Guillot's Sunset

Sariah's Curly Pink
Sariah's Curly Pink

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A couple late season bloomers

• Posted by kms2 9/10 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 31, 11 at 20:50

Pat, Your GS looks great. Did you plunge it or is it in the ground?

The Sariah's Curly Pink you gave me has a seedpod.

o

Hi Pat,
I love Sariah's Curly Pink....Just AWESOME!! I am getting some seeds of this variety so in what 4 years I will hopefully be able to enjoy them too!!

Thanks for the pics!

Andrew

o

Hello Pat,

Love the pictures of the Guillots Sunset and the Sariahs Curly Pink...they are loving your heat down in the South!!!

Thanks for sharing your beautiful trees and blooms!!!

Laura in VB

o

Pat, wow!

DO you plunge your pots in the ground or plant in Spring and dig each Fall? Tell us! Or maybe just cover the plants during cold weather?? What do others in your area do? If you dig, do you pot them up or store bareroot?

I had a friend in Houston who used to put his plants in a gazebo over winter. Then he 'wrapped' the gazebo with plastic wrap and stuck a small heater in there.

o

Very nice flowers on your plants Pat! The G.S. looks so healthy with so many leaves and flowers!

o

Thanks and Hafa adai y'all!
The G.S. is in a black plastic ~20gl pot, half buried and surrounded by caladium. It gets full sun till about 2pm. I store many staghorn and other tropicals in a plastic wrapped shade house over winter with a small electric heater and fan running. I keep the fan running all summer even through rain (no rain this summer though). The bloom on the SCP was a surprise as I had cut the top off that branch this spring.

o

Pat, do you mean the original tip was cut off and that's a new tip this summer that's blooming?

I'm starting to confuse your photos with Dewaine's, which is a high compliment. Beautiful shot of SCP!

I haven't seen/heard "hafa adai" since I was on Guam. A long time ago.

Jen

o

Wow Pat, I'd like to know what your electricity bill looks like :-)

o

Pat, do you trim all the roots that grow out of the pots when you dig them?

o

Yeah Jen, I was a "Navy Brat"; born on Guam. Yup, I cut the tip off SCP in the spring. From a stem <2" dia, planting the cutting a stem formed which bloomed and divided 3 ways. Fans don't use much electricity. The heater is on a thermastat. I cut the roots off in the late fall when I drag them into the garage.

o

Pat, does your garage have lights on in winter? How long is your 'dormancy' period? Do you remove most of the leaves prior to 'storage'? What is the coldest temp they must endure in your garage? Also, do you find your plants do better when you 'plant' the pots vs. not?

I find my plants do best when the roots grow out of the pot and into the garden soil for the summer.

Sorry, lots of questions. Just like to compare notes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here