Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tgia_gw

plumeria please give feed back

TGia
10 years ago

Hello,
I was given a rooted pink plumeria in June. It is a product of "Grow Hawaii". I have been watering it only when it is dry, usually between 1 and 2wks, as listed on the packaging directions to do so. I keep it out on a covered porch with plenty of light.
I live in New England. I think this summer�s humidity has made this planted plumeria happy since it has been blooming since I received it....
I am concerned about rot or fungus, the"dry skin peeling" on the stem since I received it & about 3 weeks ago I noticed a couple of black spots on leaves. Today I noticed that the stem was wrinkled & kind of soft. (White stuff came out when I poked it with a needle, I read to do that to see if it is healthy.)
Please take a look at my photos. I would greatly appreciate feedback on keeping my plumeria healthy.

This post was edited by TGia on Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 19:27

Comments (9)

• TGia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am having trouble posting my photos...

• TGia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• TGia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• TGia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• TGia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

TG,
    Any chance you put into a larger pot? that will help right away and you can straighten it out and stake it. I would use a chop stick as a stake and use a 2 gallon container with cactus soil mix just to keep it simple.

I think its root stress causing the spots and wrinkles and possibly the bark issue. I bought one of those cuttings about 13 years ago. Its very fragrant.

• TGia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi kms2,
    I am so happy to receive your reply! This was my first post, thankyou. Is that your plumeria tree in the photo? Its fantastic! I hope I can grow mine to a compareable size someday...
    I think it needed to be watered, I watered it last night. Today wrinkles were gone & it was firm again. I did indeed take your advice on the bigger pot and cactus soil mix. The roots were starting to grow out the drain holes. While repotting I noticed a couple little cobb webs on the leaves...It looks much happier in its new pot! I will post a photo in the a.m. with natural light.
    Do you think its ok to add orchid bark to the soil?

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

I grew 3 Plumies in pots for about 6 years while living in NY. They grew well but did need large pots. I am not an expert and can share what I did which worked for me.

Mine spent all summer outdoors gradually moved to the sunniest spot possible (on my deck). I say gradual because you will burn the plant if you put it in full sun after spending the winter indoors. So bump up the light gradually.

I was not fussy about soil. I used a mix of Miracle Gro, cactus soil and small wood chips. I also added perlite. The idea is to keep the mix free draining but loamy enough to hold some moisture so you don't have to water every day.

I would move my trees inside when there was danger of frost or the night temps dropped below 50 consistently. If there is just one night or two below 50 they are okay. But when the nights stay cold, bring them in or you can get rot.

Indoors I tried two methods. The first 4 years I forced them into dormancy by removing the leaves and putting them in a crawl space in the basement. I stopped watering and left them until March. I would move them to a sunny window and they would start to leaf out. They stayed indoors until the weather settled above 60's.

The years following this, I moved them inside and grew them under floor lamps. Most were budded and I didn't want to lose the flowers. They grew well under the lights and I got the flowers.

Spider mites are their enemy and appear every winter. No matter what I did I got them. Even when they were leafless, they had webs all over. It sounds like you have them. If your tree is still outside, hit the plant with the hose and wash them off. They will return when you move the tree inside. You can try heavy duty insecticides, but I don't like using those inside the house. I did use an oil spray which seemed to keep them at bay until Spring. Once the trees go outside the spider mites go away.

Good luck,
    Jane

• TGia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Repotted plumeria looks so much better! I have to adjust the chopstick to keep it from leaning. Thanks again kms92!

I am nervous about winter care taking. Thanks for your input Jane!