Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

I did have a wonderful suprise this weekend

honeybunny2 Fox
11 years ago

After my shock of seeing my large plumeria soft and dropping. I went and walked around to see my other plumeria in front of the garage, Makaha Sunn and Maudi Gras were in bloom. Makaha Sunn is just beautiful, its like no other plumeria. Its diffrent shades of dark orange and yellows, its just beautiful. Maudi Gras had hugh blooms ,the outer rim was a dark shade of violet. They both smell like gardenia. Then I have a hugh white whooping crane in my back yard.

When I got home, I went online and ordered a Canon Rebel T-3 with extra lens. It will be here in 7 days. You just have to see what I am seeing, and that is that. My plants that I got from Fl Colors in April, are all starting to put out inflos, Makaha Sunn was one of them, so was Maudi Gras. I have 12 others I ordered at the same time that are putting out inflos. Barbra

Comments (23)

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Can't wait to see those blooms!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Makaha Sunn in our 100 degree plus days, looks nothing like the picture that Bill posted. Its shades of pumpkin, and gold, with shades of raspberry and lemon, its beautiful! I can't wait to show you pictures with my new camera. I am so excited. When I saw that Whooping crane in my back yard, I knew I had to get a camera. Barbra

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Must have been very exciting to see a Whooping Crane that close up. Can't wait to see the pics of the Makaha Sunn.

Delton

• pcput
    11 years ago

Hurry camera, hurry !!! We just love pis don't we. Hope you are a fast study Barbra so you can learn to use it. Peg

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Oh my! Can't wait to see the photos!!

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Glad to hear about the Makaha Sunn in our heat.
    It's on my wanted list and I'm waiting for one to finish rooting in a few weeks.
    Lonnie

• beachplant
    11 years ago

the whoopers have moved south already? Seems a bit early for them. The Sandhill cranes usually show up here around October.

congrats on the blooms. Not many blooming on the island right now.
    Tally HO!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

B,
    Great to hear it. I saw that the coast got some very good rain over the weekend. I can show you how to get the best out of the t3. You will want to buy a Circular Polarizer filter and a UV filter for the lens.

I have used Rebels since Andre Agassi had a tennis racquet, hair, and Brooke Shields. Its a great little camera. I use a 60D now which is an entry level professional Canon SLR.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Barbra - Your description of Makaha Sunn was almost irresistible! Matt had several up for bid on ebay the other night but I did pass. I'm not buying any more cuttings this year... unless they are grafted. There are a couple I want from FC. :)

BTW, does anyone know if Makaha Sunn is the same as Inferno that Tropic Nature offers? You read things.... but you never know unless some of the experts has the answers. :)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Moonie, Makaha Sunn color is beautiful. If my camera comes on Friday, I will be able to take a picture of it, if not I will have to wait until the next inflo. I bought mine from Florida Colors this past spring. It was a single tip plant, and it is already blooming. I have good luck with Carols grafted plants.
    Tally I looked up the diffrence between the 2 cranes, and it was the whopping crane. My husbnad saw it and took me so I could see it. It was strange, eating insects in the ground, I thought they ate fish. It was pure white, no gray. I have never seen one before, it was magical. We live next to the state of Texas property, its a refuge for birds. I probably see more diffrent types of birds, than most. The hummingbirds really like it, there is no traffic, and we have hugh oak trees. The red birds love the sunflowers in the field next door. Barbra

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Barbra,

Sounds like you have a beautiful place to live.. I would love to see the cranes and Hummingbirds too!

I love all of those things in nature. You are so lucky!!

Then to have Makaha Sunn blooming.. Awesome!!

Mona,

Be carefull about the real Makaha Sunn. Bud Guillot named this variety from a tree that he found in Hawaii and named it after a surfer lady who passed from cancer. It is inrememberance of her that this is named. I believe her name was Rell Sunn as was a well known Surfer in Hawaii. She is known as the "Queen of Makaha" She was 47 yrs young when she pased from breast cancer...

It was named by Bud from the beach she loved and her name.
    Makaha Beach.

Thought this migh be interesting..

I have two Makaha Sunn One grafted froM Carol and was from Hetty Fords tree and the other is from Jim Little .

WHen this blooms for me i will be one happy lady.. It is the most meaningful tree that i have along with some from friends from Ca.

Take care,

Please post pictures of this beauty named for a true beauty....

Mahalo,

Laura

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Mona, I bought my MS from Matt and it's finally growing new leaves! So I'm hoping that means it's in the safe zone?? I guess we'll wait and see.

