Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjp1234

Am I over watering, again?

pjp123
10 years ago

My gift plummie was simply beautiful, even if it was all jammed up and root bound in its 5 gallon plastic pot.

Then I had to transplant it in a 12.5 gallon with 100% cactus soil medium, a tad of bone meal and a good flooding.,

Every four days the top 2.5 inches of soil were dust dry so I would give it a gallon or two of water. Repeat & repeat. Down at 3 inches it is moist but up top it is dust!
Oh, I have tons of 1" holes in the bottom covered with river rock.

Now her leaves seem to be turning yellow awfully fast and several of the mature ones have brown burned tips.

Am I on the verge of killing another plummie? Help!

Comments (13)

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Yeap, I think you are overwatering. Use a moisture meter to see the moisture at the roots level, not at the top of the soil. What did you use to amend the soil and make it well drainable?

• pjp123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi SagoLover, and thank you for responding!

The soil is 100% cactus soil for instant draining. Should I have added anything?

Here's a pix of the pot which sits in direct sun for 10-12 hours a day. Temp? Usually 87 - 92 degrees.

It is just killing me that the top 2 inches are so bone dry and at 3" it is moist. And the pot is 19" tall and the root ball sits at 14". And on its first "soaking" the pot drained like crazy.

• mimalf
    10 years ago

I personally use 1:1 cactus/palm mix: perlite and it drains just fine. I also have cycads and those have a mix made of 30% cactus, 50% perlite and 20% bark chips. Also very well draining mix.

• Pharaoh4
    10 years ago

I don't think you are overwatering at all. You have sun scorch on your trunk. The intense heat and sun is what's causing the yellowing leaves IMO. Plus, it is in a dark pot, so the root zone is probably way too hot.

Just my opinion,
    Tony

• pjp123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi SagoLover and Pharaoh4!

Thank you both for taking the time to help me.

Looks like I'll be repotting with a cactus/perlite mix and definitely finding a new spot for the pot.

Again, thanks!

• newgen
    10 years ago

I agree with Tony. That plumeria tree will do fine in that location IF you planted it in the ground. The sun exposure is fine. It's the pot that is retaining way too much heat for the roots. So either put it in ground, or find a lighter color pot. Also a layer or 2 of mulch will help greatly.

• pjp123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all:

I'll re-pot in a new pot in a new spot.
    "Whew!"

• newgen
    10 years ago

I like your tongue twister!!
    8-))
    Good luck!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

That plant looks like it needs a larger pot to me. Not much soil for those roots to grow.

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

Agree with Tony and Dave. Your brown tips are burn, you went from a 5 gallon to a large pot with about 6 gallons of soil- not much of a gain, and your trunk shows signs of sunburn. You may have heat radiating or light reflecting off that shed. I would filter down the light and move into a cooler location. Bill

• pjp123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, I'm really taken by the sincere responses from so many of you.

Thanks to you all!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

pjp,

Can you tell we're rather passionate about these plants? LOL! Happy growing!

• beachplant
    10 years ago

a bigger pot and move it off the concrete.
    In full sun and our heat (heat index has been averaging 110) they can be watered every day here but as a rule I treat them like cactus and barely water them.
    Tally Ho!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting