Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mksmth_zone_6b

Best bloom of 2013

Mine was my NOID white. Yep just a plain jane NOID. None of my named plants even came close this year. A few are starting inflos but with fall approaching and our unusual cooler weather Im not very optimistic.

All it ever asks for is water and a bit of food. I think I will keep it :)
This is just one inflo, it has another the same size. Actually this is 2 inflos that formed on the same tip.

What was yours?
mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 17:36

Comments (39)

• derft1
    10 years ago

My favorite this year was Midnight Ruby.

Fred

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

How's the scent of your white NOID, Mike? :)

My best blooms have been from 'Gold Coast Peach' (pic taken just now) but ya never know...we could get more awesome inflos before winter shuts us down!

-Robert

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice ones!!

Pretty good Robert. classic scent and I can smell as I walk by.

Mike

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

I have been very happy with so many this year but I really love this one, it is a seedling that bloomed after it was only 3 or 4 years (most of mine take so much longer). I love the look of it and the flowers are almost 4 inches across. I look at this one first each time I visit my yard. Barb

• rox146
    10 years ago

Wonderful Barb...what is the scent? roxanne

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

Roxanne, It only has a very light scent. But it is only it's first year, will have to see what happens next year. I just love how the flower looks so delicate. Barb

• rox146
    10 years ago

there is a lot to be said for the yellows and whites for fragrance. I picked up a Ken's White JJ's at the Lowes frenzy and oh my gosh the smell. Very common looking white but the scent actually changes a bit from bloom to bloom. Very happy I grabbed it. roxanne

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Mike, is that "patient zero?" It is a great inflo.

I almost went with my usual Penang Peach but the jury is still out at my house.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yep that's is the one K. PP is probably a good candidate.
    I'm 6 feet tlll and the inflo is right at my nose. next year it may be too tall. I told Kenny I'm going to the tallest plumeria in Oklahoma LoL.

Mike

• mimalf
    10 years ago

What's the scent of Midnight Ruby like, Fred? Thanks.

Mima

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    10 years ago

Mardi Gras just opened Saturday 08.17.13. Cool mornings last weekend 67ð and only upto 89ð.

Lonnie

• georgecc
    10 years ago

I had a tough time picking, it's been a good year and I had some unusual and interesting flowers open. But this common favorite California Sunset which is constantly changing colors - and I didn't think could get anymore beautiful - did!

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

They are all very pretty. Can I add another one. I got this as a cutting this year a Julie Moragne. And as it was trying to grow I got flowers before leaves so took a picture and then cut off the flowers. I am now getting leaves which is what I need but took this picture before I cut it. And it smelled very nice also. I got it off ebay from Matt. Barb

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Robert, I love the Gold Coast Peach, too, almost picked that! Mike - you're right, it's a tree you always want to walk by and take a whiff of that great scent.

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Quick question - does anyone know if the name is Gold Coast Peach or Gold Coast Peachy - I see both all the time, so I'm confused on this!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone!!!

George... I just checked Diana's Compilation and she has it listed as

" Gold Coast Peachy". Aka Seldom Seen # 323

Hope this helps...

Laura

10 years ago

Great thread Mike!!!

Here is my best bloom of 2013...

JL Hawaiian Fire

{{gwi:30017}}

Have a great night!!!

Laura

• georgecc
    10 years ago

WOW Laura. That's a beauty! Incredible.

Thanks for the info on the Gold Coast Peachy!

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Gorgeous bloom, Laura! You didn't mention any scent. :)

-Robert

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

Laura, What a beautiful flower. It always surprises me that there is so many different ones, size, smell, and those colors. WOW!!! Barb

10 years ago

Thanks Simi!!!

All of the blooms here in this thread are beautiful... Love yours too!!! I hope that helped with the question on Gold Coast Peachy!!!

Mike... I think this thread will be a one that will be used and continue to please all of us!!! Love this thread...

HI Robert... ;-). Fragrance? Lol.. You know I am terrible at describing them... It has a floral fragrance to me. The first blooms were less fragrant and this particular one had a very pleasant floral fragrance... I have two more buds getting ready to open. I'll check again for you..

Barb..I agree.. So many blooms and varieties... No wonder we love them all!!! The colors are quite beautiful. I was so thrilled!!!

Thanks...

Laura

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    10 years ago

Boy that Midnight Ruby is beautiful! I'd love to have that one -- what a temptation. :)

• pcput
    10 years ago

Everyone's "Best Blooms" are just beatifullllllll! I just wish I could join in. I've only had 1 this year so I guess it is the best :) Maybe if the 2 new inflos make it I'll have at least something to pick from. "Congrats" to everyone.
    Peg

• rox146
    10 years ago

I must say it was Wildfire, that is a quarter being held next to it.....and the scent...oh my! roxanne

• John Perilloux
    10 years ago

My Toba's Fire (aka Embers) looked pretty good and produced lots of blooms, but my favorite was Mardi Gras.

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Jperilloux, would you mind posting a pic of your Toba's Fire, too? Would love to see that!

The Mardi Gras is gorgeous!

• John Perilloux
    10 years ago

Thank you, SimiDude. Here's the Toba's Fire (aka Embers).

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Wow! Thank you so much, that's beautiful!

• John Perilloux
    10 years ago

Thank you. This was only a 1-year-old plant.

• georgecc
    10 years ago

No! You're kidding? That's amazing. I was looking for one of these but had no luck. Your Toba's Fire and your Mardi Gras are both amazing.

• John Perilloux
    10 years ago

Did you check The Exotic Plumeria in Florida? They call it "Embers". It was $50 for a rooted tree when I bought mine. I notice it's now $70 for an unrooted cutting, 1 or 2 tips.

• georgecc
    10 years ago

I did check them. But I was hoping to find it locally and rooted, though. There's always next year!

• texasplum
    10 years ago

Only had one of mine put off inflos this year. Made my summer though! Noid but thinking it could be divine? Parents got it for me and all they knew about it was that it was a dwarf plumeria...

• georgecc
    10 years ago

I rushed to my tree to pic a Divine flower to compare. Yes, it's a Divine!

• georgecc
    10 years ago

And it's beautiful, too, Texasplum.

• texasplum
    10 years ago

Awesome! I can finally give her a name! Lol thanks simidude.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Very nice flowers!

mike

• isobea
    10 years ago

Hi guys,
    this year's favorite is JJ's Mona Lisa. The flowers are a little over 3 inches wide and the fragrance, especially in the first two days, is amazing (it varies throughout the day, though). Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to capture the intensity of the colors. The pink is stronger and the center is a strong golden yellow. Everything is late here this summer. Yesterday we made it to 82 degrees for the first time. Today, though, it's 90 degrees with very high humidity thanks to the monsoonal moisture coming up from Mexico.
    Have a great Labor Day weekend everyone and keep the pictures coming.
    Iso

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    10 years ago

While I haven't had as many flowers this year as I would like, Divine has ended up being a tiny showstopper in this crazy heat!