Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tdogdad

pods open

tdogdad
13 years ago

here is a Sariah's Curly Pink seed pod opening and on the right is a seed that fell from a Ryann Chelsea pod that opened a few days ago. I break off pods that begin to crack open and let them finish in a south facing window.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments (10)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    13 years ago

Bill, I assume you are growing a lot of seedlings. How long does it usually take for your seedlings to bloom? Three years? More?

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I still have some eight year old that are maybe going to bloom this year. Most bloom 2-6 years. Bill Moragne had one take 20.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hey Bill,

I love those seed pods....Question...when the seeds come from a named tree (like Divine) that doesn't mean that it will be the same color? and can you call it a Divine?

I understand that the only way you can be sure that it is an XYZ would only be from a named cutting...is that correct?

What do you name your seedlings?

I have some seedlings that were given to me from Maui Gardens...They are listed as various seedlings, so I give them away as No ids trees after I root them...

Thanks Bill...

Laura in VB

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I've never seen a dried, split pod with the seeds still intact. It looks almost like a pinecone. Did you hand pollinate the pod parent plants?

• john_luvs_frangipani
    13 years ago

Hi Laura,
    Although I'm not Bill, I can answer one of your questions. The seeds that I have grown from a "known" pod were both different than the "parent" tree. The pod came from a Miami Rose. One of the seedlings was white and yellow. The second was pink. Thats only 2 out of 20 or so. The rest have yet to bloom. they are 3 years old. I guess I said all that just to say no, they are not like the parent tree.
    John
    Seedling #2

Seedling #1

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Thanks John,

So do you give them the Noid name?

Thanks!!!

Laura in VB

• john_luvs_frangipani
    13 years ago

So far that is it...NOID I have heard it takes 2-3 bloom cycles before you know the true look of the blooms. So I will wait and see if they change in the coming seasons, God willing.

John

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    13 years ago

John answered. From my experience about half of the seedlings will be very similar to the parent of the pod, a quarter will be somewhat different and the last quarter more different. Only a few are unique if you are lucky. I call them seedling #?? of the pod parent ie. CindyM.seedling #4 and if unique I give it a name. I would have to register it to officially sell it as that name but I have not gone that far as I only have two keepers to date. Seedlings of not spectacular plants are good for grafting because the root structure is far better than a cutting, but I have only dabbled in that. If I had more space, i would grow seedlings to graft, but I am way overcrowded now.

• roper2008
    13 years ago

It looks a lot like a milkweed pod. I have 3 little celadine op
    seedlings. I hoping for some blooms at 2 years. I am a newbie
    to this. Can anyone tell me how long do they bloom?

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    13 years ago

depending on your location and weather, they bloom for around 4-6 months. In a tropical environment they can bloom for 10 months. Older, established plants seem to bloom much longer and some varieties bloom longer than others. In my area (semi-coastal So.Calif.) depending on the heat of spring, my plants usually start a few in May, more in June and the bulk in July and end starts in for a few in Septmeber, more in October and most in November. It seems that the east coast and texas starts earlier and ends earlier but others can supply more accurated data. By the way, milkweed pods are much messier. My wife raises butterflies and we have tons of those messy little pods. Bill

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus