Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mscynthia_gw

Magenta Spots on Leaves & a Cutting Q

mscynthia
10 years ago

Hello fellow Plumeriaholics :) I've been lurking (and drooling) and soaking up info and I'm ready to come out of hiding.

I've had a grafted dwarf Singapore Pink for about 4 months; in the last few weeks it's developed magenta spots on some of the leaves. While they're a pretty color I'm fairly sure they're not supposed to be there. I don't see any bugs, it gets 8+ hours of mostly direct sun each day and I struggle not to water it too much. It's in a terra cotta pot and is planted in a mix of MG cactus soil and perlite. Anyone know what the magenta spots could be trying to tell me?

2nd Q: I just got two cuttings from an eBay seller in Fla. - one Mona Lisa (rooted) and a fresh cutting of Elsie. Potted up Mona Lisa and have it in a shady spot. The seller's instructions say to put the cutting in a shady spot for 1-2 weeks before planting. I'm planning to put it in perlite (in a transparent cup - what a great idea) to root. Should I really wait up to two weeks?? He dusted the cutting with rooting hormone if that factors in,

Sorry to be so long-winded. Thanks for the inspiration and in advance for the help.

Cynthia - owner of the 5' plumeria lovingly known as The Green Stick (that's another issue for another time)

Comments (6)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

MSC,
    We always need another Texan on the forum. Its hard to say for sure about the spots. Is it on the new growth or old growth?

I get spotty leaves off season on my Dwarf Singapore Pink (DSP) but you being near Dallas that shouldn't happen until late November. If the spots turn brown lets start with mites or thrips as being the culprit. If they stay consistent then try a systemic fungicide. You could go for both with a 3 in 1 product. Bayer makes one and there is another in an aqua color bottle. Both can be found at almost all box stores. Once you have sprayed it I would highly recommend you move it to shade for at least 3-5 days after the last treatment.

Watch the new leaves to determine effectiveness.

Here is a better Idea for your cutting. get a large enough box or container to hold the cutting laying down. Fill it with pine bark mulch and bury the cutting in it. put in a warm but not sunny location and forget about it for two weeks. This is Citizen Insane's prep method for rooting. I also like perlite for rooting.

Best of luck with them both and if you get the opportunity post a picture. Glad you decided to jump in.

Edited: "box or container"

This post was edited by kms2 on Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 11:24

• mscynthia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the welcome and the cutting recommendation. Maybe stupid question: would cypress mulch work or does it need to be pine? (pine is more acidic and the cutting needs that?)

The spots are on old(er) growth and go throughout the thickness of the leaves. Maybe sunburn from water spots on the leaves? I guess it's carotenoids showing but why?

This post was edited by mscynthia on Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 9:32

• mscynthia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Close-up. Crummy camera, the spots are truly magenta/rose madder colored.

• mscynthia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Underside of a leaf

• Quaching
    10 years ago

That looks like rust to me. I would go ahead and cut off all the leaves that have the rust spots, if you don't then it will spread to all the leaves. I have had plenty of my plumeria's end up with rust on the leaves and that is exactly how it starts. If you cut them off now then you have a very good chance of stopping it early. They also make a spray that you can put on the leaves if you decide not to cut them off....but I would cut them off asap.

Also, if the cutting is really fresh and the cut end isn't dry then I would wait 2 weeks. If you plant it early you risk the chance of it rotting.

• mscynthia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The spotty leaves have been removed from DSP and the cutting is buried in bark mulch (keeps it from dying out? Keeps me from messing with it?).

I'm going to wait two weeks from the date it was cut and then will put it in perlite to root. According to what I've read, the program is to water the cutting after I put it in perlite, put it in the shade and then nothing but misting until it has leaves. Right? I've never rooted a plumie cutting before so this is a new experience. Very different from my African violet days :)

Cynthia