Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuy415

my first plumeria (newbie question)

chuy415
14 years ago

i just received a cutting on ebay, can anyone help me with some starter ideas please. its about a 15" white with yellow, little bit of growth. i live in rsm, ca.

thanks

Comments (4)

• tdogdad
    14 years ago

Go to the Flowerdale on Bristol where it goes under the 55 and the 73 onramp. They have the best cactus mix. Pick up a bag of pumice or perlite (pumice best). Pick up a envelop of rooting compound and a small bottle of B-1. Get a one gallon black nursery pot (home depot sells or people at Flowerdale might give you one. ask.) Now with your cutting hardened up for at least five days, soak the end 3" in B-1 and water for 1-2 days. Mix your cactus mix and pumice about 50-50 and put about 2 inches in the bottom of the one gallon pot. Remove the cutting and dip the end 3 inches into the rooting compound and shake off any excess. Position the stem on the soil mix in the center and fill the soil mix up in the pot lightly packing. Pour the B-1 water mix around the top of the soil mix and let it soak in. Place the pot on a sunny location on concrete or rocks and do not water. Cut off any leaves that are on the plant now as the plant needs roots to support leaves. Mist the top of the plant in the mornings daily and do not water until leaves grow about 5-6" long. Watering too early will cause the stem to rot. It has a water supply in the stem to get it rooted. Rooting can take several months so be patient. It may go dormant and drop any leaves in a few months but in March it will come back. As long as the stem is hard it is ok. If it grows leaves, begin watering it once a week until it drops its leaves then stop watering until spring. You have time to get it rooted where you live but protect it from frost or freezing weather in Dec/Jan (Put under an overhang or bring inside.) Good luck. Bill

• chuy415
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks Bill... will do my very best to hurry and make a trip there and follow the instructions you gave me.. thanks so much for the info.

• alphajlv
    14 years ago

I have had mine since last year.. over wintered in the green house but still no blooms :(
    am I doing something wrong ??
    I'm near Dallas, TX

anyone got any ideas ?

• kevphol
    14 years ago

Hi alphajlv,

I am in Frisco. If yours was a cutting that you rooted last year it may not bloom for another year. If it is alive, growing, has green leaves and you follow advice like Bill's above you are probably not doing anything wrong. Plumies just take patience.

Kevin

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH