Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

A cure for my Plumeria addiction!!

No-Clue
11 years ago

We moved during one of the hottest days this summer. But even then I decided I didn't want anyone to touch my babies so the movers were not allowed to go near them. Pretty soon I realized that wasn't going to work so I enlisted DH to help. It took us until 9pm to get all my plumerias out of the yard and up into the 2nd and 3rd floor balconies.

Clearly I did not think this through during my many Plumerias shopping sprees, nor did I give it any thoughts when I potted them in Al's Gritty Mix! It was back breaking work moving them to the apt. The worse part is I will have to do this AGAIN in 4 months!!

After this move I swore up and down that I will NOT buy another plant until after we moved into our permanent home at the end of the year. But I have plants that I picked out at JJ's and the Plant Sale coming up in Sept which I was so looking forward to going. If I go there is no way I will come home empty handed. So unless there is a better way to move my plants than the back of my van which then required many many trips... I am going to have to stopping buying Plumerias cold turkey and not going to the Sept Sale!! :(

Comments (18)

• georgecc
    11 years ago

No-Clue,
    Please feel free to use me as a role model - I stopped buying plumerias cold turkey on Tuesday. Let me be the disciplined one -- wait, what September Sale? Let me know if you need a ride - or if we go in together, maybe we can rent a Mack truck - more space for cargo. Have to go... have to prepare!

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

oh sure I hear you both uh huh yea ok not!! Lynn this addiction cure is only temporary lol youll be back at it in no time.:) You guys need to figure this out. lol there is no cure, there is always another plumie!!! And if you dont believe me some other plumie addicted person will be along after me to tell you the same. lol I know its like Bill says these things are gonna need the room of a vw. well lets see how many vws can ya park in that yard. I am on the east coast and my trees have to come in for the winter, that is the only reason I show any restraint at all :) Just sayin

Jackie

• John Perilloux
    11 years ago

No-Clue, be prepared for a message from Bill telling you you're sick. Lucky you don't have as many as that new fellow in the forum who has so many he can't count 'em. He estimates somewhere between 150 and 200. But you're getting there.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jackie you are not helping! LOL. But I am convinced I am cured. I just have to look up Golden Unicorn, JL Dane, Sheer Beauty and a few others... just to pass the time. ;)

SimiDude, dangerous proposition. Don't tempt me! Or you all local folks are going to have to come help me move my plants! LOL

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What? Someone new with 150-200 plants? Fantastic! Makes me look good.

Yeah Bill knows I'm sick... but maybe if I don't buy anymore I can redeem myself in his eyes.:)

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi No Clue,
    Okay I know this is enabling you but...BJN Exotics in FL sells JL Dane. Not cheap at $90 but when you see how much they go for on Ebay! Sorry, I know your calling me name now..

I too live in a cool climate(western NY zone 6), so I have to haul mine all in and I live a small apartment(thankfully with a nice basement and a spare bedroom), and add to that I have had 2 back surgeries and working up to my 3rd. I have around 90+ plumerias right now...man this is a serious ADDICTION!

Andrew

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

See that would just make me go to the gym more so I could carry more and bigger plants.

• kathyr89
    11 years ago

I learned the hard way how heavy potted plants can become. I potted some this year using better than rocks, it reduces the weight some when potting with gritty mix.
    I don't have any suggestions for curing the addiction, we can just hope it goes into remission for a while.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: better than rocks

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Kathy, that's in interesting material. It's interesting that they admit on the website (Under 'How it Works') that without adequate drainage, the bottom of the container will become waterlogged.

I can see the gritty mix people attacking the effectiveness of this material already! Because essentially by using this material with regular old potting soil, you are in fact just raising the perched water table in the soil even higher!

That said, a thin layer of this stuff would be great to keep the gritty mix from coming out of the drainage holes and it might even let the roots grow thru it if you plunged the pot into the garden soil.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Andrew what is BJN Exotics in FL? I only know of FC! :)

I just need to figure out how to wrap these plants more securely then I can let the movers carry them and I carry the babies. Or I can do what Mike suggested... hit the gym and grow some muscles so I can carry them. LOL

• BubbaTimmy
    11 years ago

Yes moving them really makes you think when it comes time to buy more. I am the above mentioned person with over 150. I have always had to move all of mine into the garage for winter, had to have some buddys come help each year. After outgrowing the garage I have a new solution for this winter. A 30 x 40 greenhouse I will start keeping the bulk of my plants in. YEAH I can buy more now!

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow how big is your yard Bubba? I don't think my entire yard is 30x40 LOL... out here in the West Coast our yard is like 10x12 or something crazy. I guess in a way it's good because it helps keep my addiction somewhat under control.

In my mind I can always weed out the ones I don't love or grew too big so I can make room for new plants. But who knows how attached I will get to them and then I will be like those hoarders you see on TV except mine will be plumerias instead of cats, dogs or birds!

I just now realized with this many plants I can't really take a vacation and leave my babies unattended can I?? Oh-oh... I guess I will have to take a vacation during the winter when they go dormant. Which means I can only go to FL or HI where I can buy more plumerias. Fantastic!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

There is no cure. Just use the plants as exercise equipment, 1 gallon are great hand weights, who needs a gym? Just move plants around every couple of days.

I only have to haul plants in once or twice a year, often not even that much. Most of the plumeria are in the ground so I do nothing to them in winter. Like the vacation ideas!

Don't use gritty mix, heard all the arguments.

I have access to a semi-trailer and a driver, what time do we meet at the Sept sale??
    Tally HO!

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

Lynn
    BNJ exotics is in Tampa Florida they have beautiful plants. I am not sure if the website is open again, they just came back from vacation in Hawaii so they are getting settled back in. Nikki is awesome you will love her!!!

Jackie

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

I got one question. Why you do not dig them up, remove all the soil, wrap them in a plastic sheet, and store them in the basesment like that for the winter? This is what we do in Texas (store them in the garage, we even hand the from the rafters). They are dormant. In the spring you just repot them. This way you leave the heavy pot and soil behind where it is.

tc,
    George

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

sorry for the typo. 'hang them' not 'hand the'
    George

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Hey Lynn! I've been thinking about you the past few days and hoping you were having a nice easy move. Yeah, those darn plumies are just so heavy in the gritty mix but the job is over and done... this time! LOL

Your balconies are perfect for those babies. Yes, in your other thread I did see room for plenty more so go ahead to that Sept. sale and find friends to help with your next move. Where's James and Bill? Are they in hiding? And now you have a new friend down the road.. SimiDude. :)

Think I'll skip over to Texas and catch a ride with Tally. I'm still ready to rip my hair out wanting a big blooming plant!

George - I don't think Lynn is ready to winterize, just moving. She's got gorgeous flowers! :)

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Stop it Mona! Don't temp me! LOL I have been studying the Plant Sale list all day. :)

You know now that I'm a Plumie mom I am noticing the weather for the first time since moving out West. I didn't realized our hottest months are August, Sept and October! Although I'm in the Coastal area I still get some very hot days and as you can see from my other post it doesn't take long for my flowers to turn much more intense. I'm very happy about this! Now I get to see what my flowers look like in warmer weather. I will have to make a mental note during our winter months to see how cold it will get. Worse comes to worse they all go under our covered balcony and patio and or garage. But I doubt that our weather get that cold that often though.