Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cessna_175

plumeria for sale in VA

cessna_175
11 years ago

Any suggestions for finding plants in the Williamsburg area?

Laura, did you mention Mcdonald garden center?

Comments (31)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Just take your 175 south until you get to Florida Colors...You will have 3 empty seats to fill up with plants. :)

• cessna_175
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I would love to do that!!! Unfortunately, the cost of fuel would be hard to justify. I hope to make it to FC one of these days:)

• pcput
    11 years ago

Hi cessna, we just don't have any good sources here in VA. McDonalds did have some but they are NOID's and $40. I think they are the same ones that spend the winter in the greenhouse and they bring them back out and try to sell them again. They are tall and no sign of inflos. I haven't been there in a while (since spring). Peg

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Cessna,

McDonalds does carry them. Like Peg mentioned, they have hasd these same trees for a few years. They are good if you want a Noid and mulit tipped tree. They sell for 39.99 lol ok.. 40 bucks.. : ) I did see some inflos a month ago onn one and it was white.

I don't think anyone else sells them here in VA.

K has a great idea... Take your 175 south.. sounds like fun!!!

Take care,

Laura

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

cessna - I hope you don't have your hopes up for a nice big noid. Even at $40 I would have bought one just because I want a large tree. Any color, any price. Well, almost!

Last week I called McD's on Independence and was told they did not have any. So then I remembered that Laura had said she went outside to look at them and called them back. I told the lady that a friend had gone outside and looked at them and she said, yes, they did have them but now are sold.

But now Laura says she saw one blooming white last month. After both Laura and Peg say that they have been there quite some time, it makes me wonder if they aren't still there and both employees that I talked to don't know what they're talking about?

Anyway, then I called McD's on Portsmouth Blvd and they don't have them either. The lady told me they will probably have more next spring.

Also, their website is showing all Williamsburg locations are closed for the season.

Tomorrow I will call around to all the little mom and pop places. Believe it or not I found 2 plumies several years ago, and then 2 more this year at a feed and seed store. They don't have any more, and they were noids. Do you -have- to have named varieties or are you as desperate as I am? LOL

• pcput
    11 years ago

moonie, the one on Independence is close to me. I'll go check it out for you. The ones I saw were not that impressive, like 3 to 4 feet with only a few tips Peg

11 years ago

LOL.. Peg,, i was going to say the same thing!!

If you go, they were right at the entrance on the right hand side. They had other plants inside the container... That made them look different.

I think i saw four when i was there with my mom.

Mona.. You are right, they don't always really "look" for certain things..

I hope Peg finds them for you. Ask them about trees in the back. A nice lady showed me about ten that they had in the back of the Greenhouse near the Bonsai and other C & S. They dont like to put any out in view if they are not in bloom. " no blooms, no room" That is what the manager told me...

Let me know if you go Peg.. if you cant get there, i will go for you all..

Take care,

Laura

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Peg, or Laura - that would be great if you could do that, thanks! I would love to have a blooming noid if it wasn't white. Not that I'm being picky, ya know. :)

cessna - are you coming this way or are you headed for Williamsburg only?

Peg - I knew you lived up there somewhere near Laura but didn't realize how close. We girls need to do lunch!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Cessna and Mona, I know it's not ideal, but getting the exact variety you want through the mail will make you happier in the long run than buying an unknown on the spot at a garden center. Take it from someone who's wasted a lot of money on NOIDs just for immediate satisfaction!

I've spent years waiting on disappointing blooms and ended up getting rid of all but one, and that's only because I needed a plant up front that I don't mind the deer gnawing.

For $40 you can get a great one on strong rootstock from FC, shipping included, maybe even a multi-tip if you ask for one. Just my two cents :)

Jen

11 years ago

I certainly agree with you Jen!!!

You are on the mark!! : )

That amount would find what you are really looking for and make you a very happy camper...

But, i will still look for you Mona!!

We all will have to do lunch sometime!!

Sounds like fun!!

Take care,

Laura

• cessna_175
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all. I was just checking since I was going to be in the area.

Jen, I was thinking an order sounds like a better option.

I should just plan a pilgrimage to FC, but I would need a moving van to get everything I want (the airplane would not have enough room) and would then need a greenhouse at home. I don't think this is going to happen anytime soon :(

Mabye the Mid-Atlantic Plumeria Society should get busy and have a spring sale. Isn't Laura the President?

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Yes, please look if Peg doesn't get there, Laura. Thank you!

