Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have a new favorite - Pretty Princess

Posted by mjhuntingtonbeach 10b (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 0:17

I bought this on Ebay 4 or 5 years ago, I loved the colors in the picture. It grew for several years, but in the pot and spot I had it, or maybe it was the soil mix, I never got any flowers, black tip killed off many branches, but finally a few flowers were eeked out at the end of last season on a plant relegated to a semi-shaded part of the patio crammed between other plants, nothing spectacular, small, faded colors, sort of vaguely like the pictures but nothing spectacular.

Well I planted it out in the yard this spring, it was slow to take off, took a while to recover from years of neglect, and this past couple of weeks started to have a few blooms, and this past day a full info of gorgeous flowers. Very intense colors and there are several inflos near opening so hopefully there will be a good show late in season and a better show next year.

First, a picture of last year's first flowers in late October:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have a new favorite - Pretty Princess

Now, some pictures from this week.

o

And another

o

and one more.... others to follow as the inflos open up more.

o

Stunning!!! Reminds me of starfish!! Lol

Chuy

o

When I first started to replace the noid plumeria I lost in the freeze, I read that if you only own one plumeria, it needs to be Pretty Princess. I have not been able to find one, until this summer at the PSA sale. I have to wait until Oct when it cools down, before I see any blooms. It had 3 thick tips, but was not rooted very well, so I do not know if it will bloom this year. Barbra

o

Okay I must confess that I like the first bloom pic too but the second is spectacular!! Wow! I see you have all kinds of hidden gems just waiting to be shared.

And...well this is one more to add to the wishlist..ugh :)

o

• Posted by No-Clue So Cal Zone 10 (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 13:19

Heck it's my favorite too after seeing your photos! LOL.

What a beautiful beautiful bloom! Adding to my list as well.

o

I agree, I may have a new favorite as well. What an amazing bloom.

o

Want one...what is the scent? roxanne

o

Mike,
Loving the colors and veining, she is a stunner and living up 2 her name. Coloring and veining wise she reminds me a bit of Sundance.
Thanks for sharing and the show.

o

Yes, she's a stunner! I remember her well from the PSA sale a couple years ago, the colors really pop in our heat.

This is a terrible photo, but you get the idea:
Pretty Princess

Super impressive to edge out your Typhoon! Thanks, MJ!

o

Roxanne,

On scent, sadly my sniffer can't detect anything other than perhaps a very mild scent. So this is definitely one to buy for beauty, not smell.

o

What a beauty!

o

Wow! I feel for this one after seeing the pics several years ago. I ordered one and when it bloomed it was Mermaid Gem... it was pretty, but NOT WHAT I PAID FOR.

You are lucky!! I have heard the flowers are quite large...is that a fact??

Tony

o

Hey Tony, yeah, the flowers can get pretty large, see the size in comparison to my hand. I don't have HUGE hands but they aren't tiny.

o

Another, taken tonight.

o

Who cares about smell when your that pretty!
Nice Job!
Peg

o

wow, those are giant blooms

o

WOW! BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the veining, so pretty!

o

Well here we are, almost a month later and my Pretty Princess is still blooming, now on 4 different inflos and a couple more to come that I suspect I won't see bloom due to winter being almost upon us. The colors that burst out during the mid September heat wave are more subdued but I can see that next year I should get quite a good show from this tree now that it has had a year to settle into the ground where I planted it.

Here are some pictures I took today.

The first inflo:

o

The first inflo later today with more sun

o

Another inflo, the one that gave me the flowers in the pictures I posted last month:

o

A third inflo, just sending out its first bloom or two:

o

And the last of 4 inflos that I think will bloom for me this year, three or four more starting that will have to wait until next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here