Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oorah

garden mix

oorah
15 years ago

all the garden mixes I have made and put in pots eventually compact that when you water the water just goes out of the rim of the mix....would appreciate some good receipts for growing plants in containers where the mix wont become so dense that you eventually have to repot...I prefer to make my own mix and not but store mixes....

thanks

Comments (51)

• plumcr8zy
    15 years ago

Hi Jack,
    Now I'm confused. I bet you already know what I'm gonna ask. Reading many of the posts on this forum, perlite and cactus mix seems to be the #1 mix for plumerias. Now I see you use another combination of potting mediums. Can this mix be used to root cuttings or is this mix for established plants? What is the composition of Kellogg's Big R and Turf N Tee?
    Thanks for educating a novice. I'm always open to suggestions that may help me be more successful in growing plumerias.
    Thanks again,
    Rick

• oorah
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kimisdad.....thanks for your input....in addition to the above questions.....with your combination how does the mix relate to density.....what I'm looking for is no compact.....

thanks

andy

• kimisdad
    15 years ago

Rick,

This is not a scolding or meant to be condescending. You will always be a newbie an amateur and way behind the curve IF you don't do some obvious research on your own. And this goes for everyone and anyone who frequents any forum. And don't take this personally!!!! I gave all readers of my reply a simple way to do some research on your own. If it is to difficult to take the name of the products and goggle for the answers you never will start to walk but continue to crawl. How does one think I learned about these products? It is not taught in the school of soiless mixes. I spelled out for the amateur the reasons why we do what we do re: this mix; a simple Google for compaction, cation and gas exchange and on and on is easily available on the internet. Now settle down don't be upset with me. I am trying to give an explanation that every one is responsible for there own education. Picture this as a college course; would this be the appropriate way to handle this by asking the instructor for the answer? No, in so many words he would give this same BS I am. My point!! I strive to make everyone realize you not me is responsible for your own education on growing plumeria. Life has become way to easy for many. I will not belabor the point and yes I expected some to be wanting me to spend hours answering the questions that are so simple my teen age and college age grandchildren could answer by some simple research. I will be here for the tough stuff and answer what is unclear in your research. Fall is just around the corner and that means back to school LOL. This is meant to be taken for the improvement of the plumeria community not personally. Can you tell I have had a bad day?? LOL.

Jack

• trojanfan53
    15 years ago

Amen Jack , well said.

• oorah
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kimisdad....wasnt expecting that reply but your right.........the reason I asked about the mix was because of so many different google answers Ive received concerning a good mix...and trying them all was getting expensive....the cactus and perlite mix wasnt doing a good job on my plumerias and various other mixes wasnt helping either....just wanted a mix that didnt compact....so will try yours....a drink to you if it works out ......

thanks

andy

• lil_cali_gal
    15 years ago

I have to comment about this mix topic.Ive been lurking for too long !!
    Andy, if your mix is compacted, it's dense, means about the same thing, from this lay person. Adding perlite and pumice will "lighten" any mix. Think of cheese cake !!! Dense and thick or light and airy. With this combination Jack explained, your mix will NOT be dense or compact. I can't explain it scientifically or horticulturely, think cheese cake !!

Rick, if you google both Kellog's Big R and Turf and Tee it should give you the break downs of their mixes. Each of us need to experiment, and find out what works for you in your area. Most of this is on Jack's web site and there's some great information over there !! Kimisplumeria.com give it a read or two or three !!

Jack you need a stiff G & T !!

Darlene ~cali gal~

• funinthesunincl
    15 years ago

OK...time to inject a little humor in here (btw Jack thank you very much for your garden mix formula), but when I seen the 'Kellog's Big R' what popped up in my mind was Kellogg's cereal; Battlecreek, MI (that I toured when I was a girl scout over 40 years ago...). I was picturing Kellogg's Big R (more fiber in the diet---the R stood for ruffage!!) :)

OK...back to gardening

• kbauman
    15 years ago

Hay Jack,
    You have to understand you get too complicated on your mixes and ideas.. we are home growers who are trying to grow plants in our yard.. Most of us have found that using cactus mix and lightening it up with pearlite, makes our plumeria grow. Many do their own mix and their plants flourish.. But most of us are just trying to grow our plants.
    Karen B

• kbauman
    15 years ago

Hi Rick
    you will find there is alway someone who has a different way of growing plumeria that works for them.. But using cacutus mix which is heavy, and adding pearlite which lightens it to let the water go through the mix... this mix works too..This is the mix I use and my plants are doing well. Always will be someone who trys the mix a different way. I will continue using the cactus/pearlite mix..works for me
    Karen B

• kimisdad
    15 years ago

Now that this is a new day it's time for some new thoughts on the same subject.

"You have to understand you get too complicated on your mixes and ideas.. we are home growers who are trying to grow plants in our yard.. "

Karen; These are not just ideas, these are thoughts every good amature/home gardener should understand and know. If this mix is to complicated (without the reasons why) how could anyone follow a simple recipe for a meal, mix some paint to paint a picture and on and on. Four parts each of those products is in no way complicated. If it is I feel sorry for anyone here who can't count to four. The reasons for this mix contain the information of why this simple mix is superior in every way to Cactus mix + perlite. Do most here understand the reasons good or bad why cactus may work for them? I have a simple hope also; that my horticulture , professional growing skills can be of benefit and helpful for those who participate here. If you review what I write on my web-sights you will find similar information free to anyone that wants it. If I am not being helpful for the majority here then I apologize and feel sorry for those that can't be helped no matter the reason.

Jack

• kimisdad
    15 years ago

Bill,

I began my post clarifying the mix as this:

"The following is an excellent mix for the Southern California area."

To purchase these products in most counties of So. Cal. is not burdensome. For east LA County area inclusive of the San Gabriel Valley; Whittier fertilizer with a more complete selection than OC Farm. As do some larger garden suppliers in Gardena and other communities. Most Counties in Southern California have a Western Farm supply and I could go on and on.

The exact brand of ingredient in not necessary as there are several manufacturers of these supplies. This is why I supplied the photos. Even many Armstrong Nurseries are carrying pumice and large perlite.

I find it not a big task to mix soils in smaller and medium amounts with a small amount of improvising. A wheel barrow or garden cart takes the back ache out of the work and one can mix for a small container or up to five 5 gal. nursery containers or one 15 gal. nursery container. A four part mix if you choose to make may sacrifice as much as two more minutes of your time per 2-3 cu. ft. lol We replant up to three thousand or more plants a year with me over seventy years of age doing over 75% of work by using a 3 cu. ft. electric mortar mixer. And I have survived this for many years unscathed LOL.

Out of California is another issue and I specifically addressed that "excellent mix for the Southern California area."

If anyone is interested in a horticulture science lesson I could elaborate on the superiority of this mix over any brand of cactus mix + perlite. This is the short version; In our own side by side trials the superiority was hands down easily noticeable and lab testing confirmed a superior storage of usable nutrients in the the plants after the growing season. As I have stated many times prior there are thousands of ways to grow plumeria, root cuttings, start seed and so on. However, there are superior growing techniques mostly used by professional growers that have been proven year after year. Even cactus and succulent growers do not use a commercial blended cactus mix. The percentage of sand in professional growers mixes becomes less and less as years go by because of negative issues from the sand! "Sand holds nutrients poorly; properly tested amendments can help". This quote is from a scientific article on golf course maintenance. It continues "Adding cation exchange capacity is more effective with amendments that have higher CECs in smaller volumes. For example, 40 liters of sand has close to the same cation exchange capacity (CEC) (1,000 meq) as 10 liters of forest humus a four to one ratio( of Turf N Tee or Kellogg's Big R)". So it takes 1/4th forest humus to the volume of sand to hold the same amount of nutrients as sand. Cation Exchange Capacity (CEC)is in simple terms the ability of a potting mix/soil to hold and deliver nutrients to your plants.

My Dime, Jack

• plumcr8zy
    15 years ago

Jack,
    I'M SORRY I ASKED! SUCH A WAY TO TREAT A CUSTOMER WHO BOUGHT PLANTS FROM YOUR LAST SALE. WILL THINK TWICE BEFORE I PATRONIZE YOUR BUSINESS AGAIN!.
    Rick

• plumcr8zy
    15 years ago

Jack,
    I thought this was a friendly forum to help, educate, and share ideas and thoughts about one thing we all have in common, PLUMERIAS. If I ask a question and you don't feel you want to answer, don't respond! In the time you did all that babbling, you could have just said Kellogg's Big R is a soil amendment made of redwood. Some of us that are new to growing these plants look towards those who have the knowledge and expertise. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. If I have a medical problem, I don't Google it to find a remedy, I go to a professional who is knowledgeable. I don't think my doctor would say look it up on the Internet. Again, if you don't want to answer a particular question, DON'T RESPOND!.
    Since I am a newbie, I'm going to ask questions that many of you may think are quite dumb. My belief is, "It's better to ask a dumb question than to make a stupid mistake".
    For all those who have been so kind and polite and have taken the time to have answered the questions that I've asked, thank you all so much.
    -Rick

• oorah
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mamamia.....what did I start.....I personally like to know the whys of things so kimisdads explanation of the mix I thought was great.....I hope I can find the engredients that he mentioned...if not I will substitute....

• lopaka_mikale
    15 years ago

I hope I'm not stepping into something here...

I have been growing a couple of Plumeria for many years now, but only got serious about learning about them over the last 2 of those years. So I'm a Newbie (I hate that word... last time you'll see me use it!). I would imagine that I stumbled across this forum the same way most of you did... using the internet to do research. I grow many tropicals in my gardens, and I use the internet to learn what I need to know about propagation, and general care, of specific plants. Most of what I need to know, is how to keep my plants alive, and have them do what I expect them to do. Simple stuff. Upon finding this site, I began reading, searching, eavesdropping to gain whatever knowledge I could from other people's experiences. That, and sharing our successes, and love of this spectacular plant, is the whole point of this forum.

Many times I have felt frustration with growers/nursery owners who seem hesitant to give you any real information on caring for plants. They will often toss you a bag of fertilizer, and that's it. One nursery owner gave me a fertilizer for a bougainvillea that wasn't blooming, and fertilized his bougainvillea with something else. He became evasive when I quizzed him on what he was using. I guess he felt threatened by me!? So when I saw that Jack, a very successful, and knowledgeable grower, was willing to share his expertise, I was very impressed and grateful. We should all consider ourselves fortunate to have Jack checking up on us from time to time!

That said, I also feel that follow-up questions are a natural response to information received, that we don't fully understand. If we were having a face-to-face conversation, questions and responses would fly back and forth. That's what each thread in this forum is... a conversation... a painfully slow conservation, maybe... but a conversation nonetheless. We get what we can out of it, and return the favor, when we can. Most of us just want to grow our plants in a healthy manner, and we look to the experts, like Jack and Bill, and even to each other to help out. Its a good system... it works well.

Finally, I am guessing that Kimi's Plumeria provides the highest quality plants, and I'm certain that Jack's advice is of equal qulity. I would shop his nursery for the plants, and this forum for his wisdom.

Mahalo, Jack.
    Mahalo, Bill.
    Mahalo nui loa, everyone.

Bob

• plumcr8zy
    15 years ago

Bob,
    I agree with what you said. As I said a couple of threads up, we share thoughts about something we all have in common, Plumerias. In sharing those thoughts, we give help and advice if we have very technical questions or questions that may seem very trivial. Reading success stories or failures in growing plumerias helps everyone.
    I also agree that Kimi's Plumeria does have high quality plants and Jack is very knowledgeable.
    From what I've read on this forum, the majority here are weekend gardeners and grow Plumerias as a hobby. Basically, all we want to know, is how to grow these plants to give us the best chance of success. What I didn't like about Jack's response to my question was his pompous and arrogant attitude. As far as I'm concerned, he can keep that to himself. If he had a bad day, like he states, why take it out on me?
    I can really rip on Jack, but I won't do that. This is a friendly forum and things are usually kept light hearted.
    I guess I've vented enough.
    Sorry to all those who read this,
    Rick

• lil_cali_gal
    15 years ago

Can you please share your email address on your members page ?? A public forum is no place to grind your axe.

Cali

• funinthesunincl
    15 years ago

Wow...this forum is part of the 'Information Highway'---if you don't like to drive in the current conditions---get off!! (CAPS were so unnecessary!!) Jack has provided EXCELLENT info for as long as I have been here & if you would have 'read as many as the forums here' as you said, you would find a big variety of soil mixes! He was just being nice in giving the information on a soil mix good for So Cal to the original poster...

Always remember---perceived emotions are sometimes dangerous---and don't take offense by something you read. This is a friendly, informative forum---keep it cool!!!

• oorah
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kimisdad...I was searching the web on where to purchase pumice when I came accross an article you posted on 28 Jan 08....the following mix is different from the above.....need some help here...

Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss 30%
    Coarse Redwood and Fir mulch 30%
    Nursery Sand 10%
    Horticulture Pumice 1/2 -3/8", 1/2-5/16" 30%

thanks

andy

• buzzsaw8
    15 years ago

The mix we refer to as "Al's Mix" (container forum), is the best mix I've ever used. You can search for more info but here's the basic breakdown:

5 parts pine bark fines (fir also acceptable)
    1 part perlite
    1 part spaghum peat

Very fast draining and lasts at least one year.

• kimisdad
    15 years ago

Hi Andy,

This was the mix we used up until spring of 2008. It was retail labeled Super Soil and readily available at Home Depot and Lowes. The McClellan family sold the company to Scott's (miracle grow)in 2006. We purchased the mix bagged/pre-mixed except for pumice which we added. The manufacture now Scotts changed formula or suppliers and the mix started turning into sludge. Cali and I think trojanfan along with us and others had used this product. This was a super convenient source for many locally that now is junk. The search was on for a new mix which we tried Premier HP and was not happy with that. I then made my own mix of the present which is the best I have used in the last 15 years. It became a real project to re-pot much of 2007 product to both Premier and the new mix. Maybe Cali and others can give their experiences with the change in Super Soil Mix.

Jack

• lil_cali_gal
    15 years ago

Here is a picture of the old formula (bottom of the picture) and the new one (top of the picture) of Super Soil. BIG difference. My plants noticed it and promptly told me about it. The new formula is too fine, holds too much moisture or water.. doesn't drain well. This is after I add pumice and perlite, just like I did with the old formula. Seems all the "big stuff" is gone. These samples are straight out of the bags, just soil.

Cali

• lil_cali_gal
    15 years ago

That's great Buzzsaw that you found something that you really like. There's multitude of different mixes out there, as well as a multitude of varying techniques to grow,root,prune etc etc etc plumeria. When you find something that works for you .... love it and stay with it !!! What works for me may or may not work for you. That's why we need to research, and do some experimenting on our own to prove the different concepts. To see what will work for your own unique situation.

Cali

• kimisdad
    15 years ago

Buzzsaw,

How many plumeria has "Al" or you grown in that mix? I would compare your mix to the pics in my first post on this thread.

Jack

• kbauman
    15 years ago

Hi,
    figured out the other mix of the redwood admendment..fir from redwoods or ? after google and trying to research..what is the turf and Tee? so super soil no.. what about adding regular planting soil like for planting petunia..etc. wouldn't that be richer, to add to my cactus soil..does have redwood mix..
    Karen b

• kimisdad
    15 years ago

For those that found it difficult to locate the info on my soil mix these are the sites you need:

KelloggÂs Big R
    http://www.kellogggarden.com/new/gardeners/big-r-redwood-soil-conditioner.php

Turf N Tee
    http://sequoiabark.com/products.html#turf

#3 Perlite
    http://www.perlite.net/

Horticultural Pumice
    http://www.clppumice.com/horticultural.html

Jack

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    15 years ago

This is so helpful. Thanks Jack. ~dave

• kbauman
    15 years ago

Hi Jack,
    Ok..now, not knocking your mix.. Just conversation...I am having a hard time seeing how two products..redwood decomposed bark and redwood amendment..plus two agents that obviously makes it airy, pearlite and plumice can make a plant grow..probably the humas has nutirents..but that seems to be a neutral mix to me. that you will have to add a lot to the plant to give it the nutitions to grow..

