Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potted Plumeria Next Step

Posted by PlumeriaWannaBe ID (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 14:52

I have a plumeria cutting that was potted last June. It has grown very well inside and is becoming very top-heavy. I have put some sticks in and tied up the branches to try to hold some weight. I can't do that forever though. I know that plumerias aren't really meant to be grown indoors, but I heard that people grow them in pots indoors successfully.

I have attached a couple of pictures of it; each branch is about 2 foot long. It seems like the original cutting is just too small to support what will become a large tree/shrub. How does it normally work, even when grown outdoors?

What would be my next steps with this plant? I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potted Plumeria Next Step

You could try using some of the gardening tape and taping the 2 branches to each other for support, that's what a lot of people do.

If it's actually tipping over you can put some heavy rocks in the pot or get a bigger pot.

As far as the long term, some plants just grow lanky, but chances are, being grown indoors your plant is just trying to get as much sunlight as it can. Branching will give some balance typically so sometimes that helps a plant even out too.

I'm sure others can offer you some more advice on what exactly to do next.

o
RE: Potted Plumeria Next Step

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 17:36

The benefit of growing them outdoors, besides all the obvious is wind. wind helps all plants become more strong and ridged as it sways back and forth.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here