Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irun5k_gw

Thumbelina and Divine

irun5k
10 years ago

Hi all, just a couple of pics of two first time bloomers for me.

I thought I was going to be underwhelmed by Thumbelina (for some reason I thought it looked boring in the photos I had seen) but now I might prefer it to Divine. It makes a nice big inflo pushed way out from the plant and the flowers aren't boring at all.

Of course, Divine is plenty nice also, and maybe mine just needs to mature to put out more prolific inflos.

Comments (11)

• plumygirl
    10 years ago

Terrific photos!!! They are beautiful! Great job catching all the shading.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

I just love your Thumbelina! Unlike you, my first reaction to photos of it was a big "WOW", so purchased one and waited patiently. Then I saw someone had one with two inflos so I bought it. Guess what... sometimes they just don't like being uprooted and shipped across country! She eventually lost one of the inflos and the other one is doing nothing except maybe slowly shriveling up. Such a disappointment!

And your Divine is gorgeous! Nice coloring. I keep waiting for mine to do something other than to grow at a snails pace. :)

• irun5k
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Moonie, sorry to hear that you lost both inflos... but maybe there is hope for next year. I bought this one last year as a two tip plant and both tips bloomed this year. Or tried to... a tropical storm turned one tip into a cutting but even it tried to bloom.

But yes, I am learning that there is a lot more to a desirable plant than just how a single bloom looks. For a true specimen tree, everything from foliage to structure to inflo size and length makes a difference :) I am thinking Thumbalina might make a nice tree some day- would love to see what a several year old one looks like.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Great pics!! My thumbalina was a little disappointing. Although it had 3 inflos the amount of blooms was very small. divine was the same way however I just noticed that my divine is pushing a new inflo on one of the new tips!
    Yours look great!

Mike

• rox146
    10 years ago

I have 2 thumbalinas and 1 divine, new from this years Lowes frenzy. When they bloomed , at first they looked VERY similar. Then they changed a bit. For all the hype, I wished for more scent. Maybe I live in the wrong area. roxanne

• pcput
    10 years ago

They look great Brian! I bought them too last year but didn't get any blooms yet. There's always next year.
    Peg

• irun5k
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all- I think you can't really see the true nature of the plant until it matures a bit. I believe this is especially true on first year cuttings.

As far as scent, Singapore Obtusa is the only Plumeria that I've seen that can actually fill the surrounding air with scent (and this includes my time living in Hawaii.) Sometimes the folks that cleaned up at the facility I worked at would place Obtusa infos in the restroom, which I always thought was a thoughtful touch.

IMHO if you really want to fill the surrounding air you need a jasmine, gardenia, etc. But if you're all about the flowers we all know there is only once choice!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Beautiful as always, Brian!!!

Take Care,

Laura

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Simply gorgeous!
    Tally HO!

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

Beautiful! and excellent photos of them. Nice job! Divine is such a reliable bloomer and it just keeps on blooming over and over from the same inflo. Thumbelina is a good bloomer too, but for me,it has a shorter bloom time than Divine.

• Minderella
    10 years ago

I bought both of them last year. They are blooming like crazy this year. They are small but this is just my second year growing plumerias. Mine smell so good. Give them a chance.