Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
just given a cutting as gift and need advice please

Posted by joshuac1v8 6b-Lower Mid TN (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 21:20

I just recieved 3 plumeria cuttings appr 12 to 14 inches long. They were given as a gift from my sister who just got back from Hawaii. Ive been reading up on getting them rooted and im already a big user of Al's gritty mix, which is what I'll prob use to pot them.
My main concern is im not sure if i should try potting them up now or possible keeping them through winter because of where I live (only about 2 1\2 months of hot weather left). They also have a wax coating at the base and im not sure if i should cut this off when time to plant or just leave it on??
Like i said im a complete newbie to plumeria's and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: just given a cutting as gift and need advice please

Peel off the wax coating and determine whether or not they are callused. If it is well callused, then go ahead and pot it up. You can use this forum's search function to find the answers to almost any question you would have. A good place to start would be about callusing. Then, you're going to be soooo hooked! :)

PS, for most cuttings, it would be too long a period to try and hold them over until spring for planting.

o
RE: just given a cutting as gift and need advice please

thanks for the advice moonie, ive taken on the wax and not sure about what the callous should look like so going to do a lil research.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here