Of course for the price of a noid you could get a nice big fat cutting of a named variety. But I have lots of those! What I'm wanting is something blooming. Now. Preferably pink. Or yellow. Or that same white I had years ago. :)

Some noids are beautiful, even without a name. But as Jen said, I don't want to wait years. I want blooms now.

cessna - Yes, I do believe Laura is the President! We need a meeting soon. :)
    Stop by NC and pick me up on your way to FC.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

The "Texas Hill Country Plumeria Society" seconds the motion to to create the "Tidewater Plumeria Society."

I have always resisted the urge to buy a no ID from the local nurseries. Even put one on the cart only to circle around and put it back.

• John Perilloux
    11 years ago

Some of those NOID plumerias can be real beauties. Check this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: NOID plumeria

11 years ago

Hi Cessna,

When are you going to be in the area?

Let me know and we can help you... : )

Going into PHF?

OK... K!!!

I really don't wnt to hurt Dave in Nova.. I mean Big Wave Dave. He really wants the job!!!

LOLOLOLOL... I think you ARE STIRRING THINGS UP lmao!!!
    Mona.. LOLOL YOU TOO! : )

Have Plumies will travel... LOL!!!

The Mid Atlantic Plumeria Society does have a great ring to it.. as well as the "Tidewater Plumeria Society" : )

K,

Are you the President of the "Texas Hill Plumeria Society?"

Imm still chuckling over you all..

jperiloux.. you are right, some of the prettiest bloooms are Niods.. But, if you are willing to spend 40 bucks, you can buy one that you really like and have it within 5 days.. Awesome...

My first was a Noid from Hawaii, and i wouldnt trade it for anything!!! It is the largest one i have and it is about 10 feet tall. A Monster!! : )

You all made my day!!!

Take care,

Laura

• pcput
    11 years ago

moonie, They told you right. I stopped at McDonald's today and they do not have any. I even asked if they had any in the back that they were waiting for blooms. They said they had 4 or 5 and they sold them all. She said they have trouble getting them to bloom. Surprise, surprise. I agree with the advise here as you might even be able to get 2 without shipping for that price. I know you wanted a bigger tree but sometimes it's a better deal to just order and wait. I have a 3'noid with 4 tips for almost 3 years and the longest tip is 14". It hasn't bloomed and no inflos in sight. It would be nice to know what color it is. I've never bought one here in VA. I bring mine back for FL or order them. Hope that helps. Peg

• cessna_175
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Laura,

I will be driving to your area (the deep South) next week for a family vacation. I planted a seed with them that I might look for my Christmas gift, but I think that unless I find something great, I will take the advice and need to place that Christmas order soon before it gets too cold to ship up North.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Laura,
    I was elected to be the Court Jester for life. If Virginia is Deep South I must be in Honduras...Roatan I hope.

My first plants were cuttings from Hawaii too. One Pink and one Yellow. Adding context...if this is a new hobby for you I would encourage you to go with generics or the basic named plants such as Celadine, Slaughter Pink, etc. as they are very forgiving, are good producers, and adapt to containers (with care) well. So you have a good learning platform.

Even considering shipping I think you will find better deals from some of the vendors talked about here.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Peg - thanks for going to the trouble of visiting McD's today. Yes, I would buy a noid but it would have to be blooming at the time.

cessna - just so you know, I called McDonald's in Hampton and they do have a couple of plants. They were 3 branched noids but on both of them one of the branches has been broken and neither one of them has bloomed that she knows of. The lady went out and looked to see if she could see an inflo on either one and she did not. But she did say that there had been both white and pink. They got these back in spring and those are the 2 left.

I also called around to some other places and came up with nothing, as expected. But it never hurts to try. :)

11 years ago

Cessna,

Deep south..does that mean staying only in Williamsburg?

If you decide to take a trip to VB.. You are more than welcome to stop by my house and maybe Santa will be here waiting. Send me an email and we can see where The red nose is at this time.

K... Court Jester? LOL... That sounds like a good place for me..No, Dave could hold that job too!

Deep South could mean lots of places.. LOL. I think of the "low country " when i think of the deep south..

Sweet Tea.. Peach Pie..

Zac Brown..

: )

Thanks Peg for checking for Mona and Cessna..

That was real sweet of you!! But we already know that you are a peach!!

Take care,

Laura

• beachplant
    11 years ago

I love noids and do not hesitate to buy them. Slaughter pink was a noid, so were some gorgeous red and pinks. They are great for filling in voids in the yard, cheap enough that if anything happens to them I don't get freaked out and always a surprise. Most of them were lost in the Ike/freeze period. I was not nearly as upset about them, most bought at 70% off sale, as I was about my amorphophallus', which all died, every single one.

M-good luck in your hunt!
    Tally HO!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

YOu also might check the greenhouse at the Williamsburg Pottery Factory. You never know what you'll find there. LOL! They used to have some large (probably Miami Rose) plumerias. I doubt you'd ever get them in a car though. Maybe a moving van.

And there is a Mid-Atlantic Plumeria Society. I think I'm the only member. LOL!

• pcput
    11 years ago

Dave have you been to the pottery since they reopen in April? It is nothing like it was. Only 3 buildings (close to Route60)that the front on the outside looks like small shops but are really just one big building on the inside. No green houses, in fact you can't even go to the lower side on the other side of the tracks where they were any more. They do have a garden shop on the one end but didn't have all that much in it. The big box stores have more. I use to go there a few times a year but after the first trip after they reopened I won't be going back. Not the same place at all and parking fills up fast so you have to cruise for a spot. Peg

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Peg, thanks. I haven't been to Wllmsbg for a year, so I didn't know. Wonder what they did with all their greenhouse plants. They grew some crazy stuff in there.

My in-laws used to live in Wllmsbg so we got down there a lot. They've moved away, unfortunately. I did enjoy that town. But things are changing. There used to be a Southern States there too. Before Walmart.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Dave, I thought it was you and Lydia?

11 years ago

Hey Dave,

I went there just a few weeks ago and i was stunned by the size of the nursery as well...

The lady who worked in the plants said that they still owned the land and some time in the future, they will add on. We talked about the old days and what they had in the past. I mentioned Plumeria and she said she remembered them. She is trying to talk the owners of adding more space, but it certainly isnt what it used to be.

I remember those Plumeria that you are talking about. They were huge. Hate to think of what they did to them...

They have several Southern Staes still around the area..

If you need anythin, let me know..

Take care..

Cessna.. Looking forward to your visit!!

Take care,

Laura

11 years ago

Hey B and J,

SOoooooooooo nice to meet you and your son!!

Always a pleasure to visit people that enjoy Plumeria!!!

I hope all went well on the way homw and that everything made it home still in the containers!! LOL.. I know J will be fine, she has a great personality about us crazy nuts and she will fit right in with our "eye rollers" Just go and buy some eye drops, cuz you will need them when she starts.... LOL.. At leat she met my DH and they share the same "love" of our trees!! LOL.. I guess it is good that they tolerate us, cux i sure would miss him if i had to choose!!! LMAO even more!!! seriously.. i had fun!! Your son was charming and i hope his sunbun is feeling better. Thank you for the goodies that you gave to me. I even remembered the names and have them planted and labeled. I did that as soon as you all left. They are doing well.

I lost your email and phone number., so when you have a break..please send it again to me so when im in your area i can say hi!!!

Thanks again and i/we enjoyed your visit to VB. Hope you had fun!!!

Take care,

Laura

• cessna_175
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Laura,

It was a real pleasure to meet you and your "eye roller". Everything made it home in great shape; I almost had to leave luggage behind :) Blair was impressed with your garden and even put a plug in for a greenhouse. elucas send me some seeds and I tried to get Judy to start some to hook her; she refused; but Blair said he would like some - there soon may be two crazies in this house.

We had fun in the area but the temp difference was almost 10 degrees when we came home.

Glad to hear about the plants; I was not sure if they would make it. When you visit I have some others that may like it better in you climate than mine.

TC,

Bill

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Aw, how nice that you two got to visit! Bill, did you see your crazy future in Laura's yard? Did it freak your eye roller out? I can just imagine it, lol.

Bill, I may have a few more seeds soon. Will let you know if so.

Jen

• kasha77
    11 years ago

I have a long rooted cutting that bloomed a lovely pink this spring! I will be happy to send to you for a trade of something other than a Plumeria. I need a double hip replacement and became incapacitated and don't think I'll be able to carry them over this winter. I love named brugmansias if you have any to trade for.
    Let me know! Thanks!

• cessna_175
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jen, you have a good idea how my eyeroller felt, but I think my future is looking good if it my yard turns out anything like Laura's. My wife always says it could be something worse and puts up with me and my plants; although, there is probably a breaking point somewhere. I have to admit that since I started reading this forum, the bug is getting worse:)

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor