Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rox146

spotty trouble

rox146
10 years ago

If any of you can help...only one of my JJ plants has this.....on every leaf...what to do????

Comments (10)

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

Looks like rust to me. I would just cut off those leaves and see what happens.

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

all the leaves have it and it has 2 inflos .. roxanne

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

I would leave the 2 inflos and still cut off the leaves. I seem to get it on a few leaves and I just cut it and the rest of the plant is fine. I heard that it happens a lot in CA and I really don't like spraying them and just taking the leaves off has alway worked for me. Did it start on one leave or did it just start on all of the leaves at one time? You might want to keep it away from your other plants. I know that it is hard to tell with a picture but the leaves look a little pale. Are you overwatering that one? I might also check the roots, sometimes if you have a new plant to you someone else did not take good care of it and may have overwatered it. Good luck, Barb
    p.s. I am sorry that I seem to go on and on. Go with what you feel.

• Quaching
    10 years ago

I'm pretty sure that is rust. They make a spray that helps a lot. I'll look through my garage today and see if I can find the rust spray that I have used in the past, it worked well. Cutting off the leaves will help but I would still spray the rest of the leaves because rust will spread very quickly to all of the leaves on your plant.

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It came to all the leaves at once..I will quarantine it and spray/cut leaves....Mucho Mahalo, roxanne

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

I'm not sure that is rust but it's very common. It seems to start late in the season and is usually associated with rainy, wet conditions. Someone called them sugar spots.but I have no clue what that is or if that is correct. To me, rust is the orange powdery stuff on the back of the leaves that is inevitable in FL. It almost always occurs late in the season and during the rainy season. We almost never see it from spring up until about mid to late July.

I have noticed the same spots you have on your leaves, on leaves of many others . I have seen a lot lately when people post photos of their new blooms on other forums and facebook. It is annoying and unsightly but it never seems to affect the tree or blooms in any way. I cut off the leaves early in the season but September, October it's a losing battle and I just leave them since most of the leaves will be dropping soon anyway.

If we get a lot of rain in June I have seen it crop up then and you can spray. Most people use Bayer 3 in 1 or Fertilome. The Fertilome is better for the orange rust but I think the Bayer works better on those purplish spots on the top of the leaves. Spray first so they absorb the systemic. Wait a couple of days then cut off the affected leaves. Sterilize shears as you move one tree too the other.

http://www.fertilome.com/product.aspx?pid=6e4872f0-a6b8-4aa8-8b9e-7f156e08c064

• astrl
    10 years ago

A few of mine occasionally get those, too, and it is not rust. (I get rust, too, so I know what that looks like. :) ) It is just one of several issues that some of mine experience that I have not figured out.

astrl

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

these came soon to the Lowes out of JJ greenhouse and into my sunny/hot deck... maybe the abrupt change? roxanne

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

so, I cut off all the leaves that looked like this.....and sprayed the rest and put far away from the other plumerias. Already looks better. Mahalo for all your help....roxanne

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Roxanne, same thing happened to my JJ Mona Lisa. Thank you all for the advice,