Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobtabler

White NOID shows new color...

bobthewizard
9 years ago

One of my Plumeria is a white NOID with yellow centers... I've seen a hint of pink on the underneath of the blooms before the open, until this one opened the other day. Nice surprise!

Comments (8)

• chuy415
    9 years ago

pretty!!! thanks for sharing.

Chuy

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

It may be a 'color break' caused by virus and not the 'true' color of the variety.

There are many opinions out there of the value of a virus. I personally don't like the way they affect flowers, but that's just my opinion.

• bobthewizard
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I'm curious... Would a "virus" of this type cause damage to the plant that I should be concerned about? Will it cause damage to the plant overall?

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

The jury is out on that, I think.

Often the virus will co-exist with the plant and the plant is not really affected much.

I just prefer the pure blooms. I noticed that someone mentioned that Luc from Florida Colors used to elminate any plumeria he saw that had a virus.

Others like to 'spread it around', because they like the flower splashes.

If I was a grower, I'd be very careful cleaning my pruning instruments so as not to spread it around.

• Andrew Scott
    9 years ago

Yes Dave. Luc made his feelings known in regards to how viruses can farce plumeria. I myself have never had to worry about viruses so this isn't an issue for me.

I also know that extreme heat can cause differences in color. I noticed that my 'Pyscho' developed more pink to the flower. I had never seen any pink on the flower before this. I really wished I had taken a picture of it.

Bob, I am curious what your temps have been. Thanks for sharing a pic of your flower!

Andrew

• bobthewizard
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Temps have been at or avove 100 lately... And higher that normal humidity also... At least for Southern California...

with the tree only bring 5 years old or so, I was hoping that perhaps This was showing me what's possibly going to be what the flowers end up looking like in the future.

I also have 45 plus seedlings? And several cuttings started with a few more young ones around... I'd kinda like to see what the seedlings are going to become, without them becoming infected.... It's tough enough just keeping up with spider mites and sunburn and everything else and then have to think about this as well.. Heheh

• disneyhorse
    9 years ago

Andrew... My Gardena (aka might be psycho although it's not from bills trees) had a flush of pinker-than-normal blooms this year too. The size can vary, too, with the biggest trees having the biggest blooms. Usually they are pretty white but here is the pink really bleeding from the reddish pink stripe on the reverse:

• disneyhorse
    9 years ago

This is the "regular" inflo color: