Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjhuntingtonbeach

I have a new favorite - Pretty Princess

mjhuntingtonbeach
10 years ago

I bought this on Ebay 4 or 5 years ago, I loved the colors in the picture. It grew for several years, but in the pot and spot I had it, or maybe it was the soil mix, I never got any flowers, black tip killed off many branches, but finally a few flowers were eeked out at the end of last season on a plant relegated to a semi-shaded part of the patio crammed between other plants, nothing spectacular, small, faded colors, sort of vaguely like the pictures but nothing spectacular.

Well I planted it out in the yard this spring, it was slow to take off, took a while to recover from years of neglect, and this past couple of weeks started to have a few blooms, and this past day a full info of gorgeous flowers. Very intense colors and there are several inflos near opening so hopefully there will be a good show late in season and a better show next year.

First, a picture of last year's first flowers in late October:

Comments (26)

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now, some pictures from this week.

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And another

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and one more.... others to follow as the inflos open up more.

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Stunning!!! Reminds me of starfish!! Lol

Chuy

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

When I first started to replace the noid plumeria I lost in the freeze, I read that if you only own one plumeria, it needs to be Pretty Princess. I have not been able to find one, until this summer at the PSA sale. I have to wait until Oct when it cools down, before I see any blooms. It had 3 thick tips, but was not rooted very well, so I do not know if it will bloom this year. Barbra

• nativec
    10 years ago

Okay I must confess that I like the first bloom pic too but the second is spectacular!! Wow! I see you have all kinds of hidden gems just waiting to be shared.

And...well this is one more to add to the wishlist..ugh :)

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Heck it's my favorite too after seeing your photos! LOL.

What a beautiful beautiful bloom! Adding to my list as well.

• AllanRandall
    10 years ago

I agree, I may have a new favorite as well. What an amazing bloom.

• rox146
    10 years ago

Want one...what is the scent? roxanne

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Mike,
    Loving the colors and veining, she is a stunner and living up 2 her name. Coloring and veining wise she reminds me a bit of Sundance.
    Thanks for sharing and the show.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Yes, she's a stunner! I remember her well from the PSA sale a couple years ago, the colors really pop in our heat.

This is a terrible photo, but you get the idea:

Super impressive to edge out your Typhoon! Thanks, MJ!

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Roxanne,

On scent, sadly my sniffer can't detect anything other than perhaps a very mild scent. So this is definitely one to buy for beauty, not smell.

• plumygirl
    10 years ago

What a beauty!

• Pharaoh4
    10 years ago

Wow! I feel for this one after seeing the pics several years ago. I ordered one and when it bloomed it was Mermaid Gem... it was pretty, but NOT WHAT I PAID FOR.

You are lucky!! I have heard the flowers are quite large...is that a fact??

Tony

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Tony, yeah, the flowers can get pretty large, see the size in comparison to my hand. I don't have HUGE hands but they aren't tiny.

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another, taken tonight.

• pcput
    10 years ago

Who cares about smell when your that pretty!
    Nice Job!
    Peg

• houstontexas123
    10 years ago

wow, those are giant blooms

• elucas101
    10 years ago

WOW! BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the veining, so pretty!

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well here we are, almost a month later and my Pretty Princess is still blooming, now on 4 different inflos and a couple more to come that I suspect I won't see bloom due to winter being almost upon us. The colors that burst out during the mid September heat wave are more subdued but I can see that next year I should get quite a good show from this tree now that it has had a year to settle into the ground where I planted it.

Here are some pictures I took today.

The first inflo:

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The first inflo later today with more sun

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another inflo, the one that gave me the flowers in the pictures I posted last month:

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A third inflo, just sending out its first bloom or two:

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And the last of 4 inflos that I think will bloom for me this year, three or four more starting that will have to wait until next year.

• nativec
    9 years ago

Hello Mike,

Hope you're getting all geared up for the season.

After searching for Pretty Princess thanks to your photos from last season, ahem... I was able to score one! So stoked! Just wanted you to know that you are partially responsible for me adding "just one more". LOL

Oh, how is Typhoon? Any signs of inflos? :)

Take care,

Nicole

• barb13_gw
    9 years ago

Very pretty. Love the color. Sometimes it takes a while for them to bloom but lt is well worth it. Thanks for sharing. Barb

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer