Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplummies

ET Lemon Drop

loveplummies
12 years ago

I am trying to find a place online to purchase a Thornton Lemon Drop cutting. Any information or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Miguel

Comments (11)

• dpolson37
    12 years ago

Funny you ask. I was browsing the website for Upland Nursery in California and I think they offer Lemon Drop.

Check them out.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Upland Nursery

• loveplummies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dave,

Thanks for the link, I did not know about this site! What I was looking for thanks!

Miguel

• animalcraker
    12 years ago

Just a note Upland Nursery only sells their cuttings online. They also have an amazing selection of fully rooted trees at their nursery in orange. If you are in the area and have the time I would highly recommend visting their nursery. Almost every one of their trees is in full bloom right now and they have many thai and rare varrieties. They are a bit expensive, but they do have a sale going on right now so you can get a good deal if you look. Their staff is also very friendly & helpful

~Jen

• loveplummies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jen,

Thank you for your reply and information. I am located in the south Tampa Bay area so my only option would be online. After seeing a picture posted by a gentleman named Bill I would really like to find a cutting of that ET Lemon Drop!

I am definitely a newbie at this and I am really looking forward to growing these Plumerias!

Miguel

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    12 years ago

Just a side note about Upland Nursery - when I was there a couple weeks ago, they told me that if I ever wanted a cutting, to call them and that they would have it ready for pick-up the next day.

I think other people have bought cuttings/plants from this place, and it's in Florida:
    http://www.floridacolors.com/thornton%20lemon.htm

I've never bought anything from them, but you might be able to find recommendations from other people here!

• jandey1
    12 years ago

I've never used Upland before but I know for sure that Florida Colors is an excellent place to order. Very healthy plants and wonderful owners.

Jen

• loveplummies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jen,
    Thank you so much for all of the information. I looked at the ET LemonDrop on the Florida Colors website. I will most likely be ordering from them in the near future.

The one they offer is only sold grafted, so being new I now have to look into what this means! Anyway, it is so nice that I found this site and the help that I have received from all has been great.

Thanks, Miguel

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Miguel, grafting will give you a big head start over a cutting. Florida Colors takes cuttings and grafts them onto proven strong root stock from seedlings, much like rose and citrus growers do. It saves them time over rooting and I think the success rate is higher.

A lot of people still prefer rooted or "on own root stock" because grafts from some poor overseas growers aren't well-done or the cutting's growth rate doesn't match the root's. FC grafts should not give you any problems like that; Luc there is an excellent grafter. He's even grafted (and saved) some very shriveled cuttings for me in the past.

Jen in TX

• loveplummies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jen, thanks for that reply and explanation on grafting I had no idea! I am going to order that Lemon Drop from Florida Colors. Thanks for all of your help!

Miguel

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    12 years ago

Jen, that was an excellent explanation on the purpose of grafting.

I have done some grafting with success, but you really need a controlled environment (like a greenhouse or shadehouse) to get consistent results. The new grafts need protection from winds (movement), excess moisture and harsh sun.

The reason I did it was to save a nearly-gone piece of cutting of a Kimo that someone had given me. It was down to about 3 inches after shriveling and rotting. I was able to save it by grafting.

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Dave, you've just given me an idea--thank you! I have a mystery cutting from a collector that is very shriveled and won't root, probably because of our extreme heat, plus an unwanted rooted plant. I may just experiment with the two.

Did you use a rooted cutting as your root stock to graft? Can you please list your steps? Thanks!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022