Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasplum

cuttings are doing awesome!

texasplum
10 years ago

The cuttings I got fron derrick are doing awesome! So far I have only lost one out of 30 and all the other ones are showing growth and some have even put on some leaves.I think it has been right at a month since we started rooting them. The only one we lost was in the gritty mix. I will post up some pics in a bit. Thanks for all the tips and help!!

Comments (26)

• texasplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one is even putting off a flower!

• texasplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another

• rox146
    10 years ago

all mine from Derrick in May...doing great except for Midnight Ruby....Lost half of the whole cutting and still trying to hang in there. roxanne

• texasplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When should i start to water these?

• dthrooop
    10 years ago

It looks like things are progressing well, but I wouldn't water them until there is a good set of visible roots. Seeing how you have them in plastic bottles, this should be fairly easy to determine.

• Minderella
    10 years ago

TexasPlum, I like your container, Where did you get it/find it/buy it?

Mindy

• pcput
    10 years ago

texasplum , you might want to try misting them as I see some are wrinkled. As soon as they get some roots going they will plump up.
    Peg

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

I am very glad that you had good luck with cuttings from Derrick. I ordered 4 from him in March and this is what they look like today. First 3 on the bench. I was very unhappy with what I got, 2 were rubbery when I got them. I used the egg method for each and even the ones that I ordered from other people that I got in May have many leafs but these are still not doing much of anything. To be fair I did email Derrick when I received them to let him know about being rubbery and he did say he would replace them if I paid shipping but I did pay shipping the first time and this is the first time I have got ones that look this bad. I must have started at least 50 cuttings this year and these are the only ones that have not done anything. Barb

• texasplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys and I will give them a good misting tom. There are a couple that are pretty wrinkled so hopefully they will continue to look better. Sorry about the bad luck with derrick barb I did get a few that were rubbery but he did replace them for me...just hoping they turn out to be what they are supposed to...

• texasplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh and Mindy the container is an old plastic coke case. My mom found it a sale somewhere...no telling with her!

• Minderella
    10 years ago

I also got a couple out of 4 that were rubbery, the main one I wanted died, Kalenani, so I have only 2 of his left. I wish I knew someone that also sells that one,

Thanks for letting me know what it is, now that you say what it is, it looks very familiar. haha
    Mindy

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Mindy...

I bought mine from Matt or fuzzy... Send them an email and ask for Ka Len Nani...

I think they have them!!!

Hope this helps..

Maybe Michelle might have one too? Wendy?

Good luck !!

Laura

• ANNAMARIA VECCHIO
    10 years ago

Mindy...Did you try MPG? They may have them too.
    Annamaria

• Minderella
    10 years ago

I sent Matt a message, he has them but not ready yet for sale. I have looked on MPG website, didn't see any listed. I don't think Wendy has any but will ask.

Thanks everyone for your help, I will probably wait till next spring so it has a long growing, rooting season.

Mindy

• texasplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Finally opened up! Opened up a little funky but love the color!

• texasplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Couple others

• texasplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looks like this one is gona bloom before to long

• Minderella
    10 years ago

TexasPlum, what is the red one called?

• texasplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Samoan red

• texasplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Should I cut the inflo off to help with root development of can I leave it on there? Thanks!

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

Texasplum, I would cut off the inflo if you do not have nice size leaves yet. I would like to know when you got them and plant them, just be nosey. I got mine in March with a lot of other ones from other people and still they are not doing anywhere close to the other ones. Thanks, Barb

• texasplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks barb for getting back to me. It does not have any big leaves yet so i will cut it off. Was exciting to see the colors. Does it look like a samoan red to yall? Just makes me wonder after everything I have read... I will look and see when we got them in and see when we started rooting them. I know my mom has it all the dates written down. I am pretty sure they are right at a month right now but I will check and post back tom. The ones at my moms house are doing better than mine some of hers already have 3-4 decent size leaves on them. She's does have them on her back porch where they get the afternoon sun mine only get the morning sun. May be the difference....thanks for all the help

• texasplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

.double post

This post was edited by texasplum on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 1:16

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

Your very welcome. I have a Julie Moragne in March that I got from Matt on ebay and as you can see in the picture taken about a month ago that it had a very nice flower on it. I cut it off and now that cutting has lots of leaves. If it has flowers and lots of leaves I leave it alone but this late in the season I want leaves and not flowers. I don't have one that color so can not say if it is the Samoan Red. But it looks very pretty.

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

Texasplum, Here is the same plant and now it looks health with lots of leaves. Some times you have to cut the flowers off to get a health plant.

Barb

When watering this morning I saw one of the cuttings I got from Derrick that it had a few leaves but it was rotting at the bottom. I took it out of the pot, seeing that it had no roots at all and cut it until I did not see anymore rot. It did have two tips so now I have two cuttings to try to start again. Will wait for a week or so before I start over. Hope that at least one will grow since it was or should be a Hawaiian Sunset which is one I really wanted.

• texasplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Barb just looked at my moms notebook and we rooted all the cutting on july 27. So as of right now it is right at a month. How do yall think they look so far? Ahead if the curve or maybe a little behind? I will be cutting off the inflo tonight gona be hard to do but will be better for the plant. Good luck on this rooting barb!

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County