Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave_in_nova

A question about Pink Pansy

I have a 'Pink Pansy' (from Derrick) that I rooted. The leaves on my plant have a distinctive downward-pointing tip, just like Penang Peach.

Since there have been a few authenticity concerns with some of Derrick's stock, mentioned by other folks on the forum, I'd like to know from anyone who has an official Pink Pansy, whether theirs has this same leaf-tip trait. Just hoping that I have the real deal and this might give me more hope.

Comments (18)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

Dave - I'm sorry but my Pink Pansy does not have the hooked tips. It came from Fuzzy.

I won't buy another cutting from Derrick even if it were only a single dollar.

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

I agree with Moonie. See for yourself:
    penang peach:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    J.L.pink pansey:

close up of pink pansey:

Not looking too good, David. Bill

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear of this Dave... I haven't bought one thing from Derrick.

I was close to putting in an order, but then all of this was revealed.

I think I will continue to buy from the same dealers that I have in the past..

This is all so unfortunate..

Sorry, Dave...

Laura

• chuy415
    10 years ago

If I may ask... Who is Derrick?

Chuy

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

For reference, my Pink Pansy from Fuzzy that I got this spring...

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

Chuy,

Derrick is A Piece of Paradise Plumerias & Candle, he has a web site and is also on ebay.

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Thank you Barb. I was very disappointed myself for what I received from him :(

Chuy

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

Chuy, I think that a lot of people were disappointed and will not be ordering from him again. Barb

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    10 years ago

Add me to the list of disappointment too. I don't know about anyone else but when I pay for something I expect and look forward to what I am paying for but instead you get false advertisements. My sally moragne turned out to be a daisy wilcox, guillots sunset that I gave to my sister, god knows what it is -- all I know it wasn't a gs when it bloomed. All I can say is at least my celadine turned out to be true.

What I think he did is, he seen how cuttings are a hot commodity right now and living in Hawaii where plumeria's are everywhere and covenant to him, he thought he'd jump on the "selling plumeria cuttings" bandwagon even though he doesn't really know what the true variety is -- he is just jotting down names and pretending that's what they are to make a buck. :(

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone.

Unfortunately I could not see any of the leaf tips very well in the photos you uploaded. These downward pointing tips can only be seen up real close -- and you can feel them.

But if you know what I'm talking about, then I'll take your word for it.

Well, it will be really interesting to find out what this is! It looks to be quite compact. Maybe it's another Penang Peach, or maybe one of its progeny.

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Dave,

I bought a Pink Pansy from Derrick early this spring too. I knew it's not JL's when I placed the order. It just looks dif to me. I find it to be compact as well. Maybe I'll decide whether it's a keeper or not when it blooms.

He has some nice NOIDs that I bought. I wouldn't take his words on the labels he puts on his plants. I agree that he shouldn't attach a PSA registered name to some look-alike without more thorough research.

Kenny

• Minderella
    10 years ago

I just went out and looked at mine. My Pink Pansy bought from Derrick has straight leaves, and the Penang Peach from Matt has curved at the end leaves.

Mindy

Original Author
    10 years ago

kenny, did you know it was different by looking at the pic on his website? Please post when it blooms. For someone just starting out though, and who doesn't care about named varieties, he has good deals.

Mindy, my alleged Pink Pansy has straight leaves, but the tiny leaf-end 'spines' if you will, are bent down more or less at nearly a 90 degree angle from the plane of the leaf. Not sure if that makes sense. I need to take a photo.

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

Dave. My pink pansey has no curve at the end of the leaves like the penang peach does. Mine is from Jim Little purchased back in the beginning of the last decade. Bill

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Hi Dave,

I knew it wasn't JL Pink Pansy because from Derrick's stock photos, the flowers appear very different than JL's. But the tree looks very compact so I bought the cutting for $5. Here is what it looks like today:

Here's the "hook" end of the leaf that you're talking about

Here is Derrick's mother tree:

I think it'll make a nice tree when it gets bigger. I'm sure some people wouldn't mind owning a nice tree like that one.

Also, JL hasn't registered his Pink Pansy with the PSA so the name Derrick floats around isn't an uncommon duplicity. Take ET's Elizabeth Thornton cultivar and JL's Elizabeth Thornton cultivar for example. In both cases, one cultivar is more well-known by people than the other.

Kenny

Original Author
    10 years ago

Tdog, thanks for confirming.

Kenny, that's exactly what I was talking about. Well, if it's a good bloomer AND compact, I'll hang on to it. Just not sure what I'll call it. Maybe 'Derrick's Pink Pansy'.

Thanks for photos. That's a very tight branching pattern. My cutting from Derrick had five tips. It was amazingly quick to root and was a very beefy cutting.

Yes, I had read that JL's Pink Pansy was not registered. He doesn't seem to put much faith in the registration deal. He still has not registered Waimea. Wonder why.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 9:37

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Dave!!!

I have heard that some people have tried to register with the PSA and the process is still. " pending". I think some have said that even with submitting all of the paper work, it can still take years..

The PSA is all volunteers and I am Sure they are trying to do the best job they can, but it seems that some don't want to take the time anymore. This has been discussed before and it is hard to see people decide to not try...

I'm sure there is a lot of paperwork on both ends to get them registered, but I'm afraid some just don't want to mess with it anymore.

This is why we all need to help the PSA and also keep the names on these trees as accurate as possible. Think down the road a few years from now...

Trees will have the wrong names and it could be a real problem.

I wish I had an answer to help... It is difficult for the PSA as well as those who are trying and have been trying for years to get their blooms registered .

For those who are still waiting... Thank you for your patience!!

For those working at the PSA and are trying your best.. Mahalo!!!

Thought some might want to know...

Laura

Original Author
    10 years ago

Laura,

I would say, if someone has a really good variety they want to 'protect', they might be better off getting a US plant patent for it. I'm sure there's a lot of red tape with that too, and likely it's expensive. But it would provide better protection for infringement.

On the other hand, since the plumeria industry is world-side there might be some difficulty enforcing protections.