Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgecc

The Season of Hope/The Thrill of the Bloom

georgecc
10 years ago

(Warning: This is a long post. I promise not to write in epic length next time. But in all fairness - it does have a lot of pictures!)

It started in mid May - it's only my second year at this, so I may be wrong - but that seemed pretty late. I'm talking about the days when we go out, to survey every plumeria that shows any sign of life, with bare eyes, glasses, binoculars, even a microscope (as we grow more desperate), even calling psychics to find out if today is the day that my precious plumeria shows its first, glorious sign of an inflo. We look, we peak, we peer over and behind each little claw -- is that, that bubbly looking thing - an inflo - or just another leaf waiting to happen? This is the long, merciless, trying time of plumeria gardening that I optimistically call "The Season of Hope".

I did try to borrow a large microscope for early inflo identification from a research lab - but they told me they were busy "discovering things". Hey bud - I want to discover the first inflo on my Grainy Moragne!

But nothing beats the pure unadulterated shouts of joys that someone in our group makes when they realize that what looked like a pointy-headed lone amoeba atop our TBRed Tracy - was actually the first sign that an inflo was coming!

Then, to speed things up - in alphabetical order - this happened! (It didn't happen in alphabetical order, I'm just listing it that way).

The Thrill of the Bloom!

Anaheim Sunset (made up name, the real name is unknown)

Bali Hai Gold - what a scent this has!

Bill Moragne - huge inflo, grape Koolaid scent, and photogenic on webcams

California Sunset

Celadine

Not Celadine, but an attractive relative

Desert Sunrise

Divine

Dutch Orange. It's a beauty. my friend is trying to register this one (unless it turns out to be something else - in which case he'll have to change the name).

Edi Moragne

yes, that's 7 petals on that Edi - and without steroid use!

Elizabeth Thornton Lemon Drop

Firestorm - love the colors on this one

Gold Coast Peachy - if a plumeria can be described as "endearing", this one is it. Makes me happy to pass by it and whiff its wonderful scent. Thank you, Australia! (Will post pics of its Aussie cousin, Cooktown Sunset, soon.)

Grainy Moragne

Grove Farm

Heidi

I Have No Idea (really, I got it from someone in Orange County that said it was a Jeannie Moragne. Even extraterrestrials know that this is not so. Now last time this seller sold me a Jeannie M. it turned out to be a Gina! Why not this time?

Jeannie Moragne (need I say more - my no. 1 in a big list of faves)

Kaneohe Sunburst

Katie Moragne

Kauka Wilder

Kimo - first time it opens and with four inflos!

Lani's Beauty - in the heat

Maui Beauty's Cousin Bob (Bob Beauty) - again, sold as a Maui Beauty - don't know what it is, but it's family (and a great bloomer).

Miami Rose

Mona Lisa - not a lot of blooms this year, but it's young

Pop's Red

Rainbow 36 - blooms were more dramatic last year. Still beautiful.

Red Moragne

Safari (I believe this is Safari - but let me know if now)

Samirie - planted it on the hill, like the mother tree in Kauai (before the hill was bulldozed for a condo project!). Thank you, Tom Morin (not for the bulldozer, but for saving Samirie)!

Stenopetala - a skinny vine-like plumeria plant from Cuba. The bud resembles a hummingbird's profile. I put on some Celia Cruz music and take in the incredible scent that this potent little flower packs.

TBred Tracy - what a strange name. Great plant, thick bushy tips and lots and lots of blooms. Smells like unsweetened chocolate to me. Looks remind me of Red Moragne.

Theodora Crimson - my friend is trying to register this one, too (unless it turns out to be something else - in which case he'll have to change the name). Great velvety crimson flower - wonderful scent, big bloomer. So far this has not been a fussy red. Love this one! (It does not however photograph well, like most real reds. Imagine something 50 times more beautiful than these pics)

Udi Yeud - cutting last year, first inflo this year. Nice unusual scent (little anise in there?). Small pure yellow star shaped flowers.

Unknown Speckled Pink (If you know him, let me know!)

Unknown Yellow

WIldfire

Pics of my young yard - Na Pali! ("The Cliffs!" in Hawaiian, when said enthusiastically), The Swimming Hole and The Springs

Pics of Swimming Hole and Na Pali when I first moved in

Collecting flowers for leis (Southern California Style - with a laundry basket!)

Ending with a sunset behind a Cuban Royal Palm's frond

A little kid came up to me recently, and innocently asked "Mister - Do you think that that William Moragne, Sr. will have more than one inflo this year?" (Kids in Simi Valley are surprisingly plumeria savvy, unlike most counties in SoCal). "We can only hope, I said - as long as there's summer (and grow lights), there is always hope." He nodded in agreement, anticipating that great smell of grape Koolaid, coming from not just one branch - but two! That is the kind of giddy anticipation that drives us, each year, from The Season of Hope to the The Thrill of the Bloom.

PS: Will post some more blooms when they open. Still awaiting a few inflos!

Comments (30)

• chuy415
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Paradise!!!!! Need I say more? Never seen so many beautiful blooms and colors and shapes...... Thanks so much for sharing! Heavenly :-)

Chuy

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Chuy, I really appreciate it.

• blooker
    10 years ago

You have a beautiful collection and a beautiful yard. I love how you transformed the hill into paradise.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Are you kidding me?! You're such a tease! LOL

Ok so at first I was mentally making notes of which ones were my favorite... but then as I scrolled I realized I love all of them so I lost count!

That's one gorgeous collection. Why do you all have to be so far from me! I wish you were closer so I can come and sniff! :(

Thank you for sharing. Can't wait to meet you soon! Check your email.

L

This post was edited by No-Clue on Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 12:49

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

That was a very enjoyable post and a very beautiful collection. You yard looks perfect for plumies, especially the Pali. Thanks for taking the time to post this. Bill

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Simi!!

This is an incredible post.. I know it took time to pick the pics!!! So many to choose from. ;-)

Are you sure you aren't part of " Fantasy Island?" I think I see airplanes landing near your backyard!!! Time for vacation on " Na Pali" ? Lol

You have done so much with this beautiful piece of land.. Still can't believe all of the beauty coming from so many different trees. My head is spinning from all of the colors and the lovely size of the blooms!!

BRAVO!!! You have done an excellent job transforming this clear piece of land into a tropical paradise... Just love the look!!!

Great Job, George!!!

Did I see glue around that Edi? Lol!!! Sewing thread?

Laura

• rox146
    10 years ago

Thanks soooo much for the blooms you shared on here and yesterday in real life. Cannot wait to see the yard....OUTSTANDING! roxanne

• texasplum
    10 years ago

Just an amazing place

• blooms4me2
    10 years ago

my jaw is still on the floor!!!! those are incredible gorgeous blooms,! No favorites there Love them all WOW

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chuy, I'm still thinking about your wonderful comment. Thanks again!

Blooker, thank you so much. I'm on year three of a 10 year plan to fix up this place! I have other sections of the yard - the Springs, The West Lawn, and the last two - The High Country and the Farmhouse Garden are the only ones without plumeria. It's been fun.

No-Clue, glad you liked the collection. You know I've got something for you!

Tdogdad, I really appreciate your comments. Coming from you that means a lot. Thank you so much.

Laura Laura Laura, thanks for all the times I've had to ask you for help and to share details about this and that in the yard and get great feedback from you. You know how I value and appreciate your comments. Thank you so much. All the gardens thank you!

Roxanne, you're welcome on my bringing the blooms, I was really glad to share them! And thank you for the boat tour of all the houses with plumeria trees in Ventura Harbor. That was a blast! I look forward to the first meeting of the Ventura County Plumeria Society (is that what we're calling it?)

Texasplum, thank you, and blooms4me2, thank you, too.

I appreciate all the encouragement. I've got a lot of work to do still, this is a great motivator!

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing! Our yard is just a hodgepodge of plants, but I love when someone has a vision!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Simi!!!

It certainly is my pleasure...

Na Pali is simply beautiful!!!

Strong work!!

Have a great holiday!!

Laura

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

SimiNude - Your posts are always a joy to read. Definitely you have a way with the typed word! :)

Your photos/yard/flowers are absolutely stunning. I will say no more as everyone has said anything that could be said.

I will refrain from asking about the boat in the pool but will ask about that piece of concrete in one of the photos with your stenopetala. Do you call that a pineapple or an artichoke? Just asking because I have the same piece and I swear it more resembles an artichoke than a pineapple. :)

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Seminude, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I want to be your neighbor!!

(Irrespective of your wardrobe choices. Hehe.)

Thank you for taking the time to post the lovely blooms, and to show what these trees look like incorporated into the landscape instead of in pots. You've done an amazing job in just three years with the land you have! Bravo!!

I am REALLY looking forward to seeing blooms on some of those varieties we share, George ;)

Y'all have fun with the new Ventura plumeria group!

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Disneyhorse, thank you! I've attached a pic of the work-in-progress vision for the whole yard. I'm ahead of schedule on my 10-year plan!

Jandey, talk about laughing and having a good time, I wish you were my neighbor, too! Let alone the plumerias we'd have to look at!

Moonie, I got the canoe to take to rivers and lakes - but we don't have that many and I haven't gotten around to it. In the meantime, I ride it almost every day in the pool! It;s great exercise when you can only go in a tight circle! The dogs love it. And about the concrete thing - lol, I had to look at the pic to see what you meant. That thing in the fountain! I always thought it was an abstract acorn - but I like your ideas, too!

Laura, all my 27-petal Divine flowers are authentic, LOL, let alone the 7-petal underachieving Edi Moragne flower I posted. I love laughing with you, you and Jandey crack me up.

Guess what I found today - a Cathy Moragne! Yes - I didn't know they had a Cathy, but they do. What a crackup. No inflo, so we have to wait to see what this looks like. Unless someone has a pic of Cathy M.?

Will post more bloom pics and pics of yard, once I actually clean the yard!

• dthrooop
    10 years ago

Such a beautiful collection, George! Thanks so much for sharing. It's a sure treat to see such a variety together and so close to home, I used to think Simi didn't have an arboretom ;-) I look forward to seeing you again in a few weeks. For those not in the know, it's been in the high 90's for more than a week now and pretty humid for this stretch of the county. Be careful, George or you might have some people in the pool before it's all over!!

Cheers!!
    Dan

• texasplum
    10 years ago

All I can say is that plan looks like heaven to me! Thank you for sharing!

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dan, come over and swim! But I may have to take a picture of you paddling the canoe with the dogs! You'll have fun, as you mentioned, it's very hot right now. Hey, I really appreciate the arboretum comment, that's really nice. Really looking forward to the meeting!

Taxasplum, thank you very much. I waited a long time to have a house, so I had a long time to plan all the things I wanted to do. I'm doing them.

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dan, when I was in college, I used to go all the time to the LA County Arboretum. It was cheap, big and beautiful - they even have the lagoon and the cottage with the belltower where they used to film Fantasy Island. And a good friend of mine got married in the giant Victorian-looking greenhouse at the San Francisco Arboretum - what a beautiful place that was. So I like arboretums a lot.

• rox146
    10 years ago

I cannot wait to see it today...making room in my car for ....I hope there is a place to cram the crocosmias in...I think you will like them...it will be so great to smell them all.....roxanne

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

George,

It was so nice to finally meet you yesterday. Although I still do not know how you missed us walking by w/ the GIANT Cherokee Geisha on my baby's head! LOL.

Thank you very much for bringing TC to me! I love her already. I don't have anything quite like that so she's very special. Deep red with a nice fragrance = LOVE!

As for your lovely yard, if you keep that up we might have to renew our wedding vows at your place! LOL

Have a blessed day!
    Lynn

This post was edited by No-Clue on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 20:53

• Kimo
    10 years ago

George,
    Loving the explosion of color and beauty in your patch, truly AMAZING!!! When you see flowers like yours it makes it all worth while. Thanks for sharing and the fabulous show. Did you plant all the trees in the ground yourself, who needs a gym when you have plumies to plant..
    Loving your canoe in the pool, like a mini lake, I think Ill have to get one for my pool now.

Thanks again
    Cheers

• Minderella
    10 years ago

All your blooms are beautful

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynn, It was a pleasure meeting you Sunday! That Cherokee Geisha was so huge and beautiful that I thought it wasn't real! Amazing!! Im really glad you like Theodora, it's such a great and easy red.

Freak, thank you so much for the kind words, I really appreciate them, given your amazing patch. I recommend the pool canoe! Thanks again.

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Simi- thank you! I've seen your post about 3 times and have really fallen in love with ALL if them!! Just stunning!! I'm speechless :-)

Chuy

• pcput
    10 years ago

Simi - I've got one word for you - "Showoff" LOL
    BEAUTIFUL!!!
    Peg

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chuy, that means a lot to me, thanks!

Peg, it's the plumies that are showing off, they can't help it, lol! Thank you though!

I hope to put up some pics of new blooms soon, and maybe so more before/after yard pics.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

I'm still chuckling over Cousin Bob. Some of your NOIDs are wonderful, like the unknown yellow.

Please report back on Lutica's scent when it opens! It's been a while since mine bloomed so I have to go on memory, but it's right up there with Edi's fragrance (Edi looks amazing with 7 petals, btw!). Lutica seems unhappy with the Texas heat :(

• nativec
    10 years ago

I'm on visual overload! So many beautiful blooms! Love your Na Pali :)

• pcput
    10 years ago

Now Simi you have to take some credit. These things don't do all that all by themselves! It takes REAL work and you obviously have it down pat. Keep up the good work.
    Peg