Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sflgplume

August bloom pics

sflgplume
11 years ago

Hi everyone!

I am back from my "big event" LOL and life has gotten back to normal. Now, this 40-year-old sits back and waits for results from the Florida Bar exam, which will come in September. To those of you who knew and expressed your well-wishes, my sincere thanks to you all--it really meant a lot to me! Cross your fingers, y'all, that this was the one and only time that I will have to go through that torture! I'm too old for bar exams :-)

Laura, to you specifically, your August blooms pics are amazing and they were such a pleasure to view!! You're so talented, and I couldn't be more impressed. Thanks for sharing.

To Stuart, Jen, Nicole, Dave, K, Wendy, and others who have posted bloom photos this summer: I viewed them all and often was too busy studying to post compliments...but I saw and loved all! :-) Great job, you guys!

ANYway, here's a glimpse at what's been going on in my garden:

Kaneohe Sunburst--love this flower!

JL Rim Fire:

Next, Madame Poni, or, as it's otherwise known, "not-Kauka Wilder" LOL (see my other post if you don't know what the hell I'm talking about ;-) )

I had heard so many times that MP was "overrated" and that the curl doesn't form, etc...Well, when the first two flowers opened plain white with yellow center and strong red stripe, I knew it was not KW but rather MP, and I thought to myself, "****, this is MP, and the freaking curl is nowhere to be found" hee hee but THEN, the third flower opened, and to my delight:

I have to say, I am completely charmed by this bloom, and it smells beautiful!

For irun5k in St. Pete, here's JJ Light Rainbow showing a single 2" flower...it's actually prettier than this photo captures, and in future summers, I believe it's going to be quite lovely (great scent btw):

My second round of Waimea blooms is beyond beautiful:

And, here's a shot of Rim Fire, Madame Poni, and--yes, it couldn't be, but it is--Kona Candy! LOL This inflo is from outer space, I swear...four months (and counting) of pumping out gorgeous flowers non-stop:

Hope all of you are enjoying summer and lots of plumeria blooms!

Greg

Comments (22)

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Great looking blooms!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Greg!!

Im so happy to see you again.. I knew you were very busy and i know you will have positive news soon. I will be thinking of you and sending all good wishes and thoughts your way...

Thanks you so much for the nice comments, coming from you makes it even better. I just love all of your talent and of course all of the post.pics and stories thst you share. You are such a wonderful contributor of these forums... you have been missed.. : )

ALl of your pics are just gorgeous!!

Im in heaven looking at them right now... Only if i had one of those "Shirley Temples" in my hand.. with a little something extra.. : ) Life would be great!!!

But, it is already!! I have no complaints...

Thank you for the show of your beauties...

Take care,

Laura

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Hi Greg,
    very nice pictures and plumies. I am curious. Are the colors of Kaneohe sunburst that washed out or did the camera not cuptured the true colors? Here is a picture of my Kaneohe sunburst I took today in Texas.

My colors seem to be more vivid and there is not as much orange in the flower.

tc,
    George

• Minderella
    11 years ago

I love the JJ light rainbow, it is so beautiful!

Mindy

• sflgplume
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, print and Mindy, for the compliments :-)

Laura: your kind words mean so much! Thank you, my friend--you're welcome here for a sit-down on the dock with a Shirley T + more anytime! And we won't be bothered by iguanas either...hee hee yep, that's right... *evil laugh* ;-) buh-bye! LOL

George, thank you...not sure what to say about my "washed-out" KSunburst LOL My camera captures color very accurately, for the most part, and did so with these flowers. Maybe I'm just not doing it right...but isn't it also probable that the difference between your KSB and mine is probably due to a difference in average ambient temperature in our respective backyards? As is often discussed on this forum, the warmer the average temps, the more saturated the color; conversely, the cooler the avg temps, the paler the color. I would think it's hotter in...is it TX?...than along the Intracoastal in South Florida (almost never goes above 93 here).

Plus, where my KSB sits, it doesn't get full sun all day. So, I would guess that this is the reason for the difference...but I'm no expert by any means.

As a "for-instance", though, compare my current Waimea blooms to the blooms that I had several months ago on the same tree, when average ambient temps were lower (on my Flickr feed). The orange center that was present earlier in the season is pretty much non-existent on the current blooms. I chalk that up to the fact that it's warmer now.