Karen B

• kimisdad
    15 years ago

Karen,

Did you read this from my previous post?

"If anyone is interested in a horticulture science lesson I could elaborate on the superiority of this mix over any brand of cactus mix + perlite. This is the short version; In our own side by side trials the superiority was hands down easily noticeable and lab testing confirmed a superior storage of usable nutrients in the the plants after the growing season. As I have stated many times prior there are thousands of ways to grow plumeria, root cuttings, start seed and so on. However, there are superior growing techniques mostly used by professional growers that have been proven year after year. Even cactus and succulent growers do not use a commercial blended cactus mix. The percentage of sand in professional growers mixes becomes less and less as years go by because of negative issues from the sand! "Sand holds nutrients poorly; properly tested amendments can help". This quote is from a scientific article on golf course maintenance. It continues "Adding cation exchange capacity is more effective with amendments that have higher CECs in smaller volumes. For example, 40 liters of sand has close to the same cation exchange capacity (CEC) (1,000 meq) as 10 liters of forest humus a four to one ratio( of Turf N Tee or Kellogg's Big R)". So it takes 1/4th forest humus to the volume of sand to hold the same amount of nutrients as sand. Cation Exchange Capacity (CEC)is in simple terms the ability of a potting mix/soil to hold and deliver nutrients to your plants."

And these two web sites?

KelloggÂs Big R
    http://www.kellogggarden.com/new/gardeners/big-r-redwood-soil-conditioner.php

Turf N Tee
    http://sequoiabark.com/products.html#turf

Now compare this with the "food value" of your cactus mix and its nutrient holding value. That is the answer to your question.

Jack

• kimisdad
    15 years ago

More notes on cactus mix:

For most of the rare Mexican cacti , you need a very well drained mix with little nutritional value such as cactus mix.

"Fine sand/silt in natural soil holds moisture in narrow interparticle spaces and wicks moisture into the root zone from the subsoil. This service is not needed for potted plants. The particles pack too tight for good root aeration and offer little ion exchange capability. They also do
    little to support plants structurally. There is no specific need for sand in a soil mix".

There is much more evidence on the web that explains that their is little nutrient value and nutrient holding capacity (CEC) of cactus mix.

The reason cactus mix works for so many is the fact that plumeria can tolerate adverse conditions. On the other hand in my over fifty years of growing a large variety of plants common to our local area I have never found any other plant to tolerate as much fertilizing as plumeria. We do continuous feed where our plumeria are fed at a moderate level of nutrients at every watering. In addition, to this regimen I have added a foliar/leaf feed on a daily basis for two months on longer periods of time. This proves to me the fact that their would be a significant health increase to plumeria with soils having a greater nutrient holding capacity (CEC).

If more evidence is needed to convince anyone here that cactus mix is an inferior soil mix just ask and I will do the research necessary to convince you. However one could do their own research and save me the time LOL.

Jack

• oorah
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kimisdad ...going up to pick up some pumice from the store you mentioned.....I called and they said pumice is sold in 45 pound bags.....is there only one type or am I to look for a specific type...

thanks

• kimisdad
    15 years ago

oorrah,

The white 45 lb. bag is what you want. Just tell them you are container growing plumeria.

Jack

• flamingofern
    15 years ago

Wow. I have 3 plumerias, small, medium, and large and was wondering why none have bloomed. So I'm studying, and I run across this thread. Wow. It is very interesting and all, and I would not question Jack's knowledge, in fact I definitely find it fascinating and am going to go to his site, but jeez, I only have 3. A 45 lb bag of pumice? I don't need a 45 lb bag of the whole mix for the three. Geez. Top of my head wondering, redwood? Sequioa? I'm in Louisiana.

15 years ago

I sure wish we could get pumice out here. I think the #1 reason for plumeria failure is poor drainage. I believe pumice might be the answer. We have to settle for small perlite and large perlite. Large perlite is even very difficult to find.

