Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Lani and Psycho Blooms....

Hello Everyone!!

Just wanted to share the Psycho Blooms and the Lani!!!

The scent on both are wonderful...but the Beauty of the Lani Bloom is quite unbelievable... i wish the pictures could do it justice..its quite beautiful!!!

Jen, Have a great time at the show!!! Ill be wishing that i was there!! LOL...

Have a great day everyone...

Laura in VB

Comments (28)

• kandhi
    12 years ago

Hi Laura, Beautiful pics, how is the scent like? The psycho flowers look very pretty

• pcput
    12 years ago

Love the psycho!!!! Can't wait for mine to get big. Peg

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Hi Laura! Nice blooms you got there!
    Always LOVE the Psycho! And the Lani is beautiful too!
    I've just paid for an online order for a Lani Beauty cutting. Do you know if Lani Beauty is the same as Lani? The picture of the flowers look very similar (love the pink band on the edge of the petals).
    Thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures!

• tdogdad
    12 years ago

Beautiful- and I can smell them too. Lani can get some oranges and yellow combinations that are great. Thanks for the pics.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Kandhi,

Thank you for the kind comments!

The fragrance on the Psycho AKA J L Trumpet is a sweet fragrance and is quite pleasant to even be near the tree. Its that strong of the "sweet" smell!

The Lani (which is now in the favorite catagory) has a floral fragrance. Just the beauty of this flower alone would make it a keeper, but with the floral fragrance, it's a must have!!!

Peg,

The "Psycho" is definately a heavy bl,oomer. I am so pleased to finally see mine bloom. I have been patiently waiting for two years noww and she finally has rewarded me!!! It's worth the wait!!!

Sunseeker,

I checked some of my notes, that a very kind Slavetothefur shared with me. Lani AKA Lani Beauty is one in the same. According to these notes. So it looks like you have the same Plumeria as me!!! You will love it!! I'm still in awe everytime i look at it.

This has been the best year for me as far as inflos and i'm so thrilled. Patience has finallyy paid off!!! WHHHOOO!!

Bill,

Thanks you...You are right, the fragrance is amazing and the oranges on the Lani were there, but seemed to change the next day. They are all so unique and beautiful!!!

Take care everyone,

Laura in VB

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    12 years ago

Lani is a good one. I love the many tones of color on it. Mine has been blooming off and on from an old inflo.

Did you take those shots at night?

• sflgplume
    12 years ago

Gorgeous, Laura, especially Lani! Wow!

Greg

• dpolson37
    12 years ago

Nice blooms Laura! I think next time you should include a photo of you in your headlamp sneaking around your yard at midnight. LOL.

Big Wave Dave

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone!!

Dave,

You have a great eye!!! Yes i was outside taking pics when i came home from work!!!! LOL!!!
    Couldn't help it..i was so excited!!!

Greg,

Thanks!!! I really do love Lani!! She is quite the beauty!!

Dave P, AKA BIG WAVE DAVE!!!

Dont you remember? You sent me a copy of your headlamp?

LOL...You have my number!!! LOL I do go outside late at night when i get home...i have to check on the "little ones!!"

Take care..

Laura in VB

• tweetybaby2005 (KS 6b)
    12 years ago

Laura, stunningly beautiful. Trying to do a cyber sniff and imagining the fragrance here. I bet they will make beautiful leis.

Kuan - green with envy here in KS :)

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Thanks Kuan!!!

I wanted to show the Lani from this morning. This bloom does have the orange that Bill was speaking about. The other blooms seem to be the same color, but the new blooms are more deep and have the orange center.

I also included some other pics of the inflo on one of my Pink Noid. (Dave K) this is the mother tree !!!

This is the pink Noid...

J-105

Take care everyone!!!

Laura in VB

12 years ago

Very nice! The no-ID pink cutting has some leaves that are starting to stretch already.

• animalcraker
    12 years ago

They're all so beautiful, thanks for sharing.

~Jen

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

Hi Laura,
    WOW Lani is really nice! Don't have that one yet...I stress the word "YET"..lMAo!

I knew you would love Psycho. I never knew it was JL Trumpet.

That Pink noid is really nice. that's the 2nd time I have seen pics of it this year. What a beauty! Just goes to show that noids can be just as nice as named plumeria!

I cannot wait for J105. The flowers really are unique aren't they! So did you get hit with all the rain? We lucked out here. In fact 2 of my water barrels are now almost empty.

Take care Laura, and keep those pictures coming!
    Andrew

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Wow I love that close up picture of Lani! I'm so glad I bought it, however I hope it won't take long to get to the flowering stage!
    J105 is always in my top favorites. It's an awesome flower!
    Thanks for the beautiful pictures!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Dave,

You're right about the size of the Pink Noid blooms. They have really spread out, illl have to pick one and show the size compared to my hand. Like your pic of the California Sally. I think its about the same size or sightly smaller. But, she is a beauty!!! This is the mother tree to your cutting!

Thank you, Jen!!!

I am so happy with the Lani and the J-105 as well as all of them LOL !!! They are all so different, but all unique and beautiful!!!!

Andrew,

When i received the Psycho it was named J L Trumpet AKA as Psycho.

The PInk Noid is a real winner. The size of the inflos are the largest that i have ever seen. It reminds me of MY Valentine. But it is a NOid. So it will stay as such!!!

We did get the rain, finally!!! It filled my 2 - 20 gallons rain barrels. That wont take long to empty though!!!

Ill keep the pics coming...ii need to adjust the headlight on the helment!!! ( DAVE P>..LOL) i think thats so funny...i know you all look at night too!

Come on...admit it!!!!

LOL...

Take care everyone...

Laura in VB

12 years ago

'Lani' has a wonderful rose scent! So if you don't get a chance to add 'Vera Cruz Rose' to your collection, just smell 'Lani'.

I didn't realize Psycho was also JL Trumpet either. Is this a registered cultivar? Where did it originate?

dave

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Same here Dave, I didn't realize that either. The shape of the flowers just seem so different between the 2 varieties! I actually like Psycho a lot and don't like JL Trumpet at all!! (from all the pictures I've seen, JL Trumpet flowers has the shape of "shell" types which don't fully open - probably why it was named Trumpet").

12 years ago

I don't think they're the same at all. 'Psycho' opens much wider and has wider petals compared to the photos of JL trumpet I've looked up. Maybe Bill can shed some light?

• tdogdad
    12 years ago

My psycho came from Marylyns gardens over a decade ago and was sold as white with red stripe. One of the guys at the SCPS had one too and first sold it as Gardenia which it is not because I had a Gardenia. Then he sold it as JL Trumpet which I do not believe is the same. I have seen it listed as Gardena which may be because there were several old trees in the L.A. town of Gardena. My wife, Sherry, named ours psycho because it would start flowering a month before any others and still be flowering in February when all the others are totally dormant. She said that goofy psycho white doesn't know it is winter-it has been blooming for ten months. The name stuck. It will always be a bit psycho to me. Bill
    {{gwi:1198656}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

I sure wish that my plants would behave psycho like your Psycho :-)

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to say that when I received my "Psycho" from a wonderful person here on this forum, it was tagged as JL Trumpet AKA Psycho. That is what i have always kept on my tag since it came from the "originial Psycho" tree!! : )

Thank you Bill, for sharing the info....it will always be
    "Psycho" tell Sherry, thanks for starting this great discussion!!! I know my tree is from the mother....LOL

Hello to all out in Costa Mesa...does she have any idea what she has done with naming this tree? LOL...

Take care everyone...

Laura in VB

• wuvbear
    12 years ago

Your Lani is beautiful!!!!

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

I was soooo excited to finally receive my Lani cutting... only to find it wrinkly and with a cut wound at the base of 1 of the 3 tips! This is the first time I ordered from this FL seller. He said he will send a replacement next week. We'll see... Hopefully I'll get a decent one next week.
    I love the white stripe in the middle of the petals, Laura! it's a beautiful flower!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Sunseeker..

Ill [post another pic of my Lani tonight!!!!

Im in the middle of lining up my plants/trees to bring in from the Hurricane....what a chore..looks like trees ready to evacuate!!! LOL!!

Im so glad u received your Lani cutting, sorry it was damaged, hopefully they will stand by what they said and send a replacement. : )

ill post pic in a few...

Laura in VB

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

Hi Laura,
    I never thought I would be saying this but I think I may have to actually start hauling mine in too! Even though I am pretty much on the Lake Erie side of the state, we have felt the effects of hurricanes. High winds TONS of rain, and those occasional wind gusts.

Watching the Weather Channel they were saying that it could hit NYC sometime between Saturday night and Sunday morning. No matter where it hits it's going to cause some serious damage....I wish all of you in the path of this major storm, good luck!

Andrew

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi ANdrew...

Im going to take some pictures of the trees lined up to "Evacuate" into the greenhouse...LOL I have spent the day making sure the larger trees that are on the deck are tied down to the railing...the big ones are going to stay...makes me nervous, but all of the others that are smaller than 2 feet are coming into the greenhouse. The cactus and the NBC's as well as the DR's the larger palms are staying outside. I can always lay them down. But, the others are to small and to precious to leave outside.

With the earthquake yesterday, and the hurricane ready to hit, my nerves are shot!!!! LOL....

At least i can arrange and reallly look at all of the new cuttings and inspect them. I did water them throughly today. so they will have some weight to them. I will probably water them again to keep them heavy...

Im watching the weather channel and its making my hair stand on end....Yikes... I think im going to post a pic of my Lani now...tht will bring a smile to my face to see this beauty!!! Give me a minute and it will be there...

Cheers!!!

Laura in VB

Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is a pic of Lani from this morning...

Laura in VB

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!