Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonie_57

Is branching without blooming commonplace?

moonie_57 (8 NC)
11 years ago

My noid, which has an inflo on one branch, appears to be branching (on a different branch) but hasn't bloomed yet. In fact, it looks like another branch may be getting ready to do the same thing.

I could be wrong, as it's early yet to tell 100%. This past week, I've been looking at the tips thinking it looked like they were ready to bust with an inflo. Now it looks like it's branching.

Time will tell!

Oh, my noid that has the inflo... I found out from the place I got it from, through process of elimination, that it's either Celadine or Miami Rose. DH is hoping Celadine, I'm hoping for Miami Rose.

Now, the 2 branches this post is about, appears to be of a different variety where the lady had taken broken pieces and possibly just stuck them down in the pot. Leaf margins are different. Tomorrow, when it's not pouring the rain, I should take pics and post the differences and the possible branching.

BTW, are there certain varieties that more commonly branch without blooming?

Comments (7)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Moonie.

Hope you don't mind me asking this but is the opposite of your case common as in no branching with an inflo. My 'hearts desire' bloomed but stayed a single tip.

Mike

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

i've seen both cases with some of the noids i bought while in Oahu ABC stores.

• DelWH
    11 years ago

I just started this hobby (addiction?) this year so out of 8 1 gallon plants with inflos I got earlier, 6 aren't branching, 2 are.

Delton

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Moonie,
    For whatever reason your plant started to form an inflo but didn't mature. Sometimes they turn into a weak branch and sometimes it drops off naturally. if it doesnt drop by itself I cut them off. Perhaps your plant is still a bit young for blooms?

Mike I had a fair amount of no branching with inflos this season. Oddly enough a few are now pushing a second inflo of the season and are branching this time.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Mona, I think that's called sealing over. If a non-inflo is present it's called nubbing, so I've been told. So far I've experienced both this season.

J105 sealing over:

And a mystery cutting nubbing to make new branches:

Mike, I have several rooted cuttings that show inflo scars below single branches, and the Moragne #78 I got recently had inflo stems attached just below their new single tips.

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

I thought this would be an interesting contribution to this thread. My Aztec Gold (yah, I know...it needs repotting real bad) has a tip that over the course of the past couple of months has become four tips! At first I thought they were inflos and got a bit ticked when I realized they weren't...but now I understand that my chances of beautiful AG blooms next spring has become much more likely :) If growing plumeria teaches us anything, it's patience and the value of delayed gratification!

At any rate, Moonie, you can definitely put AG on the list of cultivars that do this "nubbing" thing.

Greg

• beachplant
    11 years ago

if they are the ones I mailed you Larry's dog broke the plant and he stuck the branches down in the pot, the other one is still stuck in the pot with the parent plant and leafing out nicely. The parent is sending out new branches everywhere, I never did do anything with it.
    I would bet this one bloomed early this year so it is probably branching. I have one plumeria that has never bloomed yet branches out every year. A friend grew it from a seed & one of these years it may bloom for me.
    Tally Ho!