Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumerias_lover

Another wrinkled issue

plumerias_lover
9 years ago

My neighbor gave one of her plumerias to me today. I am still very thrilled and very happy about it. However, I noticed that it has wrinkled stems. I sprayed Bayer 3 in 1 at the trunk and stems. I am thinking that, the next step, I may want to do "up potting" per kms2 suggestion. My question is, should I wait until next spring?

Thanks,

Comments (13)

• plumerias_lover
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more picture

• plumerias_lover
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The last one.

Thanks for any input.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

PL,
    Its a very nicely shaped plant you have. That container appears to me to be large enough for your plant. I am concerned about how small and young the leaves look at this time of year.

I would recommend that you raise the soil level in the container. To do this I prefer to raise it from the bottom up rather than just adding soil at the top. If you slide the plant and root ball out of the container and add about an inch of soil. Test fit and then add more if needed. Then add soil around the sides so you can give your plant some more room to grow roots. You also can inspect your plant's roots for any potential problems such as being root bound, high water retention, ant nest/hollows in the root ball taking up space, etc. I like to use crushed rock to top dress the container.

Aways steer clear of using drip saucers or pans which may hold water and If the container's drain holes are not in direct contact with the ground then I like to use a wick to help water drain out of the bottom of the container.

If you have the opportunity to take some pictures of the root ball once you slide it out please post. Hope this helps.

• plumerias_lover
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi kms2,

Today, I did what you suggested. I don't think that my plumeria has roots rotted (please see the picture). I think it's a very good news. I noticed that the soil at the bottom is a little bit moist. But, the soil is so loose like grains. The roots look healthy and are bound. Usually, I put the pot on the pot feet. I hope I didn't add too much soil at the bottom and left only about an inch or 1 1/2 '' of the pot rim. I added a little bit of fungicide dust to the soil. I'm not sure whether it is a good idea. But, my plants have been having problem with fungus. I let her sip a little bit of water because it's late in the evening. I am going to give her more water tomorrow morning. I hope this will solve the wrinkled stems problem in a few weeks.

Thanks so much for your help! I appreciate it a lot.

Chintana

• plumerias_lover
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more picture.

• plumerias_lover
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The combination of the added soil.

• plumerias_lover
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is how she looks now.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

You are welcome. Nice work. Let's wait and see if it helps. I think it will based on your picture of the roots. It looks like they needed some more room. You should see some positive results in about a week or so. The rest of your garden looks very nice as well.
    K.

This post was edited by kms2 on Sun, Sep 28, 14 at 22:25

• plumerias_lover
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi kms2,

I would like to thank you for your help. The wrinkled stems are about 80% to 90% better. When I squeezed the stems with my palm, they are firm (not soft anymore). I am very happy about it. I want you to know that I appreciate your help a lot. Thanks again.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

You are welcome. I am just happy we have a place to learn and share.

• plumerias_lover
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This is how she's doing this year. She's very healthy and started having some flowers and inflos. All of this I want to thank the_first_kms2(8/9).

She doesn't know who she is, though.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    8 years ago

Oh wow. that's great to see it's doing so well. You are very welcome.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio