Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lnorigb

Night-time watering

Lnorigb
10 years ago

It's been bloody hot here in my sleepy beach town. Too hot to water in the day and too damn hot to let them go their normal bi-monthly watering. So here I am, 10pm and watering by flashlight. These are my 2nd favorite blooms, on a NOID.

Comments (9)

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

Bi-monthly??? If these are rooted plants they need water during any hot times more like bi-weekly or more.

• Lnorigb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

right, bi-monthly is their normal schedule. this heat waves makes their watering weekly but only at night. =)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

My container trees are being watered bi-daily. it has been real hot for September.

Mike

10 years ago

My container trees are being watered bi-daily. it has been real hot for September.

Mike

• chuy415
    10 years ago

The droopy leaves is a sign to me- I don't want to over water either. :-) and its been pretty hot near the beaches!

Chuy

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

I water biweekly here and if needed on some that "scream at me". Lol. Then they are water as needed. My kapalua needs it every other day!!

Bi monthly seems like a dream to me!!

Don't tell my tress. ... Lol!

They really thrive with lots of water In the heat and then I let them dry out. Then water again. As the days start to cool off , I will slow down letting them send me the indication. I'm already seeing yellowing of the leaves and brown spots. So fall is near on their time clock .. Bummer!

Take care!

Nice to see you here !!!

Laura

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Hi,

It has been hot for us too. 90s for over two weeks now.

As for watering... I have been watering them 2 times a week. But even then my 1 gal pots were still droopy! So those guys and the ones in the Gritty Mix got watered every other day.

{{gwi:1202912}}Sad looking right? But she perked right up after more watering.

I also water them early in the morning like before 7am. But not much later or the sun will burn the wet leaves. If I do water at night I usually do it after the sun is down and I don't get the leaves wet in fear of mold or fungus. So far that has worked well for me.

10 years ago

What I have learned with mine in our hot hot summers is that they smaller ones could probably thrive literally sitting in a bucket of water. Root rot can become an issue in extremely hot environments were the roots get too hot and shut down just like being to cold. I try to keep my containers shaded or painted a light color to avoid that.

mike

• Lnorigb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ohh such sad droopy babies!! they're kinda cute like that. ;)

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County