Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plumerias in northern CA

Posted by springpaintings none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 2, 11 at 22:36

Anyone has any luck growing plumerias in northern CA? I just love these flowers and want to grow them in my yard without having to bring them in for the winter. I'm new to growing plumerias. So far I have 2 plants that I bought since March of this year from southern CA. Then yesterday, my luckiest day ever! I went to Home Depot (not expecting to find anything since they usually just stock the same plants). I couldn't believe my eyes, I ran to get a shopping cart and scooped up 3 of the 7 plumerias there. I know you must be thinking why didn't I get all 7 of them? I then went to another Home Depot and got 3 more. I went crazy =D coundn't help myself. This is the first year I see plumerias for sale in northern CA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plumerias in northern CA

It all comes down to freezing temperatures. If you get freezing temperatures then you have to protect your plants. they are like water pipes. If you freeze them they burst. Check your local statistics for your lowest temperatures between December and March. Bill

o

Thanks Bill. By the way, do you how long does it take for these cuttings to flower? I read online that it may take 3 seasons (3 years?). I hope I can keep these alive for 3 years til they flower. Thanks

o

Northern California is a BIG region....

There's no way they'll survive up here in the Sierra Nevada foothills.
The only way we grow them is by starting indoors under lights, then moving them
outside until about October, and then finishing the bloom under lights indoors.
And then the pests....

Josh

o

• Posted by labland Inland Valley CA9 (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 5, 11 at 20:04

Your question about the flowering times... It depends on what variety and many other factors. I have cuttings I bought this year with inflos (blossoms). Only time will tell. However, cuttings will produce inflos much faster than seedlings, those can take up to 7 years depending on the variety!

Good luck. I think if you really like plumerias, and you are up to the work involved in colder weather, it can definitely be done. Some people use greenhouses if you don't have room in your house. Once they go dormant, you can store them in the garage, protected from the cold. Look at some of the people on this website, for imistance Minnesota? If they cado it, you too can do it... If you want to go to the trouble. Good luck, and welcome!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here