos, especially Jeannie with those hot colors.

That brug is huge! Are you keeping it in-ground?

Jen

• pcput
    11 years ago

Hi Dave. Looks like the heat up your way is making some beautiful blooms. Looking good ! I guess we'll have to do the rain dance for you though. Hope you get some soon. Peg

Original Author
    11 years ago

Jen: No, it's too cold here most years for brugs in-ground. I dig a very small root ball, stick them in pots, chop the top off to about 7 feet and store in garage each winter.

Peg: Please do the rain dance for us! There have been lots of scattered storms all around us, and even a few passing over, but nothing more than a tenth of an inch. Ground is starting to get big cracks in it. I'm watering furiously to keep shrubs and small trees (newly planted) alive.

• nativec
    11 years ago

Really beautiful! And your first shots were really good considering you were taking them on the fly!

Thank you for sharing your lovely blooms!

Nicole

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Beautiful. Thanks for posting. I second your feelings about Penang Peach. I think its one of the best cultivars to have. Its frustrating to get only one and two blooms at a time on an inflo. I have found lei rainbow to not put out its best show until maybe 5 months into the season. It also has a nasty habit of dropping forming inflos in the early season.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County