Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
derft1

Catastrophe Last Night

derft1
10 years ago

Awoke this morning to this mess. My guess it was a Racoon or an Armadillo. They got 21 plants. All were planted with an EGG. I repotted them all today....guess what...without an EGG. They will probably be back tonight. Hope I don't find they same thing tomorrow.

Fred

Comments (23)

• derft1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic 2

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

Good gosh! How horrible for you. I'm so sorry!
    I hope the guilty critters move along so they don't end up buried in one of those pots!

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

I bet you felt sick. What a terrible thing to happen but at least they did not walk away or eat them. Barb

• rox146
    10 years ago

derft...I am SOOOOO sorry to hear this. I have everything with an egg under and we have a baited live capture trap right where the plumeria sit....we have caught 23 raccoon/possum this season alone and have never had any thing smell the egg and dig in....my heart goes out to you......roxanne

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

Akkkkk! Sorry that happened. We've got critters in our area (and two dogs) so despite what I've heard about the egg method, its not for me to try... Maybe in a closed greenhouse...
    I'm sure your plants will be fine though.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

I have the same problem with a armadillo, that comes to visit very night. Thank goodness he doesn't bother my plants. He goes after the grubs in our yard. When we wake up, it looks like someone was playing polo in our yard, but he has solved our mole problem. Armadillo love eggs, so I think you made the right decision not to put them back. Barbra

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Oh, no! What a mess! I would be freaking out.
    So sorry.

-Robert

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

OH Fred,...

It makes my stomach ache for you,.

I would rinse the mix really well to get the smell out of the mix. You don't want them revisiting looking for the eggs. The broken eggs eaten by these rascals... Will leave a scent for others..

Maybe you could tie them in sections.. How are the roots? I would repot after rinsing the mix, then take twine and tie several together and put away from that area...

I'm so sorry you had this awful accident..

No eggs for me... ;-)

I Feel for you....

Laura

• Lnorigb
    10 years ago

how bizarre! and how utterly devastating for you.

• derft1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for feeling my pain. Laura, all the roots were damaged. Some really bad. I did not re-pot with gritty mix as I did not want to take the chance of the egg smell bringing the critter back or leaving them out while I cleaned the mix. It took me all day to re-pot.

I re-potted with 50% 5-1-1 and 50% pumice. I wanted to try this mix anyhow. We shall see. If I don't like the mix I will re-pot in the spring with Gritty mix.

Sure hope it doesn't happen again tonight.

Fred

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Fred,

Probably wise to use another mix... Those eggs are rotten and would be hard to get that smell out of the mix. Wise choice!! They can smell the residue and could have come back for more. Even if you had root damage, they should still do fine. I would stake them after you pot up so they don't move in The container... Did you Move them from that spot? I would even wash the area and even use cleaner on your concrete or deck to rid the smell...

I think they will all come back fine.. They didn't chew them and even if you still have some roots, they will continue to grow!, They are pretty resilient trees... They can surprise us with how much they can handle.. ;-)

Good luck.. Keep us posted!!!

Laura

• pcput
    10 years ago

Oh Fred! How terrible! I've seen this happen to others but have never heard of them coming back once the eggs were gone. Hopefully they won't do it again for you too.
    Peg

• rox146
    10 years ago

Fred, what area are you in? roxanne

• derft1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laura, I did wash the deck. Backyard is to small and there is no good place to move them to. Critter would just find them sooner as he came in under fence and close to fence is only open space as Koi pond takes up most of yard.

I always stake with at least three stakes so roots don't move.

Fred..Will post in morning with good news I hope.

• derft1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Roxanne....I'm in Burleson Texas about 20 mile south of Fort Worth..Fred

• rox146
    10 years ago

I am soooooo sorry.....your loss is so sad and I hope you can salvage them. We don't have armadillos...happy for that I guess, but between the possums and the racoons and squirrels...we catch and release several miles away...my heart goes out to you.....roxanne

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

I am so sorry that this has happened to you! I am a firm believer in the egg rooting method. A very good friend of mine gave me a Scott Pratt and with the raw egg it rooted in a few weeks! I still use raw eggs even after the cuttings have rooted but thankfully, i (knock on wood), have never had critters digging the eggs out of the pit. My only complaint, is that I have had raw eggs explode in my pots indoors! TALK ABOUT PUTRID!!!!

I wish you the best of luck, and hopefully the darn critters will leave your plumeria ALONE!

Andrew

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

Sorry again. I don't know why I thought that they did not have roots yet. I would have been sick and sure hope that all will start growing again and that you don't have any more visits from any other animals. Barb

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    10 years ago

Fred,

I'm in Burleson too!!!
    We need to connect!!!

Lonnie

• derft1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good news. Either the critter didn't return or is no longer attracted to the plants. Yeah.

Barb... They had roots. However, half of them were newly rooted and were really damaged when the pots were overturned knocking off most of the new roots, I don't know if they will recover. I will just have to wait and see.

Fred

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

Fred- they should root. even the ones with most roots removed should root again. You may want to cut off some of the leaves on the damaged ones so they do not need so much water.
    Rox- I bet those racoons come back and tell all their friends where they can get a quick snack at Rox's trap and then get a free ride up town.

• rox146
    10 years ago

YUP...we are up to 23 raccoon/possums and 4 squirrels (the squirrels in the last 3 days) They LOVE pizza and dog food. Peanut butter is a shoe in. I am still amazed that in the last 3 years since I have been doing the egg method...absolutely no problem or smell. Of course I am not in the heat either.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Now I don't feel so bad about finally hearing what kind of noise an armadillo makes.

(lets see who get its)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio