Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A winged visitor on my Puu Kahea

Posted by mjhuntingtonbeach CA 10b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 17:35

I was watering in the yard on Sunday and a very unexpected visitor landed on a bud of my Puu Kahea. He was nice enough to wait for me while I ran in to get a camera, and posed for close-ups. A very unusual color for this flavor of beast, and he flew away, circled the yard and came back to the exact same flower to pose some more. Enjoy :)

Mike

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A winged visitor on my Puu Kahea

Love it!! What great photos and one very patient dragonfly!

Nicole

o

Mike, I think it thinks it's a mate. Same color as the bud and smells good too. Peg

o

Great detailed pictures!!!
Lonnie

o

Excellent photos. Some people call 'em dragonflies, others call 'em darning needles, down here we call 'em mosquito hawks. I don't know if they eat mosquitoes or not, but I know they're the main food of those purple martins and Mississippi Kites that migrate up here from South America in February.

o

The simple detail is quite amazing.. I love your pics!!!

Beautiful quality photos..

Fabulous !!!

Love them!!!

Laura

o

That looks like a friend of the one that visited me a few weeks ago.

Though mine seemed more interested in the electrical conduit than my plumeria...

Cheers!

VP

o

What beautiful colors!!

OK, I am going to add to the family!!! : )

Here is another "sister" that wants to be seen too!

She stayed around like she wanted to pose...

Take care,

Laura

Photobucket

o

She even smiled for the camera!

VP

o

Mobiouz, I see you are in California and your friend had similar coloring to the one that visited me, undoubtedly the same species. But I think yours needs to go on a diet ;)... kind of chunky. I was very surprised about the color - I have never seen an orange dragonfly before.

Laura, your friend is more of what I associate with dragonflies, that darker green coloring. The variety of nature is amazing sometimes :)

o

MJ,

Yep. I was going to say it was the same one as yours, but I did notice mine was a lot chunkier too. I'm in Garden Grove, so its only a short bit away from Huntington Beach. :)

I hardly see red/orange ones around, so thats why I snapped the picture too. To be honest, any dragonfly in general is kind of rare lately.

VP

o

Those are such cool pictures, thank you for posting those! the orange ones are really pretty. Laura I just love the little face on yours and the colors are very pretty too.

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 17:31

I wish my Puu cutting didnt rot. I cant join in on the fun. LOL

cool pics!!!

Mike

o

Mike, incredible photos! The detail you captured on the wings is amazing--such a work of natural design. One of my favorite insects, in my favorite color, on my favorite flower!

The most common ones around here are a cobalt or bright blue, but we get 'em all. Always nice to watch them light onto a stick or branch.

o

• Posted by k2fl okc 7 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 19:30

I have one to share too! Here's one on my Mardi Gras bloom

06/23/2012, Dragonfly on my Mardi Gras

Dragonfly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here