Greg

• pcput
    11 years ago

Nice to see you back Greg. Glad to hear the iguanas are on the run. I thought the plants were especially good looking in your pics. Glad your bar exam is over too. I know you'll make out just fine. Love the new pics. You do such a good job with them. Love the "not-Kauka Wilder" too. At least you got something good. Keep up the good work. Peg

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Greg... Your pics are beautiful!!!

You are so right.. every blooom has a different look due to the location, heat, humidity etc.. Lots of factors.

That is why it is so much fun to see all pics from all over.

I would love to have a "sit down" time with you all down south!! We can watch the fellows across the canal deal with those beast!! LOL.. That would be so much fun!!

You are such a good person. Hopefully we all can meet for a "Shirley..." Stuart can mix them up for us!!! : )

He sounds like he would be a good one to share those cherries!!! LOL..

Have a wonderful night!!

Laura

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

lovely blooms :)

• sflgplume
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good morning :)

Houston, thank you! I know that I have admired your blooms in the recent past as well. Hope to see more soon :)

Peg, you're a sweetie and I thank you as always for your kind words (and also for sharing your experience on my other post). I do love Madame Poni, much more than I expected to...too bad that I had already bought it. Oh well!

And my goodness, it's such a relief to be free from the "iguana paranoia" that had gripped me for months...such a peaceful feeling to be about the house knowing that one of my trees isn't being torn apart by those creepy-crawlies :) And for the future, now I know the one and only way to control them. It is, as they say, what it is.
    Anyway, your cutting is showing roots at last! :) So I will try to send it along to you within a few weeks, just wanna see a few more roots first and to have it plump back out a bit...pls email me your address (again...sorry :) ) when you get a chance. I've never packaged a plant before, and I'm scared to death LOL hope I can do it. Also, may I ask a small favor? At your leisure, pls send along to Laura the email address that you have for me. I gave her my spam-fest yahoo address...don't know what I was thinking. Thank you!

Laura--your posts always make me smile and laugh! Someday we'll have our drink on the water...although I have to admit that when you mention cherries, I think "Manhattan," (mmmmmm), not "Shirley Temple"!! LOL Hope that's ok! ;-) And Stuart is welcome too. I live 10 minutes from FLL, by the way...just sayin'... :-)

Have a great day, all.

G

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Beautiful blooms Greg! I am also near Coastal so I think my Kaneohe Sunburst will look just like yours which I'm absolutely drooling over! I find it fascinating that the same plant in different state/city can look so different! Oh just so you know because of your Waimea pictures I bought two HOPING to see some blooms, the one with inflo fell off during transit about 3 months ago. This week I bought another w/ inflo praying that it will NOT get damaged during shipping. But if it did, I found a local place that has another plant... so by the weekend I might ended up with not one, not two but THREE Waimea! LOL... see what you did to me??

I wish you the best of luck w/ your Bar exam!! Thank you for sharing your lovely pictures.

• John Perilloux
    11 years ago

There appears to me as much color variance in Kaneohe Sunburst as there is in Mardi Gras, and apparently all due mostly to heat and humidity differences. I really hadn't been aware of that until reading this forum this year.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Jperilloux,

I find the color variance to hold true in all my blooming Plumerias... depending on the weather one bloom will look different than the other on the same plant! I find it fascinating and that's why I just love plumerias so much. For me even the fragrance changes. Who knows this could mean putting CA Sally back on the table for me. LOL

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Hi,
    having variation in color in various geographical locations, where the climate is significantly different, is undestandable. Check this out. Here is Penang Peach in my garden.

In a sunny location.

This is Penang Peach in a shady location, taken on the same day at the same time.

Here are variations in color at different days.

It is really amazing how many looks one variety takes.

tc,
    George

• nativec
    11 years ago

Hey Greg!

First congrats on taking your bar exam(and living to tell about it) LOL I'll send up all kinds of positive mojo for you! Oh, and watch it with the 40 year old, too old stuff. As a 41 year old I think its never too late to do anything!! :)

Okay on to your flowers...love, love and love them! One I can't believe your Kona Candy is STILL blooming. Amazing!

