Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tdogdad

Lani for Laura

tdogdad
12 years ago

Lani went off with eight inflos and it looks so lovely, this one is for you Laura:

{{gwi:1202170}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments (44)

• dpolson37
    12 years ago

Hi Bill, that might be for Laura, but I'm glad we all get to enjoy it. Stunning display of beauty. I love the almost round pedals. Thanks for sharing. Dave

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    12 years ago

Wow! THAT'S what I'm talking 'bout.

~another dave

• labland
    12 years ago

Bill,

What a beauty!

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Even the petioles and peduncles are a great color--thanks for posting, Bill!

• loveterriers
    12 years ago

Hi I am new for here and secretly learning about Plumerias from here, thanks everyone.

Can't be secret this time, I have to say "SO PRETTY"!!!

I've been looking for LANI after saw the picture, but I can't find it....do you know where I can get it?

I want...

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I do not see any available now. Try in the early spring.

• loveterriers
    12 years ago

Thank You for checking, I will.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Bill.... I am speechless!!! WOW!!!!

Thank you so much for posting this beautiful Plumeria!

I cant tell you how much i have enjoyed this tree!

Eight inflos? Unbelievable...

I bet your yard is heaven right now...

Thank you for posting this wonderful Picture for me and for others to see...

Always enjoy seeing your blooms!!!

I cant believe how lovely "Lani" is...she is one that will stop you in your tracks!!!

Mahalo Bill...

Take care everyone,

Laura in VB

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

Hey Bill and Laura,
    both of you are making me think of adding this to my collection....MAYBE!! I've all ready be warned about getting anymore. My grand total now is well over 60+! Last year at this time I had less than 20. By this past spring...around 40.

This particular plant hobby needs to come with a warning label!!! I had an email from the GW's Florida Plumeria forum and I had to laugh. It was a pic of a bumper sticker and it said "Got Plumeria?" LOL!! That had me rolling!

Andrew

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Beautiful Lani!
    Eight inflos? What did you feed her :-)
    How are the branches on your plant? I have a Lani cutting, and it is quite small as compared to most cuttings I've been used to. I wasn't sure if it is just the plant's characteristic or not.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Are the blooms large, what does it smell like? I will put that on my wish list also. Barbra,

12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

That picture is just gorgeous!!

Bill...Thanks again!!!

Honeybunny,

I went outside to smell my Lani for you and it isnt as fragrant as it was before when the inflo was huge. I still only have a few blooms left on mine. As far as the fragrance, Hopefully Bill will give you his opinion on that! To me it is a sweet fragrance. I cant describe it any better right now. If I had those huge inflos like Bill and all you had to do was to walk by the tree, then i could tell you!! LOL...

Hope this helps. My blooms were around 2 1/2 inches wide.
    Today they are much smaller since we have had a week of cooler weather and rain for the last 4-5 days.

Jen (TX) i wish that i could send some down to you. We are having trouble here with to much rain.. Mosquitoes are everywhere and attack you as soon as you walk out the door.

Things are to wet. I hope we have some warmer days ahead and we really need the sun to shine here again!!!

Take care everyone!!!

Laura in VB

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Laura- when my silk floss tree is in bloom, I have a very weak sense of smell so I cannot help on scents. Lani and Makaha Sunn have a faint sweet smell to me but again, my nose is not working well. Sorry.
    {{gwi:1202172}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• pcput
    12 years ago

I'm glad you posted this one for Laura because it's a beauty. The color is great and such a big inflo. Love it Bill.

Andrew - Glad you like my "Got Plumeria" sticker. Just show how far the addiction goes. How's it up in concord country? Peg

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

Hey Peg,
    That was you with the bumper sticker??? That was GREAT!!! The concords I would say are at there peak right now. I couldn't resist picking a few on my walk the other day. Anywhere there's concords right now you can just smell them EVERYWHERE!! Such a sweet smell but it's also bittersweet because it also means that the cold weather is on its way. I don't have any plumeria blooming anymore:( I am hoping to remedy this by keeping a dozen or so growing thruout the long, cold MISERABLE winter.

Spyn, Jackie, JJ Orange, Psycho, Scentsational, some of the AWESOME noids I bought from Sonia will be grown all winter long. Just enough to try and get some good blooms but not too many where I have to keep spider mites off of 67+ plumerias!

Take care,
    Andrew

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    12 years ago

Lani smells like a rose to me.

~dave

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    12 years ago

Anyone else convinced Andrew lived in a lower latitude in a previous life?

• jandey1
    12 years ago

K, LMAO! Yes, Andrew is clearly a former Caribbean native. Thanks for the great laugh!

Where is everyone getting their Lanis, anyway? I don't think I've ever seen it for sale online.

12 years ago

Hello Everone,

LMAO....Andrew, they have your number my friend...LOL!!!!

Yes , ANsrew was a Plumeira trader in another life going after all of the ones that he doesnt have, He will do just about anything to get a new tree!!! LOL...only kidding tho...

I thought that i had a problem...LOL I only have to let someone else know how many others gave to make myself feel better,,,remember, cuttings dont count and i say new rooted cuttings that dont have leaves 8 inches long dont count either,,,

Im with you ANdrew.... i have stopped conting...some here at my house will have a cow if he finds out how many i really do have...LMAO...oh well! Her we go again...next for me.... JJOrange.... Oh boy...!!!!!!

See ya!!!

Laura in VB

• Ament
    12 years ago

67+ plumeria? Holy wow! lol where do you have the space?? My husband would have a fit! Haha!

I love the Got Plumeria bumper sticker though. :) That's so fun!

Man, I thought brugmansias & hoyas were a bad habit for me... Plumies are going to kill me! DH & DD are not going to like it... He deploys in April! Hah! Unadulterated habit splurging times ahead... *g*

~Tina

12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Tina,

LOL..that is why i have to watch for the Fex Ex truck and try and intercept him/her from ringing the doorbell!!!

LMAO!!!

Just wait,

You will be addicted in no time, you probably are already and dont even know it yet!!

I have quite a few...like i said, i stopped counting!!!

I have to be unique in the way i take them in for the winter and let them settle in the back room for their dormat cycle. Depending where you live, we all have our ways to keep them happy all winter long until they start to wake up and see them become active with the great beauty of summer...

The hardest part is to try and forget them and only water them sparingly during this period.

Have fun with the addition..we all love the company!!!

Take care,

Laura in VB

• Ament
    12 years ago

I'm already a sinking ship Laura, two shoe boxes of seeds, 6 hoya, 7 brugs coming in the mail from one person, not sure how many brugs coming from another. Plus two brugs here at home. various other house plants, a veggie garden... Ugh! LOL I am sunk! DH bought a husqvarna tiller for me this fall though, so life will be a -little- easier! *g*

I am very happy about the coming brugs, but not about the coming winter! Winter here in South Dakota can be brutal! Brrr! So I'm hoping all my beauties can make it through with me. :)

Thank you so much for the encouragement

Bright Blessings All!
    ~Tina

12 years ago

Hello EVeryone,

You are more than welcome, Tina!!!

This winter will be fun for you looking at all of the others trees that may end up on your "wish list" LOL!

They have a way of getting to the house after thinking of them for a few months, weeks... : )

Enjoy all of your new trees, seedlings...

I love Brugs too!

Sorry for the delay for your Dane...hope he realizes he has a "stay.." LOL...poor thing... : )

Take care,

Laura in VB

• Ament
    12 years ago

Oh I already went surfing the web for a 'wish' list LoL hubby will return from his deployment in Afghanistan with more plumies and brugs around and he'll wonder where they came from. LoL

Poor Ami's 'stay' is over... he's racked out and sore. I feel so bad for him. He's got hip dysplasia in his right hip. Not happy with the breeder we bought him from.

Looking forward to seeing more of everyone elses lovelies though and hopefully being able to root cuttings of my own. :)

Cheers!
    ~Tina

12 years ago

Hello Tina,

Hope the fellow is doing alright.. : )

Thank you for you and your husband's service to our country... I know how difficult it can be. My son in law serves as well. (82nd Airborne) getting ready for this third tour sometime soon.

I am a very proud "MOM" and i commend you for you sacrifices as well...

Thank YOU!!!

I hope to see more pics as well..

I cant help but look at the Lani pics.. They are just beautiful and i love to see this link!!! Great pics!!!

Take care,

Laura in VB

12 years ago

Jen,

Trees here are still trying to bloom, ill take pics as soon as they open!!!

Take care,

Laura in VB

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Hi Laura,

Guess what? We got RAIN! Over 3-1/2 inches this weekend, the only significant rain event in over a year here! All the plumies' leaves look like they're standing at attention at last. Amazing how much better the whole garden looks after just a day! Now we just need about 20 more inches to catch up for the year.

Here are your Texas Star Hibiscus seeds at work:

Yes, that's a salad container they're growing in. I find those work the best. Can you tell that I overplanted?

Here is a tiny plumie seedling, the only one I kept from my first seedpod, fighting for air among the towering hibiscus:

A week ago I got a lovely surprise in my night blooming cereus, a young cutting, opening up and staying open for the morning:

Can't believe the cutting bloomed so young; I had to wait years for the mother to bloom:

And I'm posting this again just because it makes me happy:

Take care everyone!
    Jen

• isobea
    12 years ago

Hi Jen, What is the name of this lovely glowing flower?
    I love the contrast between the flowers you put together. It really showcases the red-orange - very nice display!
    Glad you guys finally got some rain after all this time.
    Have a great week,
    Iso

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Hi Jen,I'm very glad to hear that TX got rain finally! That should make a lot plumies (and other plants) happy! There is something about rain water...We got 2 days of rain here last week, now its back to sunny and hot.
    That red-orange flower is to die for! I haven't seen any orange like that one. You're so lucky to have it!

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Iso, that is a NOID red seedling I got from a friend. I'm hoping it gets big enough to share one day. It's quite spectacular in person. Those just happen to be the only two culitvars I had blooming at the same time.

Sun, the rain was perfect, long and steady but not flash-flood inducing. The ground finally got enough to soak in. We're still going to be back up into the 90's again this week, but at least the ground is in better shape. I cut some more of my black and blue sage to root as the last few succumbed to the heat, so I hope they grow for you!

Jen

12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Thanks Bill for the Lani again!!!

LOL...we have hijacked this thread for a few...OT things!!!
    But, Im sure you wont mind if we have a little time with a few other beautiful blooms!!!

Jen,

Gorgeous NBC!! Love the container too! The Noids are spectacular as well!

The Texas Star looks wonderful and you will have many to plant elsewhere...just wait until they mature and have the "look" of something that grows"south of the Border..." LOL!! Everyone that sees my Texas Star thinks that im growing something that is illegal...LMAO!!
    Then once they see the red blooms, they relax a bit!!

Glad to hear you had some relief in TX !! You all need some more and definately deserve that liquid gold!!!

Maybe it was the rain dance that we all did for you!! : )

We can all do it again...just let us know and we will all participate in a group dance for you!! LOL!!!

I bet that NBC smelled wonderful...i had one like that long ago and i loved it. I have started up a new collection of them and i have had only one type bloom for me.

The colors of your Noids are stunning...really beautiful!!
    I love the orange red as well as the different yellow with white edges. reminds me of Lemon Mer Pie!

Take care,

Laura in VB

• Ament
    12 years ago

My bad for the OT stuff! LOL

I'll send you an Email Laura :)

That orange plumie is spectacular! Jen, Place me on a list for that one! I just -love- orange! Glad you got some rain, know you guys down in Texas really needed it. :)

~Tina

12 years ago

Hello EVeryone,

Tina,

Silly! No its not !! We tend to move in different waves here!!!! LOL!!!

Its all good!!

Love to see all different things and blooms!!!

Jen, you have a beauty with that Noid!!!

Thanks for the email, Tina!!! : )

Everytime i see a person in uniform traveling in the airports, i askk if they are on their way home. Most say "yes maam.." and i always give them hug and thank them for their service...its the least i/we can do.

I am a softie when it comes to our military...
    Love them all...

Ok..back on topic....

LOVE THAT LANI!!! Cant seem to get enough of those beautiful blooms!!!

Mine has stopped blooming now and i only have a Thai Super Round blooming as well as a Lemon Drop, Guillots Sunset.

I want summer to stay...

Take care,

Laura in VB

• Ament
    12 years ago

My plumie has decided it's far too cold to continue to bloom. LoL Which is quite true, it is getting colder here in the north. Brr!

So I'll just have to oogle everyone elses lovelies and just recall the scent of my own. Even though I know these don't smell the same! :)

~Tina

11 years ago

Had to bump this beauty!!!

Andrew... Here is to your new cuttings!!! Congratuasltions!!! May they be as beautiful as Bill's Lani!!!

Laura

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Glad you did, Laura. I'd forgotten what a spectacular display Bill had posted. If I knew where he lived I could do a drive-by drooling when I'm in California next!

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi Laura,
    Thank you. I would be happy if they looked like Bill's or like your's! Your's were very nice too!

Jen,
    Drive by drooling...LMAO! I would be the same way. Don't worry!

Andrew

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jandey- If you come out here in the Costa Mesa Area this summer or fall. e-mail me and come by. Same to you Andrew. You don't have to drive by- stop in and enjoy. Bill

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Bill, you are a gentleman! As it happens I will be there; I'll email you with details.

Jen

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi Bill,
    I really appreciate the invite but I wont be able to make it. I had back surgery last November and at my last follow up last Monday, was told that I will probobly need another now because one of the titanium screws busted! Not too happy about that news! I was planning a vacation to FL around 4th of July but may end up recovering from back surgery. Not to sure how this summer is going to go. Thank god for my plumeria and other tropicals. They still can keep me in a good mood.

Andrew

11 years ago

Hey Jen,

When are you planning a trip out west? You dont have to answer on the forum if you dont want. Sned me an email. I was just wondering about dates.. : )

Everytime i see Bill's Lani, im just overwhelmmed by its beauty!! This is one that all must have!!!

You will really like meeting Bill and his lovely wife!! She is a gem!!! Have fun looking around and smelling all of those blooms.. Just dont park on the street. LOL you may get a ticket.!!! isnt that right Bill? LMAO!!!
    You are a gentleman...i can't say it enough. Thank You for all that you do...

Mahalo,

Laura

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Gee, Laura, I'm not sure Bill could handle BOTH of us in one visit! I'd be firing off six hundred questions on one side while you exclaimed over each and every beautiful bloom on the other. Yep, we'd be enough to wear anyone out. ;)

Andrew, I'm sorry to hear about your back! Are your plumies so big already that you're snapping titanium screws moving them around? Take it easy and let it heal before you try to do too much!

Jen

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi Jen,
    I wish that was the case! No, I do have some larger potted tropicals but I do have help with moving them..

Not really sure how I broke that screw...maybe it was defective?

Andrew

11 years ago

Hello Everyone!!

Jen,

LOL.. I think Bill could handle us!! :) We would have a time though in his yard. Plenty of Things to look at and appreciate. His yard is just beautiful...

Have a wonderful time visiting CA!!!

Andrew.. it has to be a defective screw.. OMG!! I still can't believe this has happened...

Please be careful lifting anything at this point...

Take care...

Laura

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington