Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
list your 3 top favorite YELLOWS

Posted by rox146 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 20:22

So since most places have 1 month left for time to buy rooted plumerias at special meetings etc., thought it would be good if you listed your top three favorites for your area for yellow. I am on the coast in Ventura, Ca. and have probably toooooo many yellows, but 3 top ones blooming right now and have been great smellers and producers are: Mele Pa Bowman, Canary Yellow and of course Thorton's Lemon drop. roxanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: list your 3 top favorite YELLOWS

Apples Dupree, Heidi, Aztec Gold

o

I agree.. Elizabeth Thornton Lemon Drop
Henry Apples Dupree
Bali Hai Gold...

Great idea to list, Roxanne...

Laura

o

pick what you like

o

more

This post was edited by tdogdad on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 0:48

o

Lava flow is one of my favorites

o

Bowing.... Lol!!! ;-)

Lava flow is another..

Laura

o

Bill, do we have to pick?? Love them all. Hope all is well. Gotta stop by soon to visit ;)

Chuy

o

I guess mine would be Henry apples Dupree, Paul Weissich and Molilli gold. Barb

o

Penang Peach - in cooler temps.

o

wow so hard to choose!! Need some of mine to bloom then maybe I can have a favorite!

o

Lol! I'm bowing down with Laura! Wow, tdogdad! Just beautiful!

My personal favorite yellows are Elizabeth Thornton Lemon Drop because I love its color, shape, and scent, Inca Gold for its pure yellow color, and Ca Sunset (its yellow for me) for its delightful smell.

o

Has anyone seen a "Sunny Delight". I recently received, in error, a cutting for this tree. Supposed to be a very large yellow bloom.

o

JJ Thai Peach
JJ Golden Ray
Thortons Lemon Drop

o

Does anyone have a photo/description of scent of Henry Apples Dupree? roxanne

o

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Here is a picture of my Henry Apples Dupree, Roxanne...

This is what Diana has listed in her notes....

Henry "Apples" Dupree large creamy yellow named for the plumeria collector who found it. Big clusters, long lasting yellow and white, sweetly fragrant.
The tree is a prolific bloomer. Henry originally thought was the tree named for Iolani which was a prize tree lost to borers back in the early nineteen eighties. The tree habit balanced, the season long, the inflorescence huge and fragrance sweet rose. 3+” bloom of a light shade of gold. The flowers appear in heavy clusters and have a sweet fragrance with hints of apple. Creamy white petal with bright yellow color toward center, nice texture, large to 4", wide petals and slightly irregular, smell like a good mixed of apple and jasmine. Flowers have a slight green tinge. During WWII, When a submarine departs its berth on the west coast and heads for the war zone the torpedo tubes are empty and all the torpedoes are stored in the Submarine and are armed just before being placed in the tube. On their trip through friendly waters the needed supplies are stored in the empty torpedo tubes. Henry stored several crates of apples in one of the torpedo tubes to be used on the long voyage in his cooking. One day before they entered hostile waters the torpedo mate decided he needed to test the torpedo tube, forgot about Henry’s apples, loaded the tube with a test air charge and fired it. All of Henry’s apples were projected out in front of the submarine with a big bang. As the submarine plowed forward through the hundreds of apples, they were hitting the sides of the submarine and bouncing along its side for the length of the submarine. From that day forward in the USN Henry was known as Apples Dupree. Scent is similar to the green apples which is fresh, yet sweet with a mildly sharp edge.

Have a wonderful night!!!

Laura

o

You absolutely amaze me!!!!!! How do you know all this...it is like a night time story... the best ever! roxanne

o

I am not wowed by the Henry Apples Dupree flower but it has a very strong scent which is quite nice.

o

Here is a picture of my Henry Apples Dupree. Love the story. Barb

o

This is a great thread, Rox! There are so many important, wonderful yellows out there.

Again, I can only talk about those I've grown and had bloom at home. My number one would be Veracruz Lutica if it would only bloom again. It's a thick-petalled, creamy yellow with a beautiful shape and the most delicious scent ever.

Of course, TLD is very hard to beat, and my Gladys O'neal was delightful this year. More prone to bloom than VCL, too!

Celadine has to be on my list for overall wonderfulness.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here