Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrpearson253

No Blooms on My Plumeria :(

mrpearson253
17 years ago

I've had my plumeria several months (boy I'm not even a NOVICE on this forum...I've only got ONE plant!!!). I got it in spring and watered it diligently. It's still in its pot and gets great drainage so its never sitting in mucky soil. Great leaves, but no blooms. It claims to be a variety called "Heaven," anyone have pictures of that so I know what they will eventually look like?

I've tried the Bloom Buster type stuff from Home Depot (high phosphorus, I believe) to increase blooming, but it seems to have little effect. This has been a very warm summer for us here in Southern California...could that have anything to do with it?

Sorry for all the questions...total newbie, I know! Thanks for any information you can provide!!!

Comments (36)

• plumeriastix
    17 years ago

Hi,

I am a newbie here as well and I think I have learned a very important thing here. It's called patience and careful how you water especially if it's not rooted! Unfortunately I don't think anyone will be able to tell you when it's going to bloom, but I got a big surprise the other day. After not looking at about 12 of my plants for 3 days I went out and "surprise" new inflo (the thing the flowers come out of) on one of my plants. Maybe yours will do the same thing as I am also in So. Cal.
    Someone will come along soon I'm sure to give you much better info! Welcome to "here" everyone is super nice!

Happy growing,
    Jerri : )

• new_mexico_shane
    17 years ago

mrpearson253:

Welcome to the forum. I am a newbie as well (4 cuttings only - just starting to try and root them). So I can't help with your question, but as Jerri noted in her resonse, I have gotten some very good help from the more experienced growers in the group. Hang in there and good luck!

Shane

• kbauman
    17 years ago

Hi Mrpearson,
    How old is your plant? cutting or does it have leaves? They say a plant with leaves, can put out a bloom this year, I am waiting too. Watch your feeding, only every couple weeks, and as was told by Bill, water in the morning and then feed at night, so you don't burn the roots.
    What is the name, do you know?
    Karen B

• kevabear
    17 years ago

I have had no flowers on my plummies this year at all, except for the one dwarf I have that bloomed this year for the first time in at least six years. I've notice a lot of others plummies in the area that haven't had blooms this year either tho, so I'm not too concerned, mostly just dissappointed. Leaves are all looking good tho. Altho I would sure love some blooms.
    Lauri

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    17 years ago

...you should be celebrating!

• mrpearson253
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sweet!!! Thanks!!! *does happy dance* Now I can go buy more plumeria now that I know I'm doing it right!!! :)

• dweav
    17 years ago

mrpearson253, That a fien looking plant. she if fixing to bust wide open for you. Nomally if you get a plant with a fork and tow branches and it a rooted plant you should get blooms that year unless it late in the growning season for you area. I have gotten cutting that size in the middle of the summer and not see a bloom till the next. Some thing it take a while to get root that suport the plant.

Don

• john_luvs_frangipani
    17 years ago

That is one fine looking plant, and fixing to put on a nice show for you. Congrats!

John

• mrpearson253
    Original Author
    17 years ago

With all due respect to you folks that grow from cuttings and seeds, this was an already-well established plant when I bought it. Just a bit of water and a little care and that's what I've gotten. That's why I asked about making cuttings...I want to feel the satisfaction (frustration?) of growing it myself. :)

• kbauman
    17 years ago

Hi MrPearson,
    Don't think you should do any cutting yet its a new plant, enjoy your blooms and the plant. But others may disagree, I 'm not sure.
    Do you know what it is? what name. I have a lipstick that is growing like crazy from HD..anxious to see if it blooms, is too a 2 branch one, says red, we will see. HD and Lowes can be another plant, but fun to find out what color the flowers may be.
    Karen B.

• plumeriastix
    17 years ago

Hi Mr.Pearson,

I just stopped in to BEG you not to cut your beauiful plant! You see, alot of us newbies have "stick" gardens growing right now and its plants like yours that are keeping us going until we actually have something that even remotely resembles a plant! All kidding aside, she is beautiful. Will you please post pics after she starts blooming?

Best wishes,

• kevabear
    17 years ago

Welcome to the Plumaholics club Mark. That is a very nice plant you have there. I read there that you would like the satisfaction of starting one yourself, either from seed or from a cutting. Well, maybe time to let yourself expand, like the rest of us plumaholics. You could either check ebay, there are always lots of cutting and seeds (the seeds sell for fairly cheap) or around here I have heard that at the fleamarkets people sell cuttings for pretty cheap, cheaper than one can buy on the internet. And about you walking the dog and spotting plummies...Now whenever I am driving or riding through a neighborhood all I am doing is scoping for plummies! I could almost tell ya every house that has them in our neighborhood.

Welcome to the club!
    Lauri

• john_luvs_frangipani
    17 years ago

I can relate to Mark and Lauri above. I now catch myself scoping out the neighboorhood for growing plumerias. Man, I got it bad... I saw a tree in one neighboors yard yesterday that I had never noticed. How I didn't I don't know as it is probably 15 feet tall and just as wide. Almost wanted to jump their fence and go smell the blooms. I should soon have some seeds from a very generous member here soon to give me my plumie fix for a few days :-) Also won an e-bay auction for a "samoan red" cutting. Hopefully those will hold me for a little while. Take care.

John

• villagegarden
    17 years ago

Hi Mark, Congratulations. It is a lovely plummie, with multiple branches. I am so happy to see that yours has inflos. But I am now sad because I had mine one stick plummie (yellow) for over two years and have not seen any flowers. Just leaves. My first and only survived plummie that I took very good care off over the past 2 years. I am feeling very gloomy now. Our HD and Lowes do not have plummies in this area (NJ-PA-DE border). It must be wonderful to be able to just walk into HD and buy a plummie. Anyway, I guess I must go home and fertilize more. Hope I won't kill the plant... or may be I should get a second one and see if it will bloom...

• mrpearson253
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well I think I got lucky at the HD's around here...they were pretty sparse and I did have to call around to see who had some left, especially at the end of the summer. I will check the flea markets and such to see if they have any cuttings or seeds. Even the lady at the HD counter recommended me going to the Pomona Fair...said they had great deals! :)

I'm sure your plumeria will bloom...I read earlier about someone waiting something like six years for it to bloom! Now he has much more patience than I do, but I don't think yours will take that long. What is the climate like where you are? I'm here in the southern California area (very desert-ish...Cypress!). And as for what I've seen on here, the advice is always the same...anything that takes you one step closer to your own plumeria forest is always good advice! :)

• kbauman
    17 years ago

Hi,
    Some plants may take 6 years, but think that is rare. They say that most bloom the first year, think depends on the size and plant, if not second year. Its best I think to buy one all ready in bloom, I have 3 now..Its all ready got a start. One of my plants Pacific Pearl white with some yellow in the center has been slowly opening in bloom since June, am delighted and is now growing 2 canes, my only one doing that. The others I have to be patient, don't have a lot. ha am trying.

Walk..ha I walk my neighborhood, my "plumeria walk" every couple days. Several have them, neighbors on both side too. I drive down the street looking left and right..yep for plumeria, hA. Until Feb. I had never heard of Plumeria..yes...am a plumeholic!!! My HD near me doesn't have any plumies now, did buy one there, never get to Lowes. One nursery I went too still has them, good ones, but really small plants.

Suppose to be really hot today in the valley about 103 105 , am moving some of my canned plants in the shade..am watering a bunch if it hits. Plumeria heaven, never seen that one, but hope too!!! hope yours blooms
    Karen B.

