Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuy415

Has anyone ever used coffee grounds in their mix?

chuy415
9 years ago

Just curious to know if it is used at all, was given a couple large bags of coffee grounds for the garden! Thought I'd ask :)

Chuy

Comments (9)

• rox146
    9 years ago

I have never for plumerias but dump them all around other bushes. Our other house was like a Starbucks in the yard... :-)) But that was when I was into roses. roxanne

• gidgetsocal
    9 years ago

Hi Chuy,

I've never used them on my plumeria, but my mom used to put the coffee grounds in the rose bed. They seemed to love it!

At Starbucks, I've actually seen a barrel with bags of coffee grounds for the garden.

Have a great day!

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

As a mix coffee grounds are very good, but be careful, just like chocolate, coffee grounds are poisonous for dogs. I would never just place it around plants where dogs could get at it.

• jandey1
    9 years ago

I use them in my mix because they're kinda airy when dry, and our soil is very alkaline. And they're free :)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

FWIW - Forum discussions frequently center on the question of adding dilute coffee/tea or grounds to plants as a 'tonic', but Arabica (coffee) and Camellia (tea) are known for their toxic alkaloid (caffeine) content and their allelopathic affect on plants as well as autotoxic (poison to their own seedlings) effects on future generations. Caffeine interferes with root development by impairing a plant's protein metabolism. This affects activity of an important bio-compound (PPO) and lignification (the process of becoming woody), crucial steps for root formation.

We also know that the tannins in both coffee and tea are known allelopaths (growth inhibitors). There are ongoing experiments to develop herbicides using extracts from both coffee and tea that cause me to want to say they might serve better as a nonselective herbicide than as a tonic. I would not use either (stale coffee or tea) by applying directly to my plants - especially containerized plants; nor would I add tea bags/coffee grounds to my container soils.

Al

• chuy415
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok- thank you all for your comments/ opinions and experiences as well. I was given tons of coffee grounds from Starbucks and didn't want to use it until I asked my gardenweb friends. ;). I don't think I will be using it - very skeptical now! But I'm glad I asked. Thank you all

Chuy

• plumejunkie
    9 years ago

@ Chuy, the safest way may be feeding the coffee grounds to compost worms 1st, then use in the garden. I use them every feeding for my worms & haven't noticed any decline in growth, they seem to love the compost tea.

Jason

• Kimo
    9 years ago

Coffee grounds are good for acid loving plants like Azaleas and African Violets. I never personally tried them on plumies, but as posted above is great in making compost.

• Quaching
    9 years ago

I have used coffee grounds from starbucks on my plumeria's but I haven't noticed a difference in the growth rate. I basically use it now as a filler. I just don't use a lot. It helps save money on soil since the coffee grounds are free and I just mix it with my soil and plant my plumeria's in pots. I started off testing it in hopes I would see an amazing difference in my plumerias but that's not the case. I also haven't noticed any type of negative impact either. Basically it just helps turn 4 bags of soil into 5 bags of soil.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz