Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonie_57

Very happy with this seller!

moonie_57 (8 NC)
11 years ago

Hi Everyone!

Derrick from A Piece of Paradise is tops today on my list of favorite sellers. He gave me such a great deal on 7 cuttings and on top of that sent 2 extra! All of these cuttings were either 3 or 4 tips. I was amazed and never expected to get such big beefy cuttings from him for such a small price. You guys never let me in on this secret! What's up with that? :)

He has what I refer to as "The Basic" varieties, so if you don't have all "The Basics", or want more of "The Basics", then send him an email and see what kind of deal he can give you.

These are unrooted cuttings. I meant to take a pic with them laid out on the table but being in a hurry, I stuck them in some of the gritty mix for a few days while I get enough water bottles ready to go. On top of that, my shaky hands make for blurry pics and my cellphone doesn't take very good pics either. Sorry that you really can't see their true size with them down in a 5 gallon pot.

{{gwi:1198119}}

Comments (16)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gosh, I did Derrick a disservice to some degree! I said that he has all "The Basics", and he does, but he has many other varieties as well.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

Ditto. I ordered from Derrick last month also and got a free cutting too. Most of the cuttings were very nice and multi-tip. The Kauka Wilder was insanely thick! The prices are very exceptional.

-Dar

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

Here's what I got from A Piece of Paradise.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Wow they all look great!! Thanks for sharing that. Now I have another source to go to if I decided to give cuttings another go. :)

What did you get Mona?

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

You guys are terrible! I totally want to try my hand at rooting cuttings now that I know the easy method of burying the cut ends in mulch until the middle callouses over and starts sprouting roots and to receive such fat cuttings at a reasonable price from this vendor is very tempting. :)

-Robert

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Robert you should give Henry Apple Dupree a try. Mine started blooming this week and it's one of my favorite so far. The fragrance is sweet, clean and so refreshing. Think juicy green apple but sweeter!! I find myself sniffing her every time I am out there. What a special scent. Love!

11 years ago

No-Clue,

You're terrible! Another on my want lists! ;)
    I have a terrible confession to make. I've been sniffing the $80 Scentsational at our local nursery and I don't dig the scent! Starting to wonder why I'm growing one if that's what it's going to smell like.
    There's another $80 one that I want that has a more pleasant scent to my nose.
    Too bad A piece of Paradise doesn't offer Henry Apple Dupree. Still they offer some varieties that I might try. ;)

-Robert

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Do you need to sell your Scentsational to me, Robert? :)

11 years ago

Ha! It is a rather large specimen. Have you smelled one yet or just read about it?

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just read how much it's liked by different posters, Robert. One thing I remember reading was that someone said it smelled like Easter lilies. Well, I deal with several hundred Easter Lilies every spring and I do not like the scent. It's just too strong and sickeningly sweet. but of course that is in a closed in greenhouse.

• plumeriainfo1
    11 years ago

Aloha musaboru,
    can you post a closeup picture of the ends, they seem a bit dried out.

Aloha moonie,
    LOL, I'm feeling a bit intimidated, that was my prices back in 00-05 then oil price dragged everything up.

I think I'll have to start doing free shipping to earn some business, I was holding out on the multi-tips to pot up in big gal+ containers for next spring.

Could you post a pic of the ends of the cuttings.

Much mahalo.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

bad girl!

I wordered some because couldn`t resist the prices. Since I`m headed to LaPorte on Friday I did NOT need to order any! LOL! Plus I found a guy here on the island who has several types I don`t.

You`re going to be so good at cuttings!
    Tally HO!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tally, don't blame me for your lack of self control! LOL

I just love rooting cuttings! I don't know what it is about them other than I love spending hours a day examining plumeria. It must be watching them slowly come around. Maybe I need to start listening to see if I can hear growth! :)

alohaplumeria - I know, it's hard to live up to deals like that but he deserved a nod, so I had to give it to him. :)
    I'll try to get a pic tomorrow. Cuttings are in the GH and it's raining cats and dogs and maybe not bright enough to get a good pic.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If one were to try and find something wrong with the cuttings, I could only say that a couple of them are cut on a slight slant. According to George, and he has supplied pics, angled cut cuttings only root on the tip. I would like to ask Bill or James, or someone else who has rooted tons of cuttings, if they have experienced the same.

Here's a pic with the slightest of slants. Excuse the cell photo.

{{gwi:1198121}}

And another...

{{gwi:1198122}}

• plumeriainfo1
    11 years ago

Aloha Mona,
    Wow, they look nice, I agree with the flat cut, it will root more consistently over angle cut.

Happy growing.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

he says on his site to cut them at an angle.

No control, ordered the lot from Derrick and then from plumeriainfo LOL! Good thing I worked a bunch of overtime last week.

It POURED this morning and we might get more rain. Yeah!!

I used to cut them at an angle because you cut everything else at an angle. Never had any problem with rooting.

Tally HO!