• new_mexico_shane
    17 years ago

Mark:
    Congratulations! Your plant does look nice, and the blooms should be beautiful. I am just hoping my little cuttings will get there some day! Like some of the others in the Forum, I am living in a northern state where it is unheard of to wander into a Lowes or HD and find plumeria. Do you mind if I ask what kind of prices they are asking for a 5-gallon potted plant? I am new to growing plumeria, and was wondering how HD might compare to trying to buy off the internet. I will probably be in AZ, CA or FL at some point soon, and could maybe buy something then. Thanks for any info. Hope I am not breaching etiquette by asking prices!

Shane

• tdogdad
    17 years ago

Seedlings are what can take so long to flower. Cuttings usually flower the first or second year with a slim few waiting three years. Often those who do not fertilize, do no see flowers since the plants need P to push flowers. The pictures need to be reduced to about 450 to 500 so they are easy to see. Those flowers are going to bloom any day and many more are coming. Enjoy. Bill

• new_mexico_shane
    17 years ago

Mark:

Thanks. It is appealing to get something rooted and already growing, and to be able to drive it home rather than trust that it will ship through the mail in one piece. So the HD/Lowes route does not sound all that bad, just a bit more expensive as you noted.

Thanks for the info.

Shane

• mrpearson253
    Original Author
    17 years ago

How do I downsize already posted pictures? Or is it too late? :(

• plumeriastix
    17 years ago

Hey everybody,

got a little homework done and a small snooze too! Mr. Pearson there is a Plumie sale coming up Sept. 9 & 10 in San Diego at Balboa Park. It is the Society Members sale and it's open to the public. Gonna make a post about it in a minute see if we can't get some of us together there!

I think the lure of a cutting would be to much for me and I would be sneaking cuttings in the middle of the night from all those yards! Ha, ha just kidding. I am so jealous, you guys make it sound like they grow like weeds where you live!

Go and google "joshua trees". They are cool but that's what we look at all day around here!

Gonna go post another one now!

• kbauman
    17 years ago

Hi John,
    You said I think, trying to find your message there are no plants at HD and Lowes..probably too late to get them. Do you have a green arrow or green thumb near you, have plumies for several months.
    or I have three plants from the internet. A good one is http://www.mauigardens.com
    is a good one. I don't buy from ebay, but many have. I also have 3 plants from florida colors..have had their problems but are now growing. Both are internet purchases. To get a plant from either of them is still good, do buy rooted plants, may or may not bloom is a way to get plants... get the recommended ones that do well in your area..where do you live?: I have asked on here what are good plants to buy..Many show or give the plants that have done well for them, have bought some... Your area, someone can recommend if you want to increase your collection.

I do go for a walk, smell plumies..dooo want to step into my neighbors yard, and "borrow" a flower to put in water..haven't but am tempted..ha
    Karen B.

• john_luvs_frangipani
    17 years ago

Hi Karen,
    Not sure if you were talking to me, but I did find one at the Home Depot by my son's house. Started new post. I live in Fort Pierce, Florida. About 50 miles north of West Plam Beach, right on the coast.

Mr Pearson..to late to down size those pics, but check the link below. It's a free graphics viewer that is awesome. I've been using it for quite a while now. Very easy to use.
    Hope that helps ya out.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: free graphics viewer

• succulent
    16 years ago

Hello. I live in Riverside. Its been really hot. My Plumeria has several big green vibrant leaves, but no flowers... Last year this time, it had lots........ don't know.

• tdogdad
    16 years ago

I was just in the Armstrong Nursery off the 55 in Costa Mesa (at Victoria) and they had a managers special of 1 gallon rooted plants for $9.99@. They were mostly yellows with a few pinks. Bill

• mrpearson253
    Original Author
    16 years ago

There's another Armstrong nursery in Huntington Beach (off Beach or Goldenwest, I can't remember) that I think has a bunch as well.

Aloha,
    Mark

• plantnut_2008
    15 years ago

I don't have blooms on my plumeria this year either. I have a large pink one about 6' tall that has been in the ground for at least 4 years. It has always bloomed. It was a cutting, if you can call it that, an entire branch in bloom when I plunged it into the ground. I also have a yellow one and a white one that were the same kind of "cuttings" and in bloom at the time I planted them last year. I think they all got hit by a light freeze/frost this past winter. They were slow to leaf out this spring, but for the past two-three months have been in full leaf. Still no sign of a bud or a bloom. I'm in North Pinellas on the gulf coast.

• butterflies44
    15 years ago

I lived in florida 22 years and started a plumeria from "stick" form. It was beautiful and bloomed the second year, all of the plumerias I have, bloomed the second year from "stick'. When we move the NC I took my plumeria with me and it grew beautifully for 3 years. It was the talk of the neighborhood every summer. Plumerias have a dormant season here in the north and after the leaves fell off in the fall I put in into the garage to winter it. I would bring it out in the spring when it was still cool out (60 degrees and above). One time I left it out in the evening and it got just alittle frost on it....it did not recover...I was so sad. They definately do not like even a nip of frost. Hard lesson. I was heart broken. I have 5 plumerias now and all are beautiful and blooming. Plumerias are "feeders" they like fertilizer. I fertilize them 2x's a week...with VERY weak fertilizer. Hope this helps. I think consistant light feeding might do the trick. Good Luck.

• plumeria_bryan
    15 years ago

I have a cutting that I brought home from Hawaii three years ago, It started at 12" cutting. The main trunk has not grown at all. However the branchs grow about 10"-12" a year for the past three years. The new growth area is double the size in diameter compared to where the main trunk and the "y" where it branches. The main trunk is about 14" high and the branchs are about 30" long from the "y". I am concerened that the new growth could make the branches brake at the "y". Plus I have not gotten it to bloom yet. It is in a 5 gallon container at present. Any suggestions??? thsi is my first plumeria and not sure what type it is.

• rolfast
    12 years ago

I had my plumeria for years now. I can't remember where I got it but I did not buy it. It was just a stick which I stuck in the ground here in Los Angeles.It was planted in the front lawn with grass around it. Since I planted, it barely have flowers.
    The trunk is about 5 inches in diameter, lots of branches and about 8 ft. tall. Is it watering or does it need pruning since my neighbor at this moment has lots of flowers though I noticed that his is as tall as mine but few branches. Mine and his gets a lot of sunshine. Could anyone help me understand the needs of this plant. Mine is white with yellow inside but does not smell as it should be.

• labland
    12 years ago

rolfast! You sure picked up on an old post (2008!)! Keep in mind that just because you have a plumeria, it may not have the scent you want! There are many many many varieties, and many many scents, some have no scent at all! The scents vary totally, some smell like roses, some plumerias (to me the classic is Singapore White for plumeria scent, ( my personal opinion). Citrus scent, even coconut scent! If you are thinking it should be a specific scent, you are remembering smelling a specific variety.

• vikrantsingh
    12 years ago

Hi, I was just wondering if you can use normal garden soil in a pot for a frangipani

• nancyred83
    12 years ago

vikrantisigh - I would not use just straight garden soil for any container plant. Plants in containers need a soil that not only retains moisture but also has good drainage so the roots do not sit in water and there is adequate air.

You can amend your garden soil so it is appropriate for container use. However, you need to determine first if your soil has a lot of clay or a lot of sand. Clay retains water and nutrients well, but it does not drain well. So the roots will suffocate. Sandy soil has excellent drainage but does not retain any nutrients.

I would recommend amending your soil with perlite or vermiculite (or expanded shale if you live in the south) to improve drainage. Also add some coconut fiber (coir) and compost to improve aeration and nutrient retention.

Hope this is helpful!
    Nancy

• vikrantsingh
    12 years ago

Thanks a lot Nancy
    i was just wondeering does anyone know if you have to dry frangipani seeds or they will dry naturally

• pharoah
    12 years ago

vikrantsingh....What do you mean dry??? They don't need to dry before planting and seeds should ALWAYS be kept moist during germination so I don't follow you.

Tony