Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kachana_gw

Plumeria Newbie - Got my first one today

Kachana
9 years ago

I've been lurking in this forum, just drooling over pictures your plumeria. I finally saw some at a big box store (HD) and bought one today. I'm so excited! Having said that, how long will it take for this beauty bloom? If you can't tell from the picture, it's about 15" tall, with 3 branches. It does not even have a name, so I don't even know what the bloom color will be. Doesn't matter right now...I'm just so excited to have one LOL.

I also ordered some seeds from Ebay. Do you know how old the plant would have to be to flower, if grown from
seed?

And lastly, do I need to repot this?

Thanks for any info you can give,

Kachana

Comments (8)

• barb13_gw
    9 years ago

Welcome Kachana, To the wonderful world of plumerias. Your first plant look very nice but will not bloom this year and it might next year or be one of those ones that will not bloom until ready. Now on seeds, I have had ones that bloom in the third year but most take from anywhere to 4 to 7 years before you get flowers. But then I have got cuttings that take that long. Barb

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Barb is right. Bloom really depends on 1) culture, 2) plumeria variety, 3) establishment of the plant and 4) location where it is growing (I guess that might fall into culture).

That looks like a rooted cutting. My newly-rooted cuttings take from 2 to 4 years to bloom on average. But my growing season is not as long as yours.

You will want to move that into a larger container next Spring.

• Kachana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Barb and Dave for the welcome and helpful responses. I guess I will have to patiently wait for the surprise.

This forum is great, but not so good for my pocketbook :(

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

I have seen them at the San Antonio Home Depots and they are a good growing Rubra grown at a nursery somewhere near the Texas coast.

For your best chance to see blooms next year I would start prepping by applying fertilizer at half the dose twice as often or using a time release like Osmacote. We can fertilize up to the end of Sept/early Oct in Texas. Then after that point no fertilizing until April.

Agree with Dave. Leave it in the current container until the spring. Then go to a 3 gallon container (wide containers are better than tall).

This post was edited by kms2 on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 17:23

• mzperera
    9 years ago

Hi i just recieved my first plumeria yesterday i ordered it on amazon from easy to grow bulbs the leaves are not shinny and are a lighter shade of green one leave was shriveled up i removed it another one had brown spots on it it also now has shriveled up the soil was extreamly wet but the roots appeared to be white and strong it was in a 4 in pot i repotted it with a peatmoss perlite mix on top of about an inch of rock i will try to attach a pic is this normal or did i get a bad plant

• mzperera
    9 years ago

this is a picture of it

• barb13_gw
    9 years ago

First welcome to the board. I don't know where you are and people do different things in different parts of the country. But I use catcus mix for my plants. Also it likes to be outside except in very cold weather (under 40 degrees). It looks like to me that it went in to shock and you might want to change the soil and cut the leaves off and put it outside. I water mine twice a week in the summer (I am in So. California) or every 4 days. I hope this helps. Barb

• Kachana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you kms2 for your advise. I'm sorry for the late reply. I just came back from a vacation. Glad to see my plumeria still doing so well after 12 days of neglect!

Kachana