Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
labland

Inflos and branching... Or lack of branching

labland
11 years ago

I am curious if anyone else has had this same thing? The plants are not branching where the inflos developed this summer! It is more prevelant one two of my plants, but is happening on many more.

Now on two of them (common white and Hawaiian Flag) the inflos developed way before the leaves produced. I understand that being a reason why , although why that happened in itself I don't know. The only reason I can think of was due to weird So. Cal weather, hot early, than cooler, than warmer etc.....

Has anyone else had this happen?

This is showing the Hawaiian Flag... Plenty of inflos and blossoms all season, few leaves, but no branching, every inflo on it is like this one!

Thoughts? No change in fertilizer, etc..

Jennifer aka labland

Comments (9)

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Hi Jennifer,

I just started this this year so I bought several C-Stars plants from Armstrong during that Hawaiian days sale. Of those,

Madeline
    Cancun Dreams
    Savannah
    Lavander Splash
    Yellow
    Playful

all have inflos and are growing leaves without branching.

I also have,

Fullmoon
    Pacific Pearl

both of which have inflos and are branching. I'm in the East San Gabriel Valley so perhaps it is the weather that is causing it.

I think there is a thread on here that mentioned that some plants just do that sometimes so it's not always guaranteed that they will branch after blooming.

Delton

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    11 years ago

My Cancun Dreams had an inflo last year without branching, but *is* branching this year from its inflo ... so, who knows. Maybe some types of plumeria are more likely to bloom without branching than others.

Now that I think about it, my Cindy Schmidt also had an inflo without branching last year, and also put out a super late-season 2nd inflo (in late Dec!), and branched from that one.

• labland
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well that is the thing, these all have always branched before. It wonder if it is the weather. The developing inflos before flowers must be related to the weird early hot weather. It was quiet strange this is a picture of the Hawaiian Flag when the first inflos. You see the tiny leaf? That was what the whole plant was like at first! After the flowers opened, the leaves all great within a week!

Again, this is Hawaiian Flag

By the way, Armstrong's Lavender Splash you will find to be Princess Victoria. Mine the first few years had the nice splash effect, but I haven't seen it this year. In fact mine is going downhill this year, smaller leaves, smaller flowers. I will watch for it next yesr. I had transplanted it from a pot into my planter early in May, hopefully it will spring back next year.

Lavender Splash aka Princess Victoria. It also always branched after/ before the flowers opened up, until this year. These two pix are a 2years ago.

This is a picture from earlier this summer. If you can see, the leaves are smaller and narrower than previous years along with the flowers being smaller. Also, it used to be my first to flower, but flower all summer. Now it seems to be at the end of its flowering, something is wrong!! I think I am going to switch fertilizers. I have to think something is lacking in my soil???

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    11 years ago

Jennifer,

What fertilizers are you using?

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

My Inca Gold didn't branch from any of the 3 inflos that it had this summer either but on the other hand my Penang Peach produced 3 new branches from 1 inflo. Perhaps it has to do with the specific type of tree, sometimes they work on their own terms. :)

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Thanks for that info about the Lavender Splash. Mine look pretty much like yours. Here's a pic I just took minutes ago.
    Mine never had the splash effect, they always looked just like this. Interestingly, it was the last plumie to bloom. All the others are pretty much at the end of their bloom, but this one just started about a couple weeks ago and has a bunch of little buds coming. I just measured and my flower is a hair over 2 inches wide.

• labland
    Original Author
    11 years ago

DelWH,

Mine is actually an Armstrong Lavender Splash, found out about it being Princess Victoria last year and the Spring and Garden show. I remember gong to Bill's place and he said his hadn't shown a splash effect for awhile either. Yiou have to wonder about what causes it originally. Apparently, according to Jim Little, it is still under debate.

Daogirl,

i have been using SNG, Bill's Perfect Fertilizer and Cocowet, along with seaweed extract, worm castings, superthrive. The only other thing I can think of is that I sprayed the plants esrly with insecticidal soap for whiteflies before the leaves or inflos came out? I just wonder. It never happened before, I just wonder also about our early heat in what May? June? Then cooler. It seems to me that usually the branchg starts at the same time as the inflo starts to grow. Hmmmm...

• DelWH
    11 years ago

I Googled Princess Victoria and every picture I found showed the color break except one, which looked like mine. Interestingly, the C-Stars tag with picture looks like mine also. Perhaps they have mutated? The color break is actually a cooler looking flower.

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    11 years ago

It would be interesting to know when the plant starts setting inflos/new branches .. It might be way earlier than anything happening in the late spring/early summer (like, it's already doing it's thing by then, even if we can see it yet). For some reason I remember someone saying that inflos were set at the end of the last growing season -- but don't quote me on that.