Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Am I over watering, again?

Posted by pjp123 USDA Zone 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 18:51

My gift plummie was simply beautiful, even if it was all jammed up and root bound in its 5 gallon plastic pot.

Then I had to transplant it in a 12.5 gallon with 100% cactus soil medium, a tad of bone meal and a good flooding.,

Every four days the top 2.5 inches of soil were dust dry so I would give it a gallon or two of water. Repeat & repeat. Down at 3 inches it is moist but up top it is dust!
Oh, I have tons of 1" holes in the bottom covered with river rock.

Now her leaves seem to be turning yellow awfully fast and several of the mature ones have brown burned tips.

Am I on the verge of killing another plummie? Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Am I over watering, again?

Yeap, I think you are overwatering. Use a moisture meter to see the moisture at the roots level, not at the top of the soil. What did you use to amend the soil and make it well drainable?

o

• Posted by pjp123 USDA Zone 10 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 20:29

Hi SagoLover, and thank you for responding!

The soil is 100% cactus soil for instant draining. Should I have added anything?

Here's a pix of the pot which sits in direct sun for 10-12 hours a day. Temp? Usually 87 - 92 degrees.

It is just killing me that the top 2 inches are so bone dry and at 3" it is moist. And the pot is 19" tall and the root ball sits at 14". And on its first "soaking" the pot drained like crazy.

o

I personally use 1:1 cactus/palm mix: perlite and it drains just fine. I also have cycads and those have a mix made of 30% cactus, 50% perlite and 20% bark chips. Also very well draining mix.

o

I don't think you are overwatering at all. You have sun scorch on your trunk. The intense heat and sun is what's causing the yellowing leaves IMO. Plus, it is in a dark pot, so the root zone is probably way too hot.

Just my opinion,
Tony

o

Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 0:36

Hi SagoLover and Pharaoh4!

Thank you both for taking the time to help me.

Looks like I'll be repotting with a cactus/perlite mix and definitely finding a new spot for the pot.

Again, thanks!

o

• Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 0:45

I agree with Tony. That plumeria tree will do fine in that location IF you planted it in the ground. The sun exposure is fine. It's the pot that is retaining way too much heat for the roots. So either put it in ground, or find a lighter color pot. Also a layer or 2 of mulch will help greatly.

o

Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 1:02

Thanks all:

I'll re-pot in a new pot in a new spot.
"Whew!"

o

• Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 13:25

I like your tongue twister!!
8-))
Good luck!

o

That plant looks like it needs a larger pot to me. Not much soil for those roots to grow.

o

Agree with Tony and Dave. Your brown tips are burn, you went from a 5 gallon to a large pot with about 6 gallons of soil- not much of a gain, and your trunk shows signs of sunburn. You may have heat radiating or light reflecting off that shed. I would filter down the light and move into a cooler location. Bill

o

Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 22:30

Wow, I'm really taken by the sincere responses from so many of you.

Thanks to you all!

o

pjp,

Can you tell we're rather passionate about these plants? LOL! Happy growing!

o

a bigger pot and move it off the concrete.
In full sun and our heat (heat index has been averaging 110) they can be watered every day here but as a rule I treat them like cactus and barely water them.
Tally Ho!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here