Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I repot now, or wait for Spring?

Posted by tomatotomata 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 14:43

I got my Ca Sunset from Jungle Jack a couple of weeks ago. It's in 5-gallon pot. Next spring, I hope to plant it in the ground, but until then, should I repot it in some gritty mix, or leave it alone?

I'm in coastal S. CA; we are just getting our hottest weather, (but it almost never gets over 80) and will stay warm for a couple of months.

I'm also considering plunging the pot in the ground. Would doing both (repotting and plunging) be overkill? One or the other better?

Or should i just assume Jungle Jack potted it in good mix, and leave well enough alone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I repot now, or wait for Spring?

I'm sure there are others here with more/better info, but I would either just leave it alone, or go ahead and put it in the ground now. It doesn't seem worth it to possibly stress out the plant by messing with the roots, only to take it out of the container permanently in 6-7 months.

I've planted 4 plumeria in the ground (I'm in inland So Cal) in the summer (2 late last summer, 2 this summer), and all of them are doing fine. I didn't mess with the roots at all, though - just dug a hole and followed tdogdad's directions on how he plants in the ground. When I actually planted the plumeria, I cut away the pot, put the plant in the hole, and re-filled the extra space left over. None of the plants have skipped a beat. I think the only thing you would really want to look out for is acclimating the plant to the area where you plan on planting it first.

If you search "planting a plumeria in the ground" in this forum, there are several good posts about it.

o

Hi There!!

I would either Plunge or just leave it. No need to mess with repotting now.. My two Cents.. " )

Congratulations!!

Laura

o

Zone 10? I'd stick it in the ground. I planted 4 in the past week in the front yard.
Tally HO!

o

Whoa - you're brave to put your plumeria in the front yard! I've been thinking about putting one there, but I'm afraid other people would come take a whack at it ... so it's behind-the-fence, backyard-only for me!

o

LOL Daogirl... you really think people will take a Whack at it? Somehow that just sounded funny to me. :)

o

I planted them in the hell strip LOL! By the time they start to bloom they will be good and anchored out there.
Tally HO!

o

Thanks for the feedback. I can't plant it in the ground yet, because I'm working on that yard, and I might have to move it, so I guess I'll plunge it for the time being.

o

I personally like to wait until spring for cold-sensitive plants purchased close to fall or later. If you're in a 10 I suppose you're safe from frost, but still... I like to give them as much time as possible to develop a root system in the ground and become established before cooler weather hits.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here