Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropic_7

Turns Lavender as it ages, noid plumeria from Puna

Tropic_7
11 years ago

I found this one growing in a vacant lot in Hawaiian Paradise Park in Puna just South of Hilo.

I brought back two cuttings and they are now trees!

I've not been able to find the name of this one, but isn't it a beauty?

I can't find it anywhere, what are your thoughts?

Mahalos, Stuart

Comments (18)

• pcput
    11 years ago

Oh Stuart this one is gorgeous !!! What does it smell like? Like it really matters when it is so pretty. I love ones that change color and purple is a favorite. I under stand in Hawaii they cross pollinate all the time so there are always new colors popping up. This was a great find. Congrats, Peg

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Very pretty.
    Congrats!
    Lonnie

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Not a clue but it is beautiful!
    Tally HO!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

There is a grower from Puna who posted on a thread within the last month or two. Maybe they could help you ID it.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

It is a beauty Stuart!!

Congratulations!!!

Looks like you have to name this one... How long do you have to wait to register with the PSA? Is it three blooming cycles? I love it!!! : )

Laura

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Laura,

I'd have to call it "Shirley Temple"

Do you remember as kidds we'd get a 7-UP with a marachino cherry in it called a Shirley Temple" That's what it reminds me of!

There are few things tastier for a kid than a non-alcoholic cocktail like the Shirley Temple, a refreshing concoction of grenadine and lemon-lime soda garnished with a maraschino cherry.

What does the drink have to do with the child star, though? The Royal Hawaiian Resort in Waikiki, one of Temple's favorite haunts at the height of her fame, claimed to have invented the drink and named it in honor of the hotel's frequent customer during the 1930s. Like most any famous foodstuff, the Royal Hawaiian's claim of creating the drink is debated, though; Hollywood's legendary Brown Derby restaurant maintained that it invented the drink during the same time period.

• Tony10
    11 years ago

Beautiful flower and great name! Does anyone remember being told that the red color of those cherries stays in your system for like a decade??? Maybe it was an old wives tale...

• DelWH
    11 years ago

That was probably due to the food coloring used to turn them red. Some of the dyes that were used back then are now banned, supposedly had an effect on ADHD.

• Tony10
    11 years ago

Thanks DelWH! That explains a lot...I must have had my share of them. LOL!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Looks a bit like Wave Rage, but it could be anything, maybe a unique seedling.

• nativec
    11 years ago

Whatever it is, it's gorgeous! I like the proposed name:)

Congrats!

Nicole

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

Thats such a lovely variety. I love the look of the ruffled petals.
    -Dar

• phxlynne
    11 years ago

I have one that is similar, though your color is deeper. It's a "Playful" from C-Stars and also turns lavender as it ages.

• DelWH
    11 years ago

I also have a C-Stars Playful, here's mine. This one tends to fade as it gets older.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

I have one called 'Red Samoan' that has the hot pink ruffly petals. Sort of similar, but not quite as grainy perhaps.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Dave,

I love your Red Samoan.. Just stunning!!

Stuart..

I loved those "Shirley Temples" LOL... my kids grew up on those too! They always thought they were special when we went out to dinner and had a "pretty" drink to look at! That is one of those memories that will be with them for always.. sigh.. Good Stuff!

I love the name and i think if fits!!!

Beautiful! Just lovely!!!

Thanks to all of the other beautiful pics as well..

Don't you all just love these Trees? Im ready for Vacation!! LOL..

Maybe a Shirley Temple tonight.. : )

Take care STuart. Great "eye candy" LOL..

Laura

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, Help here and I know this would be near to impossible to do, but....
    If one were to go and sign up a plumeria to be registered how would this happen?
    Does it involve money and how much?
    Would I need to send cuttings and can it take years?
    The reason I ask is J. L. Farms named the Waimea, but it's not registered.
    I've got lots to learn and I'm wide open for knowledge!

Dave, mine could very well be a "Red Samoan" just under different growing conditions? or something more common?

I've can produce cuttings as I've got loads of this one!
    Two trees to be exact.

Point me in the right direction ( or tell me to sit down it's not going to happen ) I take constructive advice very well.
    Mahalo and Thank you, Stuart

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Stuart, I think registration is very doable for you. Go to the PSA site and there is a link (I'll put it below) with documents outlining the specific requirements.

As you already have two established plants of your mystery plumeria, and (I'm sure) lots of photo documentation of their blooms, you're ahead of the game. Go for it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Plumeria registration