Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newgen_gw

Can you ID these?

newgen
10 years ago

Saw these beautiful flowers last week in La Isla Mujeres (Cancun, Mexico area). Thanks,

Comments (7)

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

I saw that no one has responded to your post yet so I thought I would jump in. I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear but, I think the main reason why no one is helping you is that it is almost 100% impossible to figure out exactly what variety these are just based on these photos.

If you check out Plumygirl's post on her I.D. question, you will read how Bill, qua Tdogdad explains how even if a flower resembles a named variety, it still may not be that variety. It could easily be a seedling of a named variety. This is why when we collectors get new varieties, we tend to only get them from nurseries, or PSA sales because we know that the seller is reputable.

Did you get cuttings of these varieties? If you did, that's great! If you want to label them, you could label them as Cancun White, or Can un Pink...etc. That way you at least know where they came from, AND you will know there color. If you were to ever sell them or trade them, you would just have to let the buyer know that they are noids.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I just wanted you to have some sort of answer!

Andrew

• newgen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Andrew, I appreciate your response. Certainly gave me more insight to understanding plumeria growing.

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

Your welcome. Hopefully more people will try and help you. Your username looks so familiar to me. Do you go to any other G.W. forums?

Andrew

• newgen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also grow quite a few tropicals, so I'm there as well as in Container growing forums. I'm also over at tropicalfruitforum.com

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Newgen!!!

Nice to see you here as well...

I didn't see this post, I apologize .. Been busy around my house the
    Last few days!!!

Andrew is correct... It is so difficult to ID trees unless you know the true source of the named cultivar. Many often ask to ID a tree and then if someone says the wrong name and the person gives or sells the cuttings, the true identify of the tree is lost.

Some even try and use the parent name on seedlings, which should be called seedling of " XXXX ". The only way to carry the true name is from a cutting from the named tree.

I'm sorry others didn't chime in for you, but it is often discussed about trying to ID a tree. I wouldn't try and have been asked quite a few times. But, I can't and won't.. We don't have all of the ingredients to the recipe to properly name the masterpiece !!!

The trees in Cancun are beauties.. If you did have any cuttings .... I would label them as you wish to remember them..

Hope this helps..

Nice to see you here !!

Take care,

Laura

• newgen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Andrew and Laura,
    No I didn't getting any cuttings from those trees. Owners weren't around, I was just driving around in a golf cart, stopping by to take photos, and tried to take in the fragrance. Besides, I didn't want to have to deal with taking plant cuttings back to the states, especially when I don't know much about USDA import requirements.
    Thanks,

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Newgen,

Send me an email...

Laura