Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

Oh Happy Day, when the Raspberry Sundae comes

honeybunny2 Fox
11 years ago

My Raspberry Sundae is in the mail, I should get it next week, I am very excited. That is one plant I really wanted. Barbara sold me a 3 tip plant for what I was going to pay for a cutting. I can hardly wait until it comes. Her plants have such great root systems. I bought two from her Pengang Peach and Bill Moragne, and both had great roots. She told me that I did not have to pay her until I received the plant. She is a trusting person, and I like that. Per Nancy Willis Barbara was Emerson Willis mentor when he first started. Barbra

Comments (35)

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Cool! I received two cuttings last week.
    Who is Barbara?
    Lonnie

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

When I went to the PSA sale in Rosenberg Tx, she is one of the 17 sellers that were selling plumeria. I bought two plants from her a pengang peach and bill moragne. When I got them home, and took them out of their pots, they had great root systems. I mailed the Bill Moragne to Andrew, and he was thrilled with the plant he recived. I had ordered other plants and their roots were nothing like the ones I got from her. I dont' know if its the soil she uses, or what, but she has great plants. I would love to go visit her, she lives in Friendswood Tx. even that sounds like a nice place. Barbra

• pcput
    11 years ago

Yeaaaa Barbra, Isn't that a great feeling ! It's like christmas morning and so hard to wait :) Peg

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Woohoo! Glad to hear you found a good one, Barbra. I got Heirloom from her, of course, and it was also well-established. Now I know where to get RS if I HAVE to have it, hehe.

I don't think Barbara sells stuff immediately after rooting; she must give these things several months of growing time first. Honestly, she doesn't look old enough to have mentored Emerson, if it's the same lady I'm thinking of.

Lonnie, who did you find cuttings from?

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

So happy for your Barbra. I know how badly you wanted Raspberry Sundae. I just wish I could find it. I am on a waiting list for a rooted one but I was all ready told that they will go up for auction so I am assuming that they will be pretty expensive.

Andrew

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Sweeeet! I know it has been long time in coming... So a big congrats! I can't wait to see he. Make sure you send me a picture! :). I am so excited for you.!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone, I am really excited that I found a rooted plant.
    Jen, Barbara told me that her and Nancy are best friends, and use to work with Tx. Oil Companies. Nancy is the one that told me that Barbara was Emersons mentor when he started to grow plumeria. I think that is how it got started. He just fell in love with the plant, and the rest is history. It would not suprise me one day to see K doing the same thing, and Emerson will be his mentor. Barbra

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Hi Barbra! I'm so happy for you! You're excitement is totally understandable because I was wanting a Raspberry Sundae super bad, too! Got my rooted cutting a few weeks ago and look every single day for an inflo. For some odd reason there's no signs of one yet. LOL

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Jandey,

Got my cuttings fron Michelle Ashley (Plumeia Patch) in Florida. I have gotten several plumies from her.
    I can send you her email. She has some really good prices.
    I meet her on the MPG forum. She doesn't have a website.
    Lonnie

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well its here! I got it today, its a beauty. I can't believe all her plants are so thick. Of all the plants I have bought she definitely has the best. I asked her what she uses to grow her plants in to get such hugh healty roots? She told me over the past 29 years she has tried everything, but nothing works as well as 100% regular miracle grow potting soil. She said it is expensive, but her plants are worth it. Barbra

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Yeah Barbra!!! I'm soo excited for you! Now I wanna see I wanna see! LOL

Ok I will have to investigate this Miracle growing potting soil. But is it only for rooting cuttings or for established plants as well? Thanks Barb!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

She told me her rooted plants, I wish I would have asked about rooting cuttings. Barbra

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I don't think she uses the "moisture control" type of miracle grow potting soil and as Honey pointed out this was for rooted plants. It would appear that the Staffords also used a simple potting soil for the two plants I bought from them at the PSA sale last month.

I believe there is some precedence when you have at least two very experienced growers doing it. I would say that in my conditions its nearly impossible to over water to the point of causing damage. in fact I believe its the opposite. An example: I had 3 summer long blooming inflos on my penang peach droop down and have now fallen off because it was too dry.

The only other comment I would offer is the winter season and how she stores her plants would be important as that's the only point where I would be concerned about too much moisture in the soil.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

I agree, there must be more than just the soil she's using! Especially if they are experienced then they sure know what to do. Just like chefs for sample (I'm friends with a few of those) and they would come over and created something delicious in MY kitchen. Whenever I asked I always get "A little Olive oil, a little, salt, a little this and a little of that." Yeah ok...

I guess I will just have to learn by making my mistakes until I get a cutting to root. Next spring I'm going to buy tons of cuttings to try. ;)

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Hey Barb, send me her e-mail, Friendswood is just a few miles up the road, much closer than LaPorte. I can run up there next week. :)

Friendswood was settled by Quakers. It is a "bedroom" community of Houston. Lies just beyond Dickinson (formerly The Village of Dickinson) but before Clear Lake. I think it's about a 17 mile drive for me up there.
    Tally HO!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

It might well be the moisture control, it's very popular here, I use it all the time. I add some things to it for the cactus, straight for the plumeria and houseplants.

I do not know a single grower in my area that doesn't use good potting soil. Don't know about Emerson, I'll let you know next Friday when I go on a shopping spree whee!
    Larry, Barbara, Becky, Paula, me, the old guy down the street, the landscaper in Katy-200 species! be still my beating heart, all use Miracle grow. Jim from Jimbos uses a commercial mix for everything he grows, he specializes in bromeliads. It is just like miracle gro but a big truck brings it to the nursery.
    Tally HO!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tally, that is how Emerson gets his soil, he uses a commerical mix that is delivered by truck load to his house. Well, I have to tell you, I went to the coast this weekend on Thursday, when I saw my plumeria that I had planted in the ground I almost died. I did not unpack anything and just started watering, I really thought I lost two of them. The next day, I removed hundreds of yellow leaves from my plants. I was just sick,. I went and bought 10 hugh bags of miracle grow;, removed my plumeria mix, and replanted all my inground plants with MG. The plants in the pots thank goodness were in K's mixture and did not suffer too much. It was just the plants that I planted directly into the ground, the 4 ft and taller plants. I watered everything, and the next day the stems were no longer soft, so I think they will be ok. I can't wait until we get cooler weather, we had 100 degree plus everyday last week, and the plants just did not get enought water from the sprinkler system. I decided that I am done for the year, I am just going to try and keep what I have alive. Barbra

• beachplant
    11 years ago

OUCH! We had rain on the weekend and today it was pleasant outside in the am, cloudy right now.

He probably uses the commercial mix, seems really popular with a lot of local nurseries and growers.

Found a guy on the island who has several plumeria I don`t including bubble gum. Friday I am going by to see him, then to LaPorte to see Larry and take him cuttings of a white standing morning glory and pick up a few more plumeria before he moves, hopefully Mardi Gras is blooming so I can get some pics and then if I am not totally destitue to Emersons. I need a bigger car..... or more money!
    How do I get ahold of Barbara? I would love to go see her collection.
    Tally ho!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tally I am unable to send you an email: call me at 210 275 0656, so I can give you her phone number. I have all 18 sellers names and phone numbers,11 in area code 281, 6 in area code 713, and one in area code 409. Barbara only had a few plants compaired to the rest of the sellers. Emmerson plants are 25% less when he sells from his home. He had the most plants. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tally I am unable to send you an email: call me at 210 275 0656, so I can give you her phone number. I have all 18 sellers names and phone numbers,11 in area code 281, 6 in area code 713, and one in area code 409. Barbara only had a few plants compaired to the rest of the sellers. Barbra

• beachplant
    11 years ago

11 in 281??? 6 in 713? I am in so much trouble! 713 is Houston, 281 surrounding areas-League City, Katy, etc.

beachplant@excite.com is my home e-mail. I`ll call you this week.
    Tally HO!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tally you have mail! Barbra

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Barabra,

Can you send their names and contact to me too?
    I have Emersons already.
    Thank you,
    printmaster@usapathway.com.

Thank you,
    Lonnie

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lonnie, you have mail. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tally, when you go see Barbara ask her what she uses to root her cuttings, and see how she stores her plants for the winter. I wish I would have asked. You will feel like you have known her for years, she's so nice. Barbra

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Thanks for the mail! I will ask her. I know Emerson stores his in a big garage/barn. Paula forces hers dormant in Nov and stores them in her garage. Becky pulls hers into a greenhouse. Becky uses root tone and miracle gro to root cuttings, Larry uses root tone & "good potting soil" for his cuttings-or he just sticks them down in a pot with another plant.

Tally HO!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

never made it to the guy in Galveston or Emersons! Larry is not wanting to move all of his plants and sold me some great huge plants super, super cheap. I got most of them planted in the backyad this weekend.
    Tally Ho!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Please tell us what you got, Tally! LOL

• beachplant
    11 years ago

an 8` noid with these HUGE pink flowers for $40, another noid, some rainbow, 6`, multiple tips $20-there are 3 others in the same pot, another 6` with about 15 tips Wave rage for $30-it had 2 rooted cuttings of same and a noid seedling in the pot, Lee langetti (?) $10 about 3` with 4 cuttings rooted in the same pot-found tags on them and they are the same plant, 12++ seedlings, a couple more lost tag plants...I spent $200 and came home with, heck, I need to go count them! I had the Jimmy stuffed,still dont know how I got that 8` one in there. and take pics, I took pics of the ones I planted. Oh, and the cuttings came from Aloha plumeria, 10 of them $60/free shipping, I`ll put those in tomorrow. I will also get in pics tomorrow, most of them have been downloaded to photo bucket.

If that wasn`t enough I stopped at Lowes and for $16.98 bought a pot of pudica,4 big healthy plants in each pot, I bought several to plant around the yard since the chickens don`t eat them. Home depot had a variegated crinum, it is a cream not white like the ones I have, so I bought 2 pots of those, multiples in the pot. I love crinums even more than plumeria. good thing the freezer is full of food!!
    Tally Ho!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tally would you like a giant red leaf crinum? I have a nice size one I can give you? Are you coming to the San Antonio Plant Swap Oct 13th? I can take it for you. Barbra

• beachplant
    11 years ago

If we make it up I would love it. I have a couple of them around the yard, they are all blooming like crazy right now. Always room for one more crinum.

Tally HO!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

what side of town is the plant swap at? I`m going to look at hotels today.
    Tally HO!

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Thank you Barbra.
    Lonnie

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tally you can stay with me, but you will have to sleep on the fold out couch. If you want to stay in a hotel, we are on the NW side of town, close to USAA Ins Company, Medical Center, and Fiesta Texas. There are a ton of places to stay on I-10. They have really cheap rates, since there are so many of them. I have checked for folks that come down from Gardening in Texas forum. I do have 3 small dogs, so if you stay with me they may climb into bed with you and cuddle, be warned. Barbra

• beachplant
    11 years ago

I think we`ll get a room and make a mini-vacation of it. Since we aren`t going on vacation this year, we can play tourist in SA.
    Tally Ho!