Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

Twin buds??

No-Clue
11 years ago

I have never seen something so strange but I just noticed on two of my Star of Siam's buds have twins! Like two buds growing out of the same opening? But yet they don't look like the other buds with the tips. I packed up my stuff so I can't snap a photo until next week. I am wondering if I should break them off or if that's normal then I will leave them alone.

Thanks!

Comments (16)

• Tropic_7
    11 years ago

Hi No-Clue,

It will not hurt your plant by leaving them on as they are.
    Could be that they're going through an adjustment period, are they newly planted this year?

I would just leave them alone..... If you get the chance please photograph them as soon as you can to share and repost using this thread.
    Stuart

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Stu, they grew more today so I can tell they are definitely not buds ready to bloom. If anything they look like pea pods to me. I will post pics after my move. The plant is in 5 gal pot...so maybe 3 yrs old? It's about 4 ft tall and has been blooming since June.

I hope this does mean my Star of Siam I a mutant! Lol.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Hi Lynn!

Are they seed pods by chance?

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mona, I looked up the pictures online and sure enough they look identical! What should I do? There are two seed pods on my Star of Siam plant.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Seed pods...Do nothing. You will have seeds in June. Perfect time for planting.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Well, apparently Star of Siam is a variety that likes producing seed pods! You don't have to do anything but leave them. I'm not sure how long but it takes months and months for the seed to ripen. Your plants will go dormant this winter and will not harm the seed pods.

Someone knowledgeable will come along soon. Congrats! :)

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What do you mean congrats? I can't even root a cutting there is no way I can grow seeds! I will most likely give them away. Lol.

• Minderella
    11 years ago

I could use a couple of seeds next year.

Mindy

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You got it Mindy! I will be happy to send you some. :)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Hmmm... I'm thinking seeds must be your forte, Lynn! :)

Hi Mindy! Haven't seem much of you lately. How are your plants doing? I was at Lowes not long ago and saw your little worm buddies. Those are so cute!

• Minderella
    11 years ago

I am around and my plants are all doing wonderful, all 6 of them. I will post pics later.

mindy

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

Woo hoo seedpods. you can do seeds Lynn its not hard If I can do it so can you!!! I would like a couple of seeds if you have them to spare when it opens.

Jackie

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I might keep one to practice but I am happy to send to anyone who wants them. I already have the plant so I don't think I need more of the same. Besides doesn't it take YEARS to grow from seeds? I am all about instant gratification! :)

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

Lynn they are usually different from the parent. Seedlings rarely look like the parent. Ya never know what youll get. sometimes prettier than who they came from. I love seedlings, I dont have patience but will be happy when I see what they become :)

Jackie

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh really Jackie? I didn't know that... I just assumed it would turn out identical to the mother plant. Hmmm...interesting. Thanks for sharing that! I am learning something new everyday. :)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

COngratulations NC!!! SOme wait year for a seed pod to form!!

You are lucky!!!

: )

Laura