I swear your Waimea is a distant cousin of my Yolanda..LOL The biggest surprise is the MP. Wow! What a charmer! I heard some not so great things about the reliability of the bloom as well. Nice to know you can't believe everything you hear...LOL I'm hoping the same holds true for JL Golden Pagoda (I tried to resist this one but my resolve wore off).

I read your other post regarding the "situation". So sorry to hear. I think especially when space is at a premium you deserve to get what you pay for!! I am likewise so disappointed that a seller that receives so much business from all of us couldn't do the ethical thing and just rectify the problem.

I had a VERY bad experience with a seller this year and I'm still too ticked to even type about it.

Thank you for sharing your lovely blooms!

Take care,

Nicole

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Wow George!! That's incredible! Besides the shape being the same they could very be totally different flowers! Thanks for posting that. Beautiful.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Yahoo!!! Exam and iguanas done?! Shoot, if I were near you I'd be dropping by with a bottle of fizzy to celebrate! Wonderful news, and, of course, fantastic pics. Congratulations!

That Madame Poni is amazing with the curling. Can't believe how blah the first blooms were, only to be eclipsed by that twirly beauty.

Your Light Rainbow looks like a pale Mardi Gras. How's the scent on Rimfire?

• sflgplume
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the kind compliments, everyone. It's fun and gratifying to share the beauty of these blooms with y'all. :)

In backwards order:
    Jen, you're such a sweetie! Perhaps with some good fortune, we can share that fizzy in person someday (we'll put on some B-Boys: one two one two keep it on...LOL) . In the meantime, it's a lovely thought :) I can't tell you what an unexpected surprise it was to see the 3rd MP flower open. That inflo stops me in my tracks every day. Most underrated and highly recommended! You're so right re Light Rainbow, although it's more petite in flower and plant than MG (which I have, but which has not yet bloomed). It's a little charmer, though, and def worth the $20! Rim Fire's scent has grown on me: not the sweetest, but spicy and unique, and it wafts on the air quite strongly.

Nicole, I saw your Yolanda (lovely btw!) and agree. Thanks for your kind words :)

George, interesting and gorgeous shots of PP in its many guises. Thanks for sharing.

NC, you're so kind and I appreciate your enthusiasm and compliments. NOTHING gives me greater glee than to hear that I've been the Enabler for another!! LOL just ask Nicole :) Glad that you were inspired by my Waimea and KSB! Fabulous flowers, both.

Have a great day, all.

Greg

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I'm late to this thread...but fantastic job. Its really quite interesting how the M.P. took three flowers to show its characteristic curl.

Also thanks for the vector on Wiamea being a thirsty one. I went and looked at mine (I rooted it last September) in more detail and found it was a bit wrinkled. I'm going to increase its watering and observe if it plumps up. Interesting enough I did not see it at either of the PSA sales this year.

two more things: 40 is the new 30 and best of luck with the Bar (not that we need more attorneys).

• sflgplume
    Original Author
    11 years ago

K: thank you, sir, for all your kind words and wishes, and on the "more attorneys" comment: touche :) LOL I can't argue...but when one is starting over from scratch in one's mid-30s, it's a good education to have. I'll do my best to use it for good and not for evil.

I know a lovely older lady from Houston who summered in Colorado in the mountain town where I used to work in the summers. She loved to play golf and she used to say to me in a wonderful Southern drawl, "Greg, do you know how much time it takes to play a round of golf?" I'd say, "How long would that be, Shirley?" and she'd answer, "All the time you GOT!" LOL Well, Waimea takes all the water I got. I swear. It seems impossible to even flush the pot.

As the MP inflo develops, each flower has been different from the others. Very cool to watch.

G

• nativec
    11 years ago

Greg,

If you have time could you post more photos of your MP? Because...well....I ...um bought one. So much for that no more rule. LOL

And so I guess you can take credit for enabling, once again. You should start charging a fee:)

Thanks,

Nicole

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Funny thing.... I never really liked MP until I saw Greg's. LOL

Greg - Your Kaneohe Sunburst is beautiful. I like the colors of George's, they are so very bright and vivid, but yours has beautiful muted pastel colors. And love the reflex of the petals. Just gorgeous!

• irun5k
    11 years ago

Hi Greg,

I'm late to the game on this one, but great pics, and thanks for the pic of the light rainbow- I concur, it should make a nice plant! Nice soft colors...

Sponsored