Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hawaiianbuilt

B. Guillot & J. Tarvin Plumeria Tour PIX !!! 08-09-09

hawaiianbuilt
14 years ago

HEY GARDEN WEB FOLKS !!!

Been away for most of the year taking care of business.

But what a better way to be back than to share some pictures taken Sunday, August 9, 2009 at the Plumeria private collection tour in Huntington Beach, So Cal hosted by none other than BUD GUILLOT and JOHN TARVIN !!!

I've had the opportunity to take some pictures at both of their private collections in their beautiful homes !!!

Here are just some of the many pictures taken that afternoon !!!

Beginning with Bud Guillot's home ...

Giant Plumies guarded his homefront !!!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/HAWAIIANBUILT/2009/PLUMERIA/001%20BUD%20JON%20PLUMERIA%20TOUR%2008%2009/DSCN5244.jpg[/IMG]

Amazing Canopies !!!

Then it was time to head out back !!!

By way of the amazing specimens in the Greenhouse !!!

Then greeted by this wonderful sign ...

And amazing display !!!

Purely Heaven !!!

Aerial view from the balcony !!!

Just some of the many Plumeria in bloom !!!

Which was my favorite there ???

Thornton's Lemon Drop of course !!!

Then it was time to head to John Tarvin's home !!!

Greeted by this beautiful display !!!

Closeup on this cutting rooting technique !!!

And seedlings !!!

Walkway to heaven !!!

The rest is history !!!

MANY MANY THANKS to JOHN TARVIN for a cutting of my favorite Plumeria that day SPOTTED at BUD GUILLOT'S ...

LEMON DROP !!!

Which is now PROUDLY awaiting its graft to take hold onto its seedling base !!!

(Under the direction of my buddy Juan, this will be a success !!!)

Again MANY MANY THANKS to BUD GUILLOT and JOHN TARVIN for an AMAZING PLUMERIA TOUR there in HUNTINGTON BEACH, SO CAL !!!

Pictured below ...

DAVE, JUAN, BUD, and MYSELF !!!

(I'll have to get that shot of JOHN in next time !!!)

SEE YA SOON !!!

Rodney

Comments (12)

• tdogdad
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

great pictures Rodney. Bud and John are two of my favorite friends in the plumie world. Bud had a big Wildfire that rivaled his T.Lemon but it had to be cut way back after the 07 big freeze. He has so many big flowers. I have several seedlings from John that are very nice. Thanks for the tour. Bill

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    14 years ago

thanks for posting the beautiful shots! Now can you ID all those??? LOL!

dave

• iowajojo
    14 years ago

O....M....Gosh!!!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    14 years ago

The 'baggie' rooting method looks very practical. You can just let them lie, or you throw several in a larger pot, I guess. Is the baggie closed fairly air-tight? Looks like large rubber bands holding it closed. How moist is the soil and what is its makeup?

You can't post all these photos and get by without some questions.

Thanks!

• malibu_rose
    14 years ago

Wow and wow again! That's all I can say! Thanks for posting these wonderful pictures. I had to show my hubby these and we are blown away! I can only dream of having such a large plumeria tree in front of my house!

• bri_fl
    14 years ago

Geez, that looks like the perfect day. Congrats on your new addition, Lemon Drop.I can't even believe the size of the trunks on those 2 trees in the front of the house. It really shows you that plumies are trees.

• hawaiianbuilt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

tdogdad:

Hey Bill !!! Long time no see buddy, hope you and your collection are doing great !!! I should pay you a visit sometime soon, I miss your Plumeria Paradise as well !!!
    Bud is an awesome guy, very knowledgeable and hospitable. John too is no different !!!

dave in nova:

I wish I could ID all of those Plumeria, there were so many it was hard to keep track !!!
    The 'baggie' method that John had on display was really great, I believe it was moistened peat moss inside that breathable bag. I wish I could tell you specifics. I'm sorry, I'll ask next time I see him !!!

iowajo:

"O...M...Gosh!!!" That's and UNDERSTATEMENT !!!

malibu rose:

The large trees were impressive ... I've not personally seen any that huge away from Hawaii !!!

bri fl:

It was an awesome day out there. Thornton's Lemon Drop is just an amazing creamy yellow vivid flower !!! Those trees out front were amazing, I hope someday mine get to be that big as well !!!

Rodney

• tdogdad
    14 years ago

Bud's tree is over 55 years old (the original Guillot's sunset) and I think the Saigon Moon is over 35 years old. It is just a matter of time.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

I believe I just got to see a climbs of what heaven looks like!

THANK YOU so much for sharing all of this here

AMAZING

Lucy

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Those are some of the most beautiful plumeria trees I've seen. The foliage is so thick and lush and of course the gorgeous blooms. Thanks for sharing your photos.

• claudiomango
    14 years ago

Thanks for the grafting pics. I am used to side veneer grafting from Mangos and Avocados, and have never tried Plumerias. You inspired me. This actually seems easier than side veneer. all that's needed is the correct angle for rootstock and scion.

I am growing my Plumerias from seed and from cuttings.

• tdogdad
    14 years ago

Rodney, brudda- you always welcome my garden- just call or e-mail. About ten more days and most will be going off. Bill

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County