I have not bought from FC yet so I don't know. But sounds like Barbra has a great experience! :)

Laura, why do you have two? LOL

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Moonie, I think Makaha Sunn's akas are Inferno and Sunkist.

• John Perilloux
    11 years ago

beachplant, if that was a whooping crane it's a holdover from last year who didn't make the flight to Wood-Buffalo for some reason. The whoopers in Wood-Buffalo are raising their young now and won't be leaving there heading for Aransas for at least two more months.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nesting Season

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't know, I just saw what I saw. That is why I need a camera. No one believed me that I had a white hummingbird either. Thank goodness Linda took a picture of it with her phone. Barbra

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Lynn,

LOL... That is a good question!!

Probably because i was worried when i lost one from another grafting Makaha Sunn from FC. I wanted to make sure i had one that would still be with me. The one from Matt was not grafted and rooted well for me.

The one that is grafted had a bend in it like a "dog leg right" on a golf course. I have to keep it staked to keep it from bending completely over.

I guess you understand because you have a few Waimeas.. Yes? LOL... I love these trees and i want to see this bloom for me. Not this year though... sigh!!!

Take care,

Laura

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I checked on the internet, and keyed" Whooping crane spotted in Rockport Tx in August", on youtube someone recorded a video of a whooping crane in Rockport Texas on
    8-9-2009. Looks exactly like the bird I saw, it was also by itself. Darn, I wish I would have taken a picture of it with my little camera, but Gary did not tell me ahead of time, what he was going to show me, at least K and Jen could have seen it. Barbra

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

I guess you understand because you have a few Waimeas.. Yes? LOL...

Great comeback, Laura! LOL

Laura - I will keep that in mind about Makaha Sunn. It's rather irritating when you're wondering "are they, or aren't they?"

Lynn - Did you buy your MS rooted or not? Either way, I'm proud that you're doing so well with it! I've been searching high and low for your post on what you bought on your excursion with your DH the other day. I can't find it!

Barbra - I can't wait to see pics! Yes, it's too bad you couldn't get a pic of the crane. I never have a camera ready when I see something that needs photographing! Last winter I saw a bald eagle (just making a good comeback in our area) and it was eating road kill. ROAD KILL?? LOL I guess they don't stick to the menu we think they should eat, huh? :)

• John Perilloux
    11 years ago

Barbra, I'm not doubting that you saw a whooping crane. I was only replying to beachplant's comment that it seems early for the whoopers to arrive at Aransas and pointing out that any whooping cranes in Texas in August were probably holdovers from last season that didn't make the migration back to Wood-Buffalo Park last April. Sometimes injuries prevent them from leaving. Last season's very poor supply of blue crabs due to the drought may have weakened some to the point that they were too weak to migrate. Even wolfberries were in short supply last year, and acorns don't provide much nourishment for a 2,500 mile flight.

I'll be looking forward to pictures from your new camera. Here's one from my Canon D60.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1197932}}

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

LOL @ Laura and Moonie... hey the reason I ended up 3 Waimeas is b/c I was chasing a plant w/ an inflo! Well neither worked out b/c inflo fell off during transit so I just grabbed a larger plant from a local guy. But in case his is not Waimea then I have two backups from Fuzzy. Haha...

Mona, my MS came from Matt rooted. I just get nervous when the plant is bald so when my MS start showing some leaves I'm very happy! You didn't think I managed to root a cutting did you? Not a chance! LOL

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Mona,

I bought

1. My Valentine
    2. Hilo Beauty
    3. Siam Ruby
    4. Kimi Moragne - the only blooming one... will post pics later
    5. Butterfly Gold
    6. JL Golden Pagoda

That's all. :)

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Hey Barb,

most cranes will eat bugs, fish, frogs,pretty much whatever they can catch. We`re on the flyway for 90% of migratory species of birds in N. America so spring can be pretty awesome here. They are more spread out in the return flight in the winter. We always have a ton of indigo buntings come through every yea, they like the backalley and when you startle them its like the air is shimmering.

This summer has been hard on the birds up north, last year birds rerouted because of our drought. There are so many dead trees in Texas now.
    Tally HO!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tally, I feel so sorry for that bird. I cannot locate wolfberries anywhere. They cannot be grown here, since they are 1/2 peat moss and 1/2 cow manure. I did call the San Antonio Zoo, the whooping cranes eat wheat, barley and corn. I called the feed store and they sell all 3 for $.80 a lb. I am going to buy some and take it down this weekend.
    Barbra

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals