Hong Kong:

{{gwi:1198742}}

Heart of Gold from Oz:

{{gwi:1198743}}

Dwarf Singapore Pink:

{{gwi:1198744}}

Goldmine..huge 4" plus flower:

{{gwi:1198745}}

Purple Jack from Thailand..since my plumies are on the coast the temps are cool so the colors not as purple as it was:

{{gwi:1198746}}

Mela Pa Bowman aka Yellow Singapore:

{{gwi:1198747}}

Duke:

{{gwi:1198749}}

{{gwi:1198751}}

Maryilynns gardens Lani:

{{gwi:1198753}}

Barry Ng's Liver Red? from Singapore:

{{gwi:1198755}}

Morange 93:

{{gwi:1198757}}

In the spring I had a ton of inflos and due to the cold winter and weird early summer weather 40 percent of my inflos fell off.

I still am waiting on a ton of inflos that came up in July l hope they bloom before the cold comes..grrrr.

Enjoy

Comments (33)

• joanna427
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OH MY GOSH!!! My mouth was gaping open from about the third picture on! Where do you live? You're like Bill, you could open up your own Plumeria Garden! The Thai varieties, did you buy them here or overseas? I want almost every single one of yours! (I have a couple of the varieties you listed, but could definitely use more!) Bloody Brilliant!!!
    Joanna

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Some of those are absolutely spectacular! Thanks for sharing.
    Karyn

• Kimo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Thanks you guys!!! :)
    I actually have my plumerias in Costal So Cal.
    I think Bills patch is about 40min away.
    Thanks again...

• Kimo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Joanna,
    OOOPS my bad I forgot to answer your question..how rude of me..lol.
    I would say that 65 percent of my Singapore, Thai, Oz and Indian plumerias were imported. I have a permit and have been importing for about 4 yrs now.
    Thanks again!

• mrpearson253
    16 years ago

Holy crap those are some gorgeous blooms! Something we can all aspire to!!! Keep up the good work, and hopefully we'll have shows like that ourselves in the future! Can't wait for your second wave late into September/October (being from sunny SoCal you know it stays warm long into "fall.") *grin*

Much Aloha,
    Mark

• kevphol
    16 years ago

Great pics and amazing collection you have there! Thanks for sharing. I would love to see pics of your trees and landscape if you have any to post!

Kevin

• mystwitch
    16 years ago

Nice blooms there freak.
    kb

• Kimo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again ya'll are too nice. I actually have been thinning out my collection this year. I am at the point that I am only going to keep the best loved of my collection.

Thanks again

• kasiec
    16 years ago

All super duper beautiful...so much better than going to the movies. Thank you for sharing.

Kasie

• Kimo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kasie,
    Thanks...how is your collection doing?
    Its almost fall..grrr

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi freakfor plumeria.
    What area do you live in? I like everyone just thoroughly enjoyed seeing your blooms. Blooms like we don't see. MORE picture please!!! yes of you plants..your garden. Love love to see them. I have never seen a lot of these varieties.
    Karen B.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    16 years ago

Just super photos! My fave is 'Maryilynns gardens Lani'. Is that a registered variety?? It's such a perfect shape - real full and I love strongly overlapping petals and variety of colorations.

The color on your plumerias look really good. Does the higher humidity contribute to that?

• Kimo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Dave,
    No I think UV and heat has more a play for the color. Actually my color is ok this season, but people who live in really hot areas have really saturated colors. If you look at my purple jack it is more on the pink side than the lavender purple gray. I bought a 6foot 39 tip plant of the Purple Jack and it was growing in a hot, hot greenhouse. If you saw the flowers when they were in the greenhouse the color was identical to what u see in pictures from thailand. Once I put the plant in my coastal outdoor semi shady area the colors shifted a little. I get larger flowers but lighter colors than those more inland or in hot areas.
    The humidity helps with size I believe than the color.

Thanks again

• kasiec
    16 years ago

Hi James,

It's really nice to see the "old timer" on this forum teasing us with his International/Domestic plumies. We love it, so keep it coming.

Oh no I don't have a "collection" and can only drool over other people's collection...but that's perfectly okay.

Do you remember back when people say there's no such thing as a purple plumie? How time have changed huh?

Kasie

• lellie
    16 years ago

Oh my Lord!
    Your yard must smell like HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!

I 'specially like the Maryilynns gardens Lani.

I'm jealous, jealous, jealous!

• chrisar
    16 years ago

Beautiful ... I'm envious.

• Kimo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone!!! I hope all your patches are doing well and flowering also.

• tdogdad
    16 years ago

Wow! That is a nice collection and the photos are great. Many of the Thai cuttings are ones I do not have. I am also interested in which city area you are in and how far from the ocean because I am 5 miles inland from Newport(zone 9) and my colors are closer to yours than to Chris Roy who is another 5 miles inland from me. Are you in a hilly region or in the basins. I too am weeding out my collection because they keep getting bigger and the property does not. It still is hard parting with some that have been around for years but these suckers get really big after 5 years not to mention seedlings and cat caused cuttings.
    Bill

• Kimo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Bill,
    I have property I own in Torrance and Gardena in the Southbay.
    I am building a new house so I can not put my collection in yet as I am afraid of damage.
    So for now they are staying in the Southbay. I will try to move them to the new location in Beverly Hills in late Oct or early Nov. I have reduced my collection to about 300 cultivars and my oldest plants are over 20yo.
    Most of my imported varieties are about 4 or 5yrs old so the patch is full house.

There are several sources for Thai plumies in San Diego, but mostly grafted plants. There is a grower in Ocean Side/Vista that has rooted Thai imports including Dane, Purple Jack etc. The Father of the Oceanside distributor lives in Thailand and is one of the major Plumeria Players there and of course his name that is why a lot of plumies are named after him like in Muan Jack and purple Jack.

Thansk again everyoen.

• susan51
    16 years ago

Wow.. Just beautiful... Please show us more :-)
    Susan

• Kimo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Susan,
    A lot of my plumies are finished blooming, but I am waiting for a lot of new inflos to open up on my Ruby Gold, Metallica, Golden Pagoda, etc, etc, lots more.

Thanks

• tdogdad
    16 years ago

Do you have 300 different cultivars or 300 plants. I can see with metallica and golden pagoda you have some heavyweights- those are two I have drooled over but couldn't justify the cash needed to buy. besides I am now at a new policy that if I bring one in two must go. I have about 300 plants but 130 different cultivars with a few I cannot id and about 40 moragne seedlings that have so far given me 3 new flowers and 7 nothing specials. Bill

• Kimo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bill I have 300 different cultivars, I maybe only have 4 duplicates.
    I had over 460 cultivars at one point so I have really cleaned out over the past 2 yrs. I tried the 1 in, 1 out policy and it didnt work well for me..lol
    The last 2 yrs I was just dumping/gifting a lot, people were getting 10 to 20 plus plants at a time.

I pretty much have everything I want, the last thing I really wanted and bought this year was Shear Beauty

The only thing left on my must have list for JL's Tropical Lightning. Other than that I am at saturation point...kind of over the plumies.

Thanks again

• tdogdad
    16 years ago

I don't even want to ask what you paid for that beauty. Spectacular. Jim has so many great seedlings (like Hawaiian Fire) that I almost hate to look at Sandy's site for fear of seeing something new i wish I had. You certainly have the largest non-business collection I have run into- a master addict level pile. If you ever make a master list and rate how you liked the flowers (ie best, great, good, ok, yawn by color grouping I would love get a copy. There is no substitute for seeing a flower over time vs. a photo. I have bought a few yawns from great photos. Thanks for sharing your pictures. Wonder how metalica will be over time- if the flower stays much like it looks in the pictures. Bill

• qatpaw
    16 years ago

WOW!! All those fantastic plumies are here in the South Bay? I live about 4 miles from the beach, just outside of IB. So far my little collection is at only 11 and nothing really exotic. But I'm just getting started! Have plans to start digging up the other plants to make room in my little backyard (condo size) for more plumerias. Anyone want to help chop my neighbor's overgrown ficus down so my yard gets more sun?? Just kidding (sort of). I'd really like his tree to go. It shades half of my yard.
    Anyway...thank you so much for sharing!

• Kimo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Bill,
    I have had Metallica for about 4yrs now, I think I was the first one to buy it from Sandy Little. This is the first time it is actually flowering for me :)
    Julie in Texas has had hers for 2 seasons now I believe and it flowered last year and this year for her.
    Last year it was a little off but beautiful (if you read this Julie..lol), this years pic she posted looked like JL's pics of Metallica.
    Waving at Julie:
    Metallica 2006

Here is Metallica 2007 from Julie:

I have found that in our cooler coastal temps that our purple plumies really dont get as strong of a purple color.
    I have 3 of the purple plumies and arent really thrilled with them Metallica, Violet Queen and Purple Jack.
    I have found Sandy's stuff to be the best and concise usually no mix ups...unlike some other sellers.

Thanks again

• Kimo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

qatpaw 1,

Yes my collection for now is in the So Bay, most of the rare ones are behind locked gates. The other common cultivars are in the common areas of the Apt complex.
    There are actually tons of plumies in Long Bch. Hawaiianbuilt and another plumie person came over to my condo in Long bch and we walked the strand and found tons of large plumies growing in straight sand, it was weird. The plants looked very healthy.
    So if you look around you can find plumies everywhere in the costal areas of So Cal.

• qatpaw
    16 years ago

Growing in sand IS weird. I didn't think you could do that and have good results.
    I'm going to expand my viewing area up the coast. My boyfirend & I drove all over IB checking out the plumerias and seeing which exposure seemed to do the best here so he can decide where in his yard to plant all the new ones he just bought. He's alot closer to the beach than I am and has a choice between front and back yard for planting. I'll be doing some shopping at the SCPS plant sale in Sept. Before then I need to make some space on the sunny side of my yard.

• musarojo
    16 years ago

Freak,

I am impressed! I hope everyone on your gift/dump list realizes how lucky they are.

Philip

• Kimo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

musarojo
    Thank you for your comments and yes the people do.
    Thanks again!

• oorah
    16 years ago

would appreciate it if you would publish what your mix consists of......cactus, perlite...etc....

thanks

• Kimo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oorah,
    I use to mix my own soil but it became too labor intensive.
    Several people in the Plumie society told me that they used Unigro Cactus mix because it had all the pumice and other goodies in the right percentages that my plumies would need.
    I have been using the Unigro for 3 seasons now and love it!!

The only draw backs are that the Unigro Cactus mix comes in 1 1/2 Cu ft. vs 2 or 3cu ft and the 2nd issue is that it usually has a lot of Fungus Gnats in the bag when you open them. I didnt find as many Gnats this year but previously it had been bad.
    Some people also told me that the Unigro was too expensive, but when I costed out how much I spent to mix my own formula for soil it was actually cheaper and it is ready right out of the bag. I think I bought about 63 bags of the Unigro to report a portion of my collection.

Hope this answered your question...

• tdogdad
    16 years ago

I also use Unigro but I mix it with pumice and perlite. I have never had any fungus gnats but some yellow mushrooms. I agree that it is an excellent blend and is what I recommend to people to use right from the bag as is. I also found that the cheaper Home Depot cactus mix is too moist and far inferior to the Unigro. Who do you buy from? I get mine from a local nursery called Flowerdale but they are a bit pricey. Bill

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz