Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rox146

list your 3 top favorite YELLOWS

rox146
9 years ago

So since most places have 1 month left for time to buy rooted plumerias at special meetings etc., thought it would be good if you listed your top three favorites for your area for yellow. I am on the coast in Ventura, Ca. and have probably toooooo many yellows, but 3 top ones blooming right now and have been great smellers and producers are: Mele Pa Bowman, Canary Yellow and of course Thorton's Lemon drop. roxanne

Comments (19)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

Apples Dupree, Heidi, Aztec Gold

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

I agree.. Elizabeth Thornton Lemon Drop
    Henry Apples Dupree
    Bali Hai Gold...

Great idea to list, Roxanne...

Laura

• tdogdad
    9 years ago

pick what you like

• tdogdad
    9 years ago

more

This post was edited by tdogdad on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 0:48

• tdogdad
    9 years ago

Lava flow is one of my favorites

9 years ago

Bowing.... Lol!!! ;-)

Lava flow is another..

Laura

• chuy415
    9 years ago

Bill, do we have to pick?? Love them all. Hope all is well. Gotta stop by soon to visit ;)

Chuy

• barb13_gw
    9 years ago

I guess mine would be Henry apples Dupree, Paul Weissich and Molilli gold. Barb

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Penang Peach - in cooler temps.

• texasplum
    9 years ago

wow so hard to choose!! Need some of mine to bloom then maybe I can have a favorite!

• gidgetsocal
    9 years ago

Lol! I'm bowing down with Laura! Wow, tdogdad! Just beautiful!

My personal favorite yellows are Elizabeth Thornton Lemon Drop because I love its color, shape, and scent, Inca Gold for its pure yellow color, and Ca Sunset (its yellow for me) for its delightful smell.

• kitnor
    9 years ago

Has anyone seen a "Sunny Delight". I recently received, in error, a cutting for this tree. Supposed to be a very large yellow bloom.

• Kimo
    9 years ago

JJ Thai Peach
    JJ Golden Ray
    Thortons Lemon Drop

• rox146
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does anyone have a photo/description of scent of Henry Apples Dupree? roxanne

9 years ago

{{gwi:590306}}

Here is a picture of my Henry Apples Dupree, Roxanne...

This is what Diana has listed in her notes....

Henry "Apples" Dupree large creamy yellow named for the plumeria collector who found it. Big clusters, long lasting yellow and white, sweetly fragrant.
    The tree is a prolific bloomer. Henry originally thought was the tree named for Iolani which was a prize tree lost to borers back in the early nineteen eighties. The tree habit balanced, the season long, the inflorescence huge and fragrance sweet rose. 3+â bloom of a light shade of gold. The flowers appear in heavy clusters and have a sweet fragrance with hints of apple. Creamy white petal with bright yellow color toward center, nice texture, large to 4", wide petals and slightly irregular, smell like a good mixed of apple and jasmine. Flowers have a slight green tinge. During WWII, When a submarine departs its berth on the west coast and heads for the war zone the torpedo tubes are empty and all the torpedoes are stored in the Submarine and are armed just before being placed in the tube. On their trip through friendly waters the needed supplies are stored in the empty torpedo tubes. Henry stored several crates of apples in one of the torpedo tubes to be used on the long voyage in his cooking. One day before they entered hostile waters the torpedo mate decided he needed to test the torpedo tube, forgot about HenryâÂÂs apples, loaded the tube with a test air charge and fired it. All of HenryâÂÂs apples were projected out in front of the submarine with a big bang. As the submarine plowed forward through the hundreds of apples, they were hitting the sides of the submarine and bouncing along its side for the length of the submarine. From that day forward in the USN Henry was known as Apples Dupree. Scent is similar to the green apples which is fresh, yet sweet with a mildly sharp edge.

Have a wonderful night!!!

Laura

• rox146
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You absolutely amaze me!!!!!! How do you know all this...it is like a night time story... the best ever! roxanne

• tdogdad
    9 years ago

I am not wowed by the Henry Apples Dupree flower but it has a very strong scent which is quite nice.

• barb13_gw
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of my Henry Apples Dupree. Love the story. Barb

• jandey1
    9 years ago

This is a great thread, Rox! There are so many important, wonderful yellows out there.

Again, I can only talk about those I've grown and had bloom at home. My number one would be Veracruz Lutica if it would only bloom again. It's a thick-petalled, creamy yellow with a beautiful shape and the most delicious scent ever.

Of course, TLD is very hard to beat, and my Gladys O'neal was delightful this year. More prone to bloom than VCL, too!

Celadine has to be on my list for overall wonderfulness.

Sponsored