OK, regarding Jack's mix, -- and I might be misinterpreting Karen B's question -- but I think she was asking Jack not so much how the nutrients were stored or transfered to the plants in his mix, but where they came from? Do the nutrients come from the mix?? or are they 'stored' in the mix from fertilizers in the watering program? We don't doubt it's a very loose mix, which contributes to great aeration of the roots. It just seems to be similar to growing them in a pile of rocks or gravel -- zero nutrients coming from the mix. Or am I wrong. Thanks in advance!! Just trying to clarify some issues.

• kimisdad
    15 years ago

Dave,

To answer that question I will start with this;

Sand in a container has a very small amount of nutrients. Also sand can not maintain the nutrients very well. Sand can support beneficial bacteria that makes food available to the plant however has very little until added. Because sand has so little nutrients i.e. humus it will not support a healthy plant until fertilizers or humus is added. It will depend on the dying roots to develop organic matter/humus in the volume to feed the plant. One other negative the sand readily compacts every time you water.

Kellogg's Big R and Turf N Tee are organic humus. As bacteria develops it begins to break down the organic mater into available food for the plant. In addition, Turf N Tee has available food out of the bag and a nitrogen stabilizing material added which allows the humus to breakdown at a rate to extend its usefulness. Then you have the fact that the organic material to sand in equal volume will hold the four (4) factor in holding the humus/food material that is present. When fertilizer is added both organic materials will have the four (4) factor in volume holding and making food available to the plant.

Sand equals very little food value and a very low ability to hold whats present or added.

Big R and Turf N Tee ARE FOOD for the plant and has a greater food holding ability. Organic matter which these two products are has a very low compaction rate.

The choice is simple to me. How about you?

Jack

• oorah
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jack.....found a source for pumice however it is 3/16".....seems kinda of small....how big is the pumice from your source....

thanks

andy

• kimisdad
    15 years ago

Andy,

There are two popular sizes sold; one being 3/16" & 3/8" the product @ OC Farm I believe is a mix of both but mostly 3/16. I like 3/16 for smaller production plants and 3/8 for large containers 15 gal. and up. The 3/8 is hard to find. the only place I know that carries 3/16 & 3/8 is Whittier Fertilizer.

9441 Kruse Rd
    Pico Rivera, CA 90660
    (562) 699-3461

Also you can up the size of perlite from #3 to #4 for larger containers.

Jack

Here is a link that might be useful: Directions to Whittier Fertilizer

• kbauman
    15 years ago

hi,
    On the discussion of the garden mix.. One reply that was passed in this conversation was when another expert on this board Bill stated that he uses Unigrow Cactus mix, with the plumice and pearlite and his plants were growing and doing well for many years.. This is the mix that most of us have used with success, using his advise of how to grow plumeria.

so may I suggest those of us who chose to use the cactus mix with additives do so.

Those who wish to use the organic mix that is suggested by Jack do so..
    that is nothing wrong in growing plants in a cactus soil, I will not be embarassed saying I do use it and am pleased with the growth of my plants. I will not offer advise again, can see too much discussion will follow.

Karen B.

• lil_cali_gal
    15 years ago

This is my last comment on this string.
    Karen I don't know how many times Ive read...(and Ive said myself) "if it works for you stay with it" If the cactus mix w/pumice/perlite work for you, and others, "Dont fix it if it ain't broke" !!! If youre pleased with it, there's no reason to change "what works for you " Not everyone is in agreement. It isn't a war or contest, it's all about finding a mix that works for you !!

Cali

• trojanfan53
    15 years ago

Jack, I for one appreciate all your helpful information. I was able to Google Kellogg's Big R and Turf & Tee. Will give it a shot next time I'm down in the OC. Only one thing Jack, what do I do with the 3/4 barrel of Pro-Mix HP I still have? As you know, I had some problems with rooting new cuttings and established plants using Pro-Mix. I am now using Unigrow cactus mix with some additives (bone meal, blood meal, a little more worm castings and cinder rock). Good thread Jack. I'm always open to suggestions.

Dave

• funinthesunincl
    15 years ago

Jack, thank you for educating us on a good 'plumeria mix' that works.

Oorah...good luck with the mix you use! I look forward to seeing pics of beautiful blooms in the future!!!

One last thing...if ya'll read Jim Little's book (which I read over & over...) titled 'Growing Plumeria In Hawaii', he even uses Kellogg's Big R!!!! And we all know JL knows his stuff!!!! Everyone---make sure you get this book, it is a very good read about plumeria!

• kimisdad
    15 years ago

Karen,

Andy had a problem with his soil mix. I made a suggestion of a "superior mix". Two people brought up the usage of cactus mix. I provided the science to support my position. I never said anyone had to use the suggested mix. I left it as a choice "The choice is simple to me. How about you?" You responded with your choice and that is no problem for me. These type of discussions make options and educate the growing public. I enjoy sharing my many years of growing experience, horticulture education and knowledge and close to forty years of plumeria cultivation. I can only hope it is of benefit to you and everyone else who frequents this forum and my websites. I am open to any and all criticism, and scientific evidence for anyone's position. And if I am unclear I will do my best to clarify. However there remains the responsibility of those participating to do some research on the subject to help them understand whats being discussed or I will spend 60 hours a week answering unnecessary questions instead of working and taking care of my daughter "Kimi".

I am done and pleased with the thread I hope you are also its time for me to move on.

Jack

15 years ago

Jack, thanks for your contribution to this thread. I know it takes a lot of time! When your business depends on the best and most cost-effective mix, you'll certainly use what works! I wish I had these products available locally. I will have to substitute.

• mikeod
    15 years ago

I have known Jack for several years, although my move to FL has decreased our contact severely. Following his recommendations on soil mix resulted in my plumeria thriving in CA, so I really listen when he speaks.

While he prefaces his comment about the soil mix being superior for Southern California, it's important to let you all know that the same sort (I can't get exactly the same products in FL) of soil mix he advocates is working well on those plants I brought with me and those I acquired here.

For me, the primary benefit is that I don't have to worry about overwatering either by my actions or by Mother Nature's (as in TS Fay). The soil mix retains some moisture, but excess water just runs out the bottom of my pots so the roots are never oversaturated. This shows me that the soil mix is not compacting.

Note that Jack uses a continuous feeding process. Thinking that through, it suggested that nutrients provided through fertilization may not linger very long due to the mix allowing liquid fertilizers applied to the soil to drain through. So I embarked on a system of foliar feeding primarily, supplemented periodically with root feeding. The plants have responded well to this regimen.

Mike

• lopaka_mikale
    15 years ago

Hi Mike

I'd love to know what your recipe is. I've been searching for substitute products to Jack's recipe, but have not gotten very far. I have even considered having some product shipped in, but have not gotten one return email from manufacturers or vendors. I asked about pumice at a local nursery, and the manager thought I was talking about a middle-eastern food dish... no lie.

Any help you can offer a fellow Floridian would be great. Where in Florida are you located?

Mahalo,
    Bob

• mikeod
    15 years ago

Bob,
    I'm up near Leesburg in The Villages. I've been using a potting mix from Walmart with copious amounts of a fired clay kitty litter from Walmart. It comes in a red bag. It has no scent, and contains only the clay. So far it is working well, and doesn't seem to break down in the pot nor compact. I also have been buying pumice from eBay designed for bonsai. It is small grained and fairly expensive, about $10 for a few pounds.

The Walmart potting soil is comparable to the old version of SuperSoil Jack mentions. I'm sure my mix is not as good as Jack's, but it is something I can get here.

Mike

• newgen
    13 years ago

This mix seems like it can support dragon fruit very well. I have some DF that I'd like to pot up. Anybody else growing DF with this mix?

• neriumking
    13 years ago

Geez, some people are b1+chy!

• JTMnutrients
    13 years ago

If you are interested in using a synthetic blend of a chemical and organic fertilizer, try JTM Nutrient's turf fertilizer. You can read more on the website about why a synthetic blend of nutrients can help your soil and plants thrive.

Here is a link that might be useful: turf fertilizer