Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plumeria help

Posted by LeslieSmallwood central Texas (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 3, 11 at 15:01

I have two potted plumeria's. One is too tall and lanky and needs to be pruned but I've never pruned a plumeria. Can I do it now or should I wait for the spring? We've been experiencing a rather hot summer this year in Austin, Texas.

My other plumeria is a nice size now but will need to be pruned for next year. It has multiple branches but only near the top. So how far down should I prune it so it doesn't end up looking like a dwarfed bushy plumeria tree when I'm finished?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plumeria help

Leslie, I'm also in Austin and I wouldn't suggest pruning until the early spring, around late February as they're about to break dormancy. It's so hot and most of the plants so stressed that it might harm the tree as it tries to put out new growth where it's been pruned.

Jen

o
RE: Plumeria help

• Posted by kms2 9/10 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 21:42

I like to prune in the early Spring. Pruning 1 out of every 3 branches to keep some established branches